Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboPals View Post
Wow! Who knew? Thanks for sharing. I am going to show this to my son. Do you need to have the truck running when you use the inverter?
No. With 2 big batteries, that hasn't been a problem. I am sure there are others here that could tell us how long it would take to be a problem. If I were to use a Skill saw etc for a long period of time I probably would run engine from time to time just to keep the batteries up. A few years ago we were at a family reunion where another member had brought a TV and CD/DVD player to show pictures and videos on. It ran for a long time (I have no idea how long now) and I didn't run the engine. I have hauled that invertor around in the engine compartment for about 8yrs now.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
Very interesting, Cliff, and certainly good to know-even in a pinch. I have a 4k inverter that was too big for my trailer, but I carry it around. Might come in handy one day.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #17

A word of caution about running things in the Trailer from the TV bats. If you run to long or have too high a demand, you could end up with dead TV bats come morning. I typicially disconnect the trailer plug from the TV and just run on the dual 12V bats I have in the front cargo area or when we had a TT dual bats mounted on the tongue behind the propane tanks. Just my thoughts
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #18
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
A word of caution about running things in the Trailer from the TV bats. If you run to long or have too high a demand, you could end up with dead TV bats come morning. I typicially disconnect the trailer plug from the TV and just run on the dual 12V bats I have in the front cargo area or when we had a TT dual bats mounted on the tongue behind the propane tanks. Just my thoughts
That's good advice. We only use it for the microwave for a few minutes. Most other things in our RVs will run off the 300 watt on the RV battery.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
That's good advice. We only use it for the microwave for a few minutes. Most other things in our RVs will run off the 300 watt on the RV battery.
I was only asking that out of curiosity, and would only use it in an emergency, i.e., to run the air compressor from the outside plug on the TT to fill a flat tire until I could make it to where I could call AAA. I most likely would use nothing more than my computer, music, maybe the TV.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh, again this depends on the size of the inverter, but in MANY vehicles, including as I recall Chrysler products, GM products and my Workhorse, there is, somewhere (usually under the dash) a bolt or two that are battery positive, these are connected to the battery direct, no fuse, and with fairly heavy cable.

I can not, however, speak to your truck.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Oh, again this depends on the size of the inverter, but in MANY vehicles, including as I recall Chrysler products, GM products and my Workhorse, there is, somewhere (usually under the dash) a bolt or two that are battery positive, these are connected to the battery direct, no fuse, and with fairly heavy cable.

I can not, however, speak to your truck.
Thanks, I'll look for them. I thought what I'd do is next time I have it in for service, i'll ask one of the guys there, too.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #22

"Here's another idea from someone who knows nothing about the electrical workings of either her trailer or truck: Would it be too much of a drain on my truck batteries to leave the trailer hooked up and run the inverter in the trailer?"

I believe all newer trucks are set up so that the truck batteries CAN NOT be drained by a trailer through the harness--electricity can ONLY flow from the truck to the trailer (diode? in line). Also, battery charge line not live unless truck is running.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post

I believe all newer trucks are set up so that the truck batteries CAN NOT be drained by a trailer through the harness--electricity can ONLY flow from the truck to the trailer (diode? in line). Also, battery charge line not live unless truck is running.
Joe
Thank you, Joe. I've decided to ask my Dodge dealer about all the 'ins and outs' of using the trailer. Before I go off on another long trip, I'm still thinking of getting a small Honda generator.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #24

I hope your Dodge dealer is much better than most--I haven't run across any service advisors (I am a Ford guy) who knew anything about towing, trailer hookups, etc., unless they are trying to deny a warranty claim due "to towing too much load" or some such deal.
This forum and others like it can be a better source of information, particularly other Dodge owners.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Nope, Dodge has always kept pin 4 (battery +12VDC) hot even when the truck is shut off. It was so in my 1996, my 2002 and I just checked pin 4 to pin 1 (ground) in my 2011 and got +12.72VDC. Therefore, the safe approach is to unplug the trailer from the truck if you're going to draw heavily on the trailer batteries for a sustained period of time (like, overnight with the furnace running and no AC power). Otherwise, you may well find the truck batteries dead when you try to start it up.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Nope, Dodge has always kept pin 4 (battery +12VDC) hot even when the truck is shut off. It was so in my 1996, my 2002 and I just checked pin 4 to pin 1 (ground) in my 2011 and got +12.72VDC. Therefore, the safe approach is to unplug the trailer from the truck if you're going to draw heavily on the trailer batteries for a sustained period of time (like, overnight with the furnace running and no AC power). Otherwise, you may well find the truck batteries dead when you try to start it up.

Rusty
Rusty, I'm getting a little confused. I always disconnect the truck from the trailer as soon as I park. I'm starting to lean toward getting a Honda 1000 and using my 100 watt inverter (if Dodge says it's okay) in the truck.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Then you're fine. I didn't mean to confuse you - I was responding to Wingnut60's post. Dodge doesn't use a battery isolation relay, so the truck batteries are connected to the trailer batteries as long as the trailer cord is plugged into the truck.

Plugging a 100 watt inverter into your truck's lighter socket is an entirely different matter and shouldn't create any problems unless you were using it for a sustained period of time with the engine not running.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Then you're fine. I didn't mean to confuse you - I was responding to Wingnut60's post. Dodge doesn't use a battery isolation relay, so the truck batteries are connected to the trailer batteries as long as the trailer cord is plugged into the truck.

Plugging a 100 watt inverter into your truck's lighter socket is an entirely different matter and shouldn't create any problems unless you were using it for a sustained period of time with the engine not running.

Rusty
Thank you very much for your time, Rusty.