Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Issues with my Hopkins Brake Controller

I have the 47294 controller and I've been concerned with it's operation. It has a tendency to lock up while applying firm (non-panic braking) pressure while coming to a stop. I always know the trailer brakes work well because when they lock up it's like catching the landing arrest cable on a carrier. (not that I know that feeling, but imagine being thrown into the steering wheel unexpectedly).

This typically happens when traveling on secondary roads with a slight downhill grade and bumps. I'm assuming this has to do with the internal mechanical pendulum style mechanism.

The 47294 has a bad reputation with other owners I've seen writing reviews with it's "brake bump" feature that surges the brakes to 10 percent to prevent the trailer from bumping the tow vehicle when tapping the brakes. I've noticed that bump has a tendency to jerk the trailer back instead of making anything smoother. If I adjust the power on the brakes to prevent the 'jerk', then it doesn't adequately slow the trailer to a stop.

I'm considering upgrading to a P3, which uses a digital gyroscope for braking adjustments. Should this fix my problems?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have the Prodigy and never have a problem...Is our trailer level / tow vehicle level ? I have seen people where on a tandem axle tt the tow vehicle is sagging causing the rear axle wheels on the trailer to not have as much contact on the ground, thus cause them to lock up.

On my 2005 tt I didn't have a WD hitch and had a little sag. My new tt I have a WD hitch and a don't have to adjust the brake controller as much. I now ride level...

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I have the Prodigy and never have a problem...Is our trailer level / tow vehicle level ? I have seen people where on a tandem axle tt the tow vehicle is sagging causing the rear axle wheels on the trailer to not have as much contact on the ground, thus cause them to lock up.

On my 2005 tt I didn't have a WD hitch and had a little sag. My new tt I have a WD hitch and a don't have to adjust the brake controller as much. I now ride level...
My WD hitch keeps everything nice and level. if anything I probably need to take the hitch down one notch on the bracket. My TV is perfectly level, but my trailer sits a hair high at the hitch after setting the takeup arms on the bars. It's possible that the bars I'm using are too stiff, I have 1200lb bars and my setup really only calls for 800lb bars. But I still like the way the trailer pulls on the highway. It doesn't sway at all.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:08 AM   #4

I think the P3 (or the P2) will fix this issue. The P3 has independent control over brake voltage and "boost". The boost applies a fixed voltage on the initial brake application like the "brake bump", but it is adjustable and can be turned off so it just uses inertia only. I run a P3 with a light trailer and I don't use the boost feature very often except if I'm pulling on curvy mountain roads or in stop and go traffic. Running without boost does require a bit more initial brake pedal pressure than what you would use when the trailer wasn't on the truck, but still has all the stopping power I need, it's just smoother without it. I like the P3, I think it's a good controller for the price.

Tags
brake