Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #1

International 4000 LP series

Hi
I'm looking for real world experience with the International 4000 LP series MDTs with specs in the range of 230HP/600+torque, probably Allison 3000 series auto. Gradeability, cruising speed, MPG, etc. GTW 14000#

GC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Why??? I've been driving propane-powered pickups and farm tractors since they were first popular back in the 1950s. Most of those pickups were dual-fueled - they ran on either gasoline or propane by flipping a valve. I haven't had a propane-powered pickup in a lot of years, but I still have a 50-year old Massey-Ferguson Model 50 that has never used anything but butane/propane fuel. Propane-fueled engines burn cleaner, and with comparable maintenance, will last at least twice as long as the same engine running gasoline. Witness my of MF-50 that has never had an engine overhaul. But they burn about 20% more fuel and have less power than the gasoline version. And right now propane with the road tax paid costs about the same as gasoline with the road tax paid.

Back in the 1950s, we ran untaxed "tractor" propane in our pickups. It cost 7 cents per gallon while gasoline cost over 25 cents per gallon. So it was worth the risk to run the untaxed propane to save a buck. But the internal revenue folks at both federal and state levels didn't appreciate us using untaxed fuel, so they clamped down in the 1960s. I don't know about propane - nobody uses it in farm tractors now - but the "red" untaxed diesel in your pickup tank can get you a huge fine.

I love my old MF-50. It's retired now - like me - and doesn't work more than about 20 hours per year. But I would much rather have a diesel engine than a propane-powered engine in a truck, or in a working farm tractor.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Why??? I've been driving propane-powered pickups and farm tractors since they were first popular back in the 1950s. Most of those pickups were dual-fueled - they ran on either gasoline or propane by flipping a valve. I haven't had a propane-powered pickup in a lot of years, but I still have a 50-year old Massey-Ferguson Model 50 that has never used anything but butane/propane fuel. Propane-fueled engines burn cleaner, and with comparable maintenance, will last at least twice as long as the same engine running gasoline. Witness my of MF-50 that has never had an engine overhaul. But they burn about 20% more fuel and have less power than the gasoline version. And right now propane with the road tax paid costs about the same as gasoline with the road tax paid.

Back in the 1950s, we ran untaxed "tractor" propane in our pickups. It cost 7 cents per gallon while gasoline cost over 25 cents per gallon. So it was worth the risk to run the untaxed propane to save a buck. But the internal revenue folks at both federal and state levels didn't appreciate us using untaxed fuel, so they clamped down in the 1960s. I don't know about propane - nobody uses it in farm tractors now - but the "red" untaxed diesel in your pickup tank can get you a huge fine.

I love my old MF-50. It's retired now - like me - and doesn't work more than about 20 hours per year. But I would much rather have a diesel engine than a propane-powered engine in a truck, or in a working farm tractor.
4000 series L(ow)P(rofile)
GC45 is offline   Reply With Quote