Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #1

Is my truck too small

Hi All
I am new to this form and i recent purchased a 2015 Jayco Jayswift travel trailer what i need to know is my truck to small to tow this around here is what my trailer is and all the weights and then my truck any an all comments are welcom

Trailer
Jayco Jayswift 29QBS
34,9 feet
Unloaded Weight- 6,500 LBS
Dry Hitch - 685 LBS
GVWR 9,500 LBS

Truck

2006 GMC 1500HD Crew Cab Long Box it came with the tow package and all
V8-6
4.10 Ratio
Max Trailer Weight- 9900 LBS
GCWR-16,000

Hitch

Weight Carrying- ( Max Trailer Weight ) 5000lbs
( Max Tongue Weight) 600lbs

Weight Distributing ( Max Trailer Weight) 12,000 LBS
( Max Tongue Weight) 1500 lbs

I am sure my truck can tow this trailer easy i tow sleds in the winter for mountain riding any and all help is good also i do have the EQ 1200 Sway control ( equalizer ) please any help to get me started is good
NorthernCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks like you will need to equalize 185 lb off the trailer hitch weight.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well if the hitch tongue weight is 600 lbs and the spec for the trailer tongue weight is 685 there is an issue right there. And that is empty tongue weight. If you should get in an accident i think you are in trouble. Not trying to be weight police
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #4

Well- If you put a 20 % cushion in there your over or at the limit !
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #5

If the GVW of your trailer is 9,500 then your tongue weight is going to be over +1000.

Do you have the payload capacity to handle this much load?

Truck GVWR - fully loaded "wet" weight of your truck (including everything & everybody) = Payload
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCamp View Post
Trailer
GVWR 9,500 LBS

Truck
Max Trailer Weight- 9900 LBS
GCWR-16,000

Hitch
Weight Distributing ( Max Tongue Weight) 1500 lbs

I am sure my truck can tow this trailer easy
Pull it, yes, but not tow it without being overloaded.

You omitted important info required to give a definitive reply.

What is the GVWR of the truck?

How much does the truck weigh when wet and loaded with all the people, pets, tools, hitch, other stuff, and full of gas?

Dry weights are useless info. So ignore them and develop your wet and loaded weights.

With trailer GVWR of 9,500 pounds, assume it will be loaded to the max by the middle of your third RV trip. Assume hitch weight of 15% of gross trailer weight, or 1,425 pounds hitch weight. So at least your WD hitch is adequate for that trailer.

Subtract the wet and loaded weight of the truck from the GVWR of the truck and the answer is the max hitch weight you can haul without being overloaded. If that max hitch weight is not at least 1,425, then you don't have enough truck for that trailer.

As a general rule, most half-ton pickups cannot tow a trailer that weighs more than about 5,000 pounds without being overloaded. None can tow a TT that weighs 9,500 pounds without being overloaded. My F-150 is overloaded with my small TT that weighs only 4,870 pounds when wet and loaded on the road.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
You should have researched this question "PRIOR" to purchasing the trailer as you are going to find out that your truck will not have the payload capability to haul this trailer. You will have the horsepower to "pull" the trailer, but the tongue weight (plus you, passengers, equipment, tools, camping equipment, etc) will max out your payload very quickly.

To answer your question, Yes, your truck is too small.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Find the tire info tag on the driver door jam. Should find max load number, subtract weight of passengers and luggage. Whats left is available tongue weight.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCamp View Post
what i need to know is my truck to small to tow this around
Most likely, yes. With propane, batteries and a bit of gear in the trailer, you will be at about 1000-1200lb tongue weight. Add another 60-80lbs for the hitch?

What is the rear axle weight limit on your truck? Do you drive with passengers and anything in the bed?

Guess you found a good excuse to look at F250 and f350s...
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #10

It's not that your trailer is too large it's that your truck is too small. I still say that the UPPER limit for a 1/2 ton is 7500 and that is being generous. I am more worried about safety and I pull a 6500 lb trailer with a F250. Gives me peace of mind and extra room if I decide to upgrade. Please do yourself and those around you a favor and buy a new truck.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you are going to be shopping for a new truck pretty soon.

Go for a 3/4 ton diesel next time.

I bought a 27 foot trailer and tried pulling it with a GMC 1500. Added air bags in the rear, etc and finally bought a 3/4 ton pickup.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #12

I sence a white nucle drive in your future with your truck. I'm with the get a bigger truck crowd.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:53 AM   #13

Here is my truck specs off the door

The GVWR
GAWR FRONT
GVWR REAR

Also the 1500HD model is a 3/4 are they not? Or is it just the 1500 suspension with a bigger motor and trany?

Also I'd say my truck weighs 5800 wet maybe 600 with all supplies for camping
NorthernCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #14

You will likely be OK if you keep in mind that you are close to your limits. Most of the advice here is under the assumption that you are towing 9,500 lbs. BUT, that is the MAXIMUM your Jayco is rated to weigh. The advice is not wrong, because if you CAN max it, they have to assume you WILL. I would not test the limits on your Jayco's wheels, bearings, axles and frame. I have a similar Jayco with dry and max weights just like yours, and pull it with my F150 ecoboost. The specs say it is 6,500 dry, but actually just over 7,000 with the tanks and as delivered.

So, to hit that 9,500 lbs max weight means you would need to stick about 2,000 lbs of stuff inside the Jayco. Dont do that! Keep it reasonable and you will be fine. You also MUST use a WD hitch with sway control to get to your max tongue weight of 1200. That will take some of that 800-1200 hitch weight and put it on the front axle and some on the trailers axles. You will be close, no doubt. Don't put anything in your truck bed even though it is tempting, wasted space. You and the wife, with the trailer hitched up will be about all you can handle. But you will handle it fine. The stuff you put in the trailer should be lightweight camping stuff. Resist the urge to load it up with full weight things you use for normal living and buy the lighter stuff for camping. Chairs, tables, plastic ware for eating, etc. Keep it light!

I'm not discounting what anyone above has said. You are asking for advice and their advice is spot on. You (and I) should get a bigger truck because it has more capacity, and will provide a safer and more pleasant towing experience. I've got my eyes on my next vehicle, but it's not happening this year and probably not next. In the mean time, I'm towing at very close to my limits, keeping the truck at 60mph and under, staying in the slow lane, enjoying the scenery and loving the camping life! Good luck!
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote