Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Is my Tow Vehicle big enough?

So I recently bought my first travel trailer a primetime tracer 245 bhs 24 ' and 5000 lbs dry. I'm using a 2012 V6 VW Tourareg which can tow 7500lbs. It kinda looks odd but pulls ok. Is my car big enough?

Englishman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV2. I'll move this thread to towing and tow vehicles to get a better answer for you.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Yea your 114inch wheel base is probably at about the limit for a 24'. I probably wouldn't go any longer than that. Make sure you have a good weight distribution hitch and you should be fine. Test it out around town and make sure you have no sway when you come to an abrupt stop or moving at higher speeds.

I'm surprised the V6 can handle that much weight. Unless your talking about the TDI V6, which is a beast.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
The 245BHS is 26' 10" long. Your tow car is kinda short but powerful. That is what makes it look odd. Also most cars like yours can only tow 5,000 lbs. so you do not see your towing combination on the road very often.

The VW must have a very solid frame plus all the towing stuff needed to tow like transmission cooler.

If you have a trans cooler and are using a weight distribution hitch plus not exceeding the weight inwhich the car can carry (people, camping gear, fuel, tongue weight) then you should be ok.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #5

Emphasis on a trans cooler
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
First off don't go by dry weight. Go by GVWR which is max weight for the trailer. That is the number to use. I made the mistake in buying a TT that was at the limit for my TV and after 1 year the DW made me sell it and we went MH. Also a V6 is going to struggle to pull it up hills and a TT that is almost if not bigger than your TV. You may not like the feel and it will wear out your VW quickly.

Good Luck
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Umm. My 52 vw is my toad. Never thought of them as a hauler. I guess it can work

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2773684569.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	497.5 KB
ID:	33753

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-165029229.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	520.9 KB
ID:	33754
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
A good sized garden tractor will pull it, but I would make sure you're vehicle can stop it safely!
2011 American Heritage 45BT ISX 650 Cummins
We believe in God and Guns if you enter this home unwelcomed be prepared to meet both.
tbwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
Looks to me the VW is pushing. At least from my angle.

But really the Touareg is built heavier then other SUV's. It is the cousin to the Porsche Cayenne. The Cayenne comes with a 500hp engine.

As an option you can get TDI Tourareg.

Not sure if the OP has this version.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The Tourareg VR6 (gasser) Sport is a tough rascal with impressive weight limits. But like all SUVs, it cannot tow a heavy trailer and haul an SUV full of people at the same time without being overloaded.

tow rating of 7700 pounds
GVWR of 6173 pounds
max payload = 1287 pounds when the wet and loaded SUV weighs only 4,886 pounds.
2012 Volkswagen Touareg Engines and Fuel Economy - MSN Autos

That means when there is absolutely nothing in the SUV except a skinny driver, that SUV can pull a TT that grosses up to 7,700 pounds. The Primetime Tracer 245 BHS has a GVWR of 7489, so it's within the "tow rating" limits. But tow ratings are extremely optimistic because they do not consider the weight of passengers and hitch weight. Assuming the normal 12.5% hitch weight of a wet and loaded TT, it will have about 936 pounds hitch weight.

1287 max payload minus 200 pounds driver minus 936 pounds hitch weight leaves only 151 pounds for passengers and "stuff" in the SUV. And that assumes the payload rating is accurate.

In other words, you're probably going to be overloaded.

You can fool yourself by claiming you won't load the RV to the GVWR, and thus reduce hitch weight, but almost all RVers load their TTs close to the GVWR by the third camping trip. And you can bet the actual available payload of your SUV won't be anywhere close to the 1,287 payload rating.

Load the SUV with driver, passengers, pets, tools and stuff that will be in it when towing. If you already have the weight-distributing hitch, then include the shank and ball mount for the hitch. Go to a truckstop that has a truck scale, fill up with gas, and weigh the wet and loaded SUV. If the shank and ball mount for the hitch are not included, then add 50 pounds to the weight of the SUV. Subtract the weight of the SUV from the 6,173 pounds GVWR, and the answer is the max hitch weight you can have without being overloaded. It will probably be a lot less than 936 pounds.

As a general rule, I'd look for a TT with a GVWR closer to 5,000 pounds to result in carefree towing with that Tourareg. Then wet and loaded hitch weight would be around 625 pounds. That would leave about another 625 pounds for driver, passengers, pets, and stuff without being overloaded. Then you'd have a fighting chance to not be overloaded. But with that 245BHS, you're probably going to be overloaded. You have enough truck to pull that much trailer, but not enough payload capacity to haul the hitch weight of that trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
It depends whether you're a UK resident or not. For some screw-ball reason, tow ratings on imported cars in the US are reduced by about 60% from their European ratings. In the US, my Kia Sedona (3.5L V6, automatic) is rated at 3500 pounds. The identical car in the UK is rated for 6600 pounds.

Obviously, if you exceed the car's GVWR, including the tongue weight, or if the combination exceeds the GCWR, you'll have a problem. IMO, a legal/insurance problem is more likely than a vehicle dynamics one.

My uncle used to tow a 19' "coach-built" (pronounced "heavy") TT with an Austin Cambridge sedan. It had a 1500cc four-cylinder engine with about 55 horsepower. They went all over western Europe with that rig (rather slowly) for several years and never had a wreck.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Originally Posted by Englishman01 View Post
So I recently bought my first travel trailer a primetime tracer 245 bhs 24 ' and 5000 lbs dry. I'm using a 2012 V6 VW Tourareg which can tow 7500lbs. It kinda looks odd but pulls ok. Is my car big enough?
Just wanted to say thanks to all for your help. I guess I need to take when loading up and not take too much.. Thanks
Englishman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
Gorlin, nice split window!

96 Dynasty 36' that does NOT wander, thanks to RuppParts.com and their superior "poly" suspension bushings
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote