Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2010, 12:15 AM   #29
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
The trailer stops ITSELF. If it doesn't there is something wrong. The tongue weight is always less than a 1/2 ton can carry SAFELY. If it is 5th wheeler that is most likely not the case. If you have a tongue weight heavy enough to affect your ride then all you add is a weight distribution hitch. It will stop the up and down bouncing from the trailer. The only side effect of a heavy trailer is how slow you go uphill. Why are you making this out to be such a problem? Is it because you want to do 70 mph up a hill? I don't care if you m/ove up to the next weight class pickup. It's the same engine and transmission power potential. Why are people second guessing the manufacturer of the tow vehicle?

So my opinion is simple. If the tongue load does not exceed the weight carrying capacity of the 1/2 ton truck and the hitch chosen there is nothing overloaded.Braking capacity of the towing vehicle does not matter. If you are uncomfortable with the bouncing up and down, buy a weight distribution hitch and stop worrying about nothing.

Using your formula, I should be able to hook onto a trailer that is towed by a HDT that has a dolly in the front and a 10 ton load on it with a 1/2T PU. The tounge won't overload the PU and the brakes will stop the trailer and probably the PU too. There is more to safe handling than just stopping it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #30

That's not what i said

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Using your formula, I should be able to hook onto a trailer that is towed by a HDT that has a dolly in the front and a 10 ton load on it with a 1/2T PU. The tounge won't overload the PU and the brakes will stop the trailer and probably the PU too. There is more to safe handling than just stopping it.
The manufacturer states what COMBINED weight limit is safe for the vehicle. Your example is not in compliance with any known 1/2 ton pickup. In addition, most people who tow ignore what is a safe speed limit. Anyone who has rented a UHAUL trailer most likely has ignored the speed limit warning you see in your rear view mirror. I've towed for a good number of years. Your trailer stops itself. Your vehicle guides it along the road. The OP said overloaded or not and are they stoppable. I say there is no overload and yes they stop. I also stated that you can add devices to improve your ride. You can also add sway control. I excluded fifth wheel trailers. MANY are too heavy for most 1/2 ton trucks.

If you want to be safer try a good HARD panic stop with your trailer on an empty road. Good practice before you need it.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, we were headed south on the Indian Nation Turnpike nearing the end near Hugo, OK. We were running 65 mph (pretty stiff head wind at that point that was varying to the front quarter) and the speed limit is 75 mph. A 1/2 ton GMC pick up pulling what had to be close to a 30' bumper pull blew by us wagging and waving in the breeze. He had on WD, did not see any sway control. The truck was running rear end low, and the trailer was front end low. A really prime example of how not to tow a trailer.

I was expecting to find him in the ditch before we got to the end, but we went south headed to Paris, TX, and don't know where he went. Just based on my experience, I would not doubt that he was way over loaded on GVWR and probably over on GCWR.

Like they say, God watches over children fools and drunks.

Ken
Old 11-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #32
CD

I admit that my example was ridiculous. My point was, you can’t substitute weight and heavier tires and suspension and in the case of duals, more rubber on the road (or the lack of) when you are dealing with control and the sail effect. A long, tall trailer (which bigger RVs are) will push a light TV around when you encounter side winds and/or big truck/big RV bow wakes. How light the trailer is doesn't matter much with some of these issues. I experienced that with our present TT when we went from a 3/4t to the 1T dually. If you drive slow enough, you can tow with just about anything.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post

If there are so many overloaded trucks out here why doesn't it show up with broke down trucks from overloading on the side of the road. Most I see are without any trailer in tow.

The new 1500 truck tow rating are for the new gen 1500 trucks not the old trucks many of you/me rightly complain about from years past. These newer gen trucks have more capacity/bigger brakes/better and safer running gear/drivetrain/etc than the older 2500 trucks.
You have to go back to the 70's to find the origins of the 1500 series - they were first called heavy halfs and they were developed to get the trucks above the 6000 GVWR level so they could be excluded from emission equipment - including cat converters. They did this by increasing the payload from 1000 to 1500 lbs. Over time the F100 became the F150 and the C/K10 became a C/K15 and later Silverado 1500. I think that Dodge also made a 1000 to 1500 change as well. Since then, I have seen lots of engine and transmssion changes from bigger V6 and V8 offerings to 4 and now 6 speed trannys. What has not changed that much is the PAYLOAD capacity of these trucks - usually between 1500 and 1900 lbs (depending on mfg and cab/bed configurations). Bigger more powerfull drivetrains have boosted the CGWR - and when combined with lighter curb wts increases the tow ratings. These trucks also lack the full floating rear axle of their bigger brothers and while brakes have improved, most 1/2T are still disc/drum. Despite what RV mfgs claim are 1/2T towable units - most 1/2T trucks are NOT rated for slide in campers or 5th Wheels.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #34

Good towing vehicle reference

I had tried to download the brochure mentioned by the OP but the site must have had problems so I just now looked at it. The company is not wrong about their half ton trailers. Even the 4 fifth wheel versions are not too heavy for a properly outfitted half ton truck. I used my own 2007 Silverado as a basis. The newer trucks are rated higher.

Anyway, I found a good reference available at Car Direct.

Here are links to 2007 half ton trucks. I was surprised that Dodge was the weakest.

CARS DIRECT F150 2007
Ford F-150 Specs & Specificiations - CarsDirect

CARS DIRECT SILVERADO 1500 2007
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Specs & Specificiations - CarsDirect

CARS DIRECT RAM 1500 2007
Dodge Ram 1500 Specs & Specificiations - CarsDirect

CARS DIRECT TUNDRA 2007
http://www.carsdirect.com/research/s...02B0&year=2007

While you are there you can look up any year vehicle and then look up the chassis specs.

The thing to remember is that not all half ton trucks are the same. You have to order it properly outfitted to tow properly.

I chose the 2007 Silverado because it rides so smoothly while still able to tow a good size trailer. Can't stand an unnecessarily stiff riding truck.

One other handling add on you can try out. I know it works and I don't use it to increase what my truck can carry.

Roadmaster Active Suspension:
http://www.activesuspension.com/
Old 11-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The only problem I see with the Cars Direct site is they have listed all possible specs without reguard to the combination of options and configurations that lead to them.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, we were headed south on the Indian Nation Turnpike nearing the end near Hugo, OK. We were running 65 mph (pretty stiff head wind at that point that was varying to the front quarter) and the speed limit is 75 mph. A 1/2 ton GMC pick up pulling what had to be close to a 30' bumper pull blew by us wagging and waving in the breeze. He had on WD, did not see any sway control. The truck was running rear end low, and the trailer was front end low. A really prime example of how not to tow a trailer.

I was expecting to find him in the ditch before we got to the end, but we went south headed to Paris, TX, and don't know where he went. Just based on my experience, I would not doubt that he was way over loaded on GVWR and probably over on GCWR.

Like they say, God watches over children fools and drunks.

Ken

Did you go by Bodacious north of town?

I pulled a 24 5th wheel with a ton 1974 Ford long bed 4X4 for about 6 or 8 years all over the west and to Alaska. It scaled around 14,000 lbs when loaded to go full time. It had a 428 punched and built with a 4 speed and I had done a lot of mods on the suspension. But it still had drum brakes on all the wheels so I used to say it would slow down but not stop in fact I think the trailer helped stop the truck. I did not like it when they changed the speed limit from 55 because in the wind or when passed it was not fun you had to drive it all the time and was tiring.

Now the current set up I have when it was loaded for full timing it came in at 22,720 lbs and is a lot less stressful to drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping outside of Elk City, OK.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	6886   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010179.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	6887  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bodacious Bar B Q.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	6888  
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #37

I never paid much attention as to what others are towing until I got my 5th wheel and started paying attention to weights. Here in Utah its legal to tow "double" and its insane what people will do! yesterday I noticed all the campers headed back from easter weekend and I seen several SUV's pulling 25-35 foot trailers with a trailer full of ATV's on back. makes me cringe!

lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote