Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #15

Since you didn’t provide what style of truck 4X4,4X2 or differential type 3:73/4:10 or if it is an auto or not I am providing the Ram Body Builders Guide with the 3500HD Laramie spread sheet. This will list all of the weights allow for your truck.

Jim W.
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2011/docs/ram/rammlup3500.pdf
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #16

Ill be willing to bet you will exceed GAWR when your loaded. You are basing things on a lot of guess work. What is the trailers GVWR? Use 20% of that as your numbers and tell us what happens. While you may not hit GVWR you sure as heck will never see the advertised from the factory numbers either. Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #17

Don't forget the weight added to the trailer axles. Example if 600lbs added at rear to remove 200lbs from pin, you just added 800lbs to the trailer axles.
Art.
Rvpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a great product-

The Automated Safety Hitch | Trailer Hitch | Gooseneck Horse Trailers | 5th Wheel RVs | Flatbed Goosenecks | Fifth Wheel
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #19

interesting product. Putting an email in to determine how much pin weight it can handle, the tongue weight and additional length. thanks
Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
puttin - my anti virus stoppe dme from that site....

best do a scan
Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvpapa View Post
Don't forget the weight added to the trailer axles. Example if 600lbs added at rear to remove 200lbs from pin, you just added 800lbs to the trailer axles.
Art.
Hey Rvpapa,

I don't think so.... 600#'s is 600#'s...

Regards, Hamshog
Old 03-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamshog View Post
Hey Rvpapa,

I don't think so.... 600#'s is 600#'s...

Regards, Hamshog
Nope, he's right. It's the see-saw effect. The 600 lbs you load into the rear of the 5th wheel is obvious, but the 200 lbs that comes off the pin weight has to go somewhere - it doesn't just disappear. The only place it can go is to the trailer axles, so the load increase on the trailer axles is 600 lbs actual load weight + 200 lbs pin weight = 800 lbs.

That's one of the big problems in installing a motorcycle carrier on the back of the 5th wheel. Aside from reducing the pin weight too much, it will tend to overload the axles and/or tires.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rusty, think we need basic mechanics seminar at one of the rallies, aimed at non-engineers?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I'm from the camp that says you can never have too much pin weight when it comes to towing a fifth wheel, usually the more you have the better it tow's so if you load to remove weight from the pin it MAY have an adverse effect on your towing. Not saying it will but from my experience the more pin weight the better, course, you have to have a truck capable of handling it too.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Nope, he's right. It's the see-saw effect. The 600 lbs you load into the rear of the 5th wheel is obvious, but the 200 lbs that comes off the pin weight has to go somewhere - it doesn't just disappear. The only place it can go is to the trailer axles, so the load increase on the trailer axles is 600 lbs actual load weight + 200 lbs pin weight = 800 lbs.

That's one of the big problems in installing a motorcycle carrier on the back of the 5th wheel. Aside from reducing the pin weight too much, it will tend to overload the axles and/or tires.

Rusty
My bad! I was thinking he meant gross weight. Off the pin, on the axles is correct.. Sorry Rvpapa!!

Regards, Hamshog
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbound View Post
I have weighed the TV. The GAW (rear) was 3000 lbs with everything in the TV that will have when towing (including full fuel tank). The GAWR (rear) is 6500 lbs.. leaving 3500# margin. The pin weight of the dry 5er is 2400#. Add another 1500#s to 5er with options and cargo (will travel light) for hitch x 20% = additional 300# pin weight. Add 150# for hitch and the total GAW(rear) is 5850#. This leaves 650# clearance on GAW (rear). I forgot about weight of hitch in previous estimate.

I will certainly weight everything once we get the 5er hooked up to make sure nothing is exceeded.

Thanks for the input
It's not sufficient to be under GAWR. You also have to be under your Cargo Carrying Capacity (GVWR - Loaded truck weight). My Chevy has the Cargo Capacity posted on the door frame. I don't know if Dodge does that or if you have to calculate it.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. The Cargo Carrying Capacity is the difference between the GVWR and the laden truck weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #28

If you pay attention to loading things equally, the 60/40 ratio should not change enough to cause excessive pin weight. Then would be no need to move weight to the rear of the trailer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight