Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2015, 12:32 AM   #15

On a 20 ft truck it's common and acceptable to see 2 in of flex and the metal will still not be effected. Most structural design allows up to 1 in per 120 in .
The right design will flex.
Wonder why the Ram is among the 10 most dangerous vehicle to be in, in an accident. Look at KBush hitting the wall at 180 mph. Something has to give. All truck frames have holes to crush on impact so solid may not be suitable after all.
Yes it's a marketing ploy. But it's a trick. Believe it that the frame needs to twist.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #16

Who the heck does this to a truck in every day use?
carnaval time.
C channels are prone to less corrosion from trapped moisture ,in 10 years the Fiats will be more likely to fold up.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
On a 20 ft truck it's common and acceptable to see 2 in of flex and the metal will still not be effected. Most structural design allows up to 1 in per 120 in .
The right design will flex.
Wonder why the Ram is among the 10 most dangerous vehicle to be in, in an accident. Look at KBush hitting the wall at 180 mph. Something has to give. All truck frames have holes to crush on impact so solid may not be suitable after all.
Yes it's a marketing ploy. But it's a trick. Believe it that the frame needs to twist.
I believe you read the nhtsa ratings wrong. Ram and ford have exact same crash test rating. You must remember the f150 a few years back was the worst rated pickup in history of crash test ratings. You need to look for another angle to bash ram now.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Ford frame twist

Well, after watching the test video, was not really surprised except for the damaged tail gate. Ford has, for many years had a substantial frame flex. Having been a service writer and QC for the Air Force vehicle fleet for almost 40 years and having many of our crew cab long box Fords run the comm. lines in SD to missile sites, have saw the results of frame flex first hand. Never though have I seen tail gate damage. Suspect that the box design and strength play into that. Have saw many rear cab corners dented from the contact though. Now, in Fords defense, "never" have I seen a frame that was twisted, cracked, or damaged in any way. Would think that unless you plan to haul or tow on uneven surfaces like off road, wouldn't concern me in the least.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #19

I my mind flex in the frame is a bad thing. Cars have become more solid by adding stiffness to the uni-body. This allows the suspension to be improved to isolate road irregularity from the driver.

In 1/2 ton trucks Ford has the best frame and Toyota the worse. In 3/4 and 1 ton trucks Chevy and Ram have the best frames. Best = less flex. I view the 'C' channel used by Ford to be a weakness.

That being said...how weak? To me the trucks today are so much better than even a few years ago. And the Ford is still a good truck. Same as Ram and Chevy...all good trucks.

I remember as a kid riding in the truck bed...yes, when I was a kid this was legal. You could not put your fingers between the cab and the bed because the truck flexed so much you could get your fingers crushed. I doubt in any truck built today that it is still an issue.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cool Frame flex

What ever the crash test results between trucks, would much rather be in "any" truck in a crash rather in one of them "rice burners". lol Let alone, the ones that pull in front of us.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
Tests always seem to come out in favor of whichever company is spending the most for advertising with the testing magazine/company at the time.... Buy what you like and get on with life....
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test