Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #1

Is it too much for a Ram 5.7?

We sold a pop up and upgraded to a TT. I am concerned that my truck is working too hard pulling our camper. It is an 08 4x4 hemi with 3.92 ratio. The max pull is 8500 lbs. The camper is a Greywolf 26rl with a shipping weight of 5711 lbs. I know it has to weigh more than that loaded and stocked. Should I worry?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriggs View Post
The max pull is 8500 lbs.
That trailer tow rating is for a base model truck with only a 150 lb driver and is calculated as the truck's GCWR - (manufacturer's curb weight + 150 lb driver allowance). The best thing you can do is to load up your truck with passengers, pets, cargo, gear, a full fuel tank, etc. and run it over the scales to get a true loaded weight. Every pound above the manufacturer's curb weight + the 150 lb driver allowance that your truck weighs should be deducted from the trailer tow rating.

Quote:
The camper is a Greywolf 26rl with a shipping weight of 5711 lbs.
Any gasser towing anywhere near its limits is going to be revving away on the grades and will get poor fuel mileage compared to what it achieves unloaded.

What is the GVWR of the camper? That's the safe weight to use for sizing purposes.

Also, seeing that this is your first post,

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #3

The shipping weight doesn't take into account any items added, ie awning, extra batteries, etc. You also need to look at the trailers GVWR and that should be well below the 8500# your TV is rated. The rating is based on a 150 lb driver and a tank of gas. Any passengers or cargo is not factored in and is taken away from the tow weight. You will also need a good WDH, brake controller, and sway bar systems. Look at the brochure on your TT and it will give you the GVWR and go from there. Don't take the salespersons word for anything.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #4

TT is GVWR 7778 lbs. I'm guessing GCWR is combined!! 14000 lbs. I have weight distribution and anti sway hitch. My truck pulls it fine but does whine on the steep slopes. We never pull more that a couple of hours away. Thanks for the welcome and answers
Old 05-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #5

You should be fine. Just remember that you truck doesn't like to pull it uphill. Go slow and you will be fine.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I never worry about pulling. I worry about stopping... Stay under rated capacity, use a good brake controller, and stay on top of the maintenance of your TT brakes..
Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #7

Thanks to all . We fell more comfortable now after hearing all of yall's comments. We will be keeping the Ram until time to go with a bigger TT!!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #8

I have the 5.7 hemi in a 09 , and pull a flagstaff 831 RKSS. I have not weighed yet , but I am guessing around. 7,000

The ram pulls really good , have the 4 point equalizer with sway control , adjust the TT brakes and it stops good

You will be good to go
Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
We sold a pop up and upgraded to a TT. I am concerned that my truck is working too hard pulling our camper. It is an 08 4x4 hemi with 3.92 ratio. The max pull is 8500 lbs. The camper is a Greywolf 26rl with a shipping weight of 5711 lbs. I know it has to weigh more than that loaded and stocked. Should I worry?
So get the truck specs and see.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #10

Also check and observe any trailer frontal area limitations as this can help determine how much continuous power is needed from the engine.