Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2005, 03:34 AM   #1

Hi,

Asked here about a month ago what to do with my 2001 Suburban(has 81,000 on it) that is giving me trouble starting. It spent a week between two different dealers and they never could get it to not start.

It's been getting worse. Sometimes it takes 40 turns of the key. Now other things are going on.The horn stopped working, the interior lights at times refuse to turn off, the dash where the lights and radio gets fairly hot. My right tail light was giving me a bit of trouble, but one smack on it seemed to fix that.

It makes no noise at all when it won't start-no clicking. The lights come on where they should on the dash, the radio and windows work. The truck can sit overnight or run all day and it will happen. Sometimes it will happen 3-4 times in a row other days just once.

I am thinking it's either electrical or something with the security center. Maybe something with the Passlock? I am sick of sitting in the cold waiting for my truck to decide to start. What should we check for?

If it can't be found, it's getting traded in-what do you all suggest that will tow my trailer and haul 3 kids with 2 adults? A 2500HD sounds good to me right now!

Thanks for any help!

Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2005, 03:34 AM   #2

Hi,

Asked here about a month ago what to do with my 2001 Suburban(has 81,000 on it) that is giving me trouble starting. It spent a week between two different dealers and they never could get it to not start.

It's been getting worse. Sometimes it takes 40 turns of the key. Now other things are going on.The horn stopped working, the interior lights at times refuse to turn off, the dash where the lights and radio gets fairly hot. My right tail light was giving me a bit of trouble, but one smack on it seemed to fix that.

It makes no noise at all when it won't start-no clicking. The lights come on where they should on the dash, the radio and windows work. The truck can sit overnight or run all day and it will happen. Sometimes it will happen 3-4 times in a row other days just once.

I am thinking it's either electrical or something with the security center. Maybe something with the Passlock? I am sick of sitting in the cold waiting for my truck to decide to start. What should we check for?

If it can't be found, it's getting traded in-what do you all suggest that will tow my trailer and haul 3 kids with 2 adults? A 2500HD sounds good to me right now!

Thanks for any help!

Nell

Old 12-27-2005, 04:39 AM   #3

Obviously you have an electrical problem. I would start with the fuse link. It could be lose and only making contact at certain points. If that is ok, then I would start at the fuse box. Remove, examine and replace all fuses. Some may be lose. If these did not solve the problem, I would think your computer is going bad. Your details suggest computer problems, like one I had go bad. Same thing you are speaking of. They are easily replaced and can be had rebuilt at most parts stores.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:47 AM   #4

Hey Mick,

Which computer module was it? I am willing to try everything. We've checked the fuse box and everything is good there. The local dealer here wants to charge me $110 dollars just to diagnose the problem-great that's the 3rd one to take it on-it's getting expensive trying to find this problem. He also told me it would take a week or more to solve it if they found it.

I am SO starting to think about trading this thing in and getting away from GM.

Nell

Old 12-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #5

I think maybe you should statrt with the ignition switch and work your way back from there. It sounds like maybe something is loose and making intermittent contact. I would be concerned if the dash area gets hot around your radio and lights. Electrical problems can be a real pain to find and diagnos. Most dealerships are nothing more that parts swappers instead of reat technicians. You might want to find a good auto electrician and take your Suburban there. Or contact GM direct and complain. Good luck.

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC/LB D/A
baddwalk is offline   Reply With Quote