Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2005, 04:55 PM   #15

Thank you Rusty.
Kssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #16

Personally, I just loosen the U bolts and the top draw down bolt, pull the hitch head off the cradle, pull the release handle, and lift the bottom cradle part (with tube attached) out of the socket.

I reinstall the same way- just make sure that everything is lined up so the tube is all the way in the socket, and the release handle/crossbolt fully seats. I torque the draw down bolt to 40 pounds per the directions, though I go a little more on the U bolts.

My trailer used to seem to buck back and forth somewhat when stopping, but after I switched to Brakesmart, it stops very smoothly. I think before it was more a matter of the trailer brakes not very well proportioned to the truck brakes than flex in the hitch...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:46 AM   #17

I do the same as Jeff. Just be sure to catch the correct hole in the drop tube as it has 2 for different levels of bed to frame dimensions. Mine uses the top hole, meaning it drops down the furthest. I caught the first hole by mistake once and immediately noticed it was wrong as it never could torque down to the bed.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
According to Joe Work (the "W" in B&W), the lower hole in the adapter tube is for trucks with thick bed mats. One could certainly pull the companion 5th wheel hitch frame out with the adapter tube still attached, but I store my hitch flat on the garage floor, so I slide the frame off the tube before removing the tube.

Whatever works for you!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote