Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #15

RustyJC stated:
"Your point is taken that, whatever tow vehicle one might have, there's something more capable out there - just as a tandem dually Class 8 tractor would dwarf the capabilities of your MDT."

Let’s not put words in my mouth.
What I am saying is there are probably just as many overloaded ¾ ton and 1 ton trucks as there are ½ tons. With truck salesmen touting towing capacity and RV salesman touting unloaded trailer weight many RV owners get a trailer too large for their truck.

You use a 20% pin weight to calculate the truck load from the fifth wheel. My pin weight runs at a minimum of 25%. When I do craft shows my pin weight will exceed 30%. For me you use a very conservative pin weight percentage. With truck salesmen over rating the trucks, RV salesmen underestimating the weight of the trailer, and owners using conservative percentages it is easy to understand why we have overloaded trucks, especially LDT’s.

One other point. You stated: “just as a tandem dually Class 8 tractor would dwarf the capabilities of your MDT.”

With a GVWR of 31K, that puts my truck in as a class 7. If you note in this link a Class 7 truck is considered an HDT.

Truck Classification

tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'm not sure how this discussion took this particular path, but I'm really not interested in playing "yours is bigger than mine."

I'm glad you have a tow vehicle that meets your requirements. I sincerely hope that this thread helps other users be sure that their tow vehicles and RVs are properly matched as well.

Happy Thanksgiving and happy RVing.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #17

You are the one that got on this path.

The original post concerned how easy it is to have an overloaded ½ ton pickup.

In my first post I simply stated it is just as easy for a ¾ ton and 1 ton trucks to be overloaded. In simple terms the smaller the truck the easier it is to over load.

That is all I was trying to say.

You read something else into it.
tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yes, any truck can be overloaded.

The last word is yours, Mr. Nance.

Have a good day.

Rusty
Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I'm not sure how this discussion took this particular path, but I'm really not interested in playing "yours is bigger than mine."

I'm glad you have a tow vehicle that meets your requirements. I sincerely hope that this thread helps other users be sure that their tow vehicles and RVs are properly matched as well.

Happy Thanksgiving and happy RVing.

Rusty
Thank you
Old 11-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I too am a member of the been there done that club - towed my 22H with a 99 Tahoe - knew I was pushing the CGWR but until I scaled it i did not reallize how close I was to the 12,000 lb rating.

As to my formula yes it can leave some capacity on the table, however when you are out shopping for a TT, the GVWR is going to be the only number on the brochure you can believe. It also tends to elminate the need for "fudge factors" or "safety factors". Once you have your TT choice narrowed down, then you can fine tune the numbers. Also the CGWR, and GVWRs are all round numbers which makes it easy to add and subtract them in your head.

As for towing a 5th wheel with a 1/2T, I would really have to think twice because it is so easy to exceed the GVWR or GAWR of these trucks.

Rusty, I though the subject here was 1/2T trucks, my formula works best on that class of truck - not 3/4T, or 1T duelys.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
Rusty, I though the subject here was 1/2T trucks, my formula works best on that class of truck - not 3/4T, or 1T duelys.
Randy,

I'm sorry. I guess I missed that caveat. I'll have to try to find some ratings for a 1/2T and try it out.

Rusty
Old 11-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many of us have been in the situation of a smaller or downsized tow vehicle and a trailer at the edge or over the ratings. Many of us got there by following the "tow ratings" of the truck manufacturer and not knowing how they were conceived.

If we would have only had the resources like the Internet at our resources back when we started RVing.

I just love to hear the stories of some one moving up a truck size to the appropriate sized vehicle.

Many of us have been there and done that. I do not mind trying to help any one understand the rating and trying to keep them fro m making a costly mistake.

What I hate are the ones that are towing over with their 1/2 ton trucks and telling everyone that they are doing just fine, based on their first towing experience or towing 30 minutes twice a year to the season site.

Ken
Old 11-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #23

The trailer stops ITSELF. If it doesn't there is something wrong. The tongue weight is always less than a 1/2 ton can carry SAFELY. If it is 5th wheeler that is most likely not the case. If you have a tongue weight heavy enough to affect your ride then all you add is a weight distribution hitch. It will stop the up and down bouncing from the trailer. The only side effect of a heavy trailer is how slow you go uphill. Why are you making this out to be such a problem? Is it because you want to do 70 mph up a hill? I don't care if you m/ove up to the next weight class pickup. It's the same engine and transmission power potential. Why are people second guessing the manufacturer of the tow vehicle?

So my opinion is simple. If the tongue load does not exceed the weight carrying capacity of the 1/2 ton truck and the hitch chosen there is nothing overloaded.Braking capacity of the towing vehicle does not matter. If you are uncomfortable with the bouncing up and down, buy a weight distribution hitch and stop worrying about nothing.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #24

Good grief. Sounds like a buch of 70 year old widow women sitting around talking about the new at the retirement village, good looking 60 year old widow woman .

Part of the problems is some folks don't realize the manufactures understand what the legal difinition of overloaded truck is and it sure isn't GVWR.

Also not all folks that have a 1500 truck pull a RV. There into other endeavors using their 1500 trucks pulling something other than a RV.

If there are so many overloaded trucks out here why doesn't it show up with broke down trucks from overloading on the side of the road. Most I see are without any trailer in tow.

The new 1500 truck tow rating are for the new gen 1500 trucks not the old trucks many of you/me rightly complain about from years past. These newer gen trucks have more capacity/bigger brakes/better and safer running gear/drivetrain/etc than the older 2500 trucks.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
I happened to be on the Keystone Cougar website & spied a category labeled "1/2 TON SERIES". Just for the heck of it I downloaded the 2011 brochure to see what they had. To my surprise, they showed 14 models they claim are towable by 1/2 ton trucks. That included a 9000 lb, 35ft+ TT & a 10,200 lb, 31ft+ 5-r.
Just a few days ago I was leafing thru my 10' Cougar brochure and remember out of the 10 floor plans, only 2 were listed as "1/2 Ton Series" models (245 RKS & 276 RLS 6582 lbs & 7220 lbs.) In the picture of the floorplans only two had the words "1/2 ton series" highlighted over the two smallest units 26' and 29' models.

On the website are you looking under X-lite? If you click on floorplans here it will ask you to Please select on either X-lite or 1/2 ton to view floorplans. If you click on 1/2 ton here it shows only 3 of the smaller 5ers. and trailers up to about 6500lbs. The website is a little confusing. There appears to be regular Cougars and X-lite Cougar's both 5ers and TT's in both lines.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
On the website are you looking under X-lite?

No. You have to go to the Brochures page. Just put in some bogus info in the *'d boxes & click on Download a Brochure. Do this 2x. You'll eventually get to a page titled Download Your Digital Literature. In the bottom left of that page you'll see 2011 Cougar Half-Ton Series Brochure. That's the one that had the 14 models.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ya I was afraid to enter any info in the boxes, seeing I might be put on a Spam list, and I would be getting even more useless email. The last few weeks we have been getting hammered with junk email. How many other Cougar's were listed as non 1/2 ton series models. ?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:23 PM   #28
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can enter anything in those boxes. Your email address isn't required & you can fudge the rest & still get to download the brochures.

I didn't download any of the other brochures, but I would assume they'd be for 3/4t & up.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote