Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #43

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
On our newly purchased rv, Explore USA basically made us sign a document that THEY know NOTHING about tow vehicles and it is our sole responsibility to know what we should have..

Now that's honesty - saying they know nothing

(really just trying to release them of any liability!)
It might release them from legal liability, but does nothing towards moral responsibility. To sell a unit to someone who doesn't even have the knowledge to know what things they should be paying attention to is criminal in my mind. The law may set the minimum limits of liability, but I believe in following a higher standard.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
On our newly purchased rv, Explore USA basically made us sign a document that THEY know NOTHING about tow vehicles and it is our sole responsibility to know what we should have..

Better they should say that and make you aware than lie to you and send you blithely down the road.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #45

Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for them to investigate and decide if a cite should be issued. There was a mention after the accident about the weight label on TT. Good possibility a cite will be issued for over weight for tow vehicle.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #46

Advice=get the right tow vehicle for the job. Good news that no one got hurt, but the OP needs to read his owner manual for his tow rig as well as the UVW of his next trailer. This could've been avoided had he did the right research in a responsible way. Just assuming everything is correct because a dealer was involved is an example of how misleading both the auto makers and RV makers are.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
The problem is that you don't know what you don't know. If the dealer presented a very professional appearance and everything "looked right" a non-mechanical person may take them at their word. Honestly how would they know? At a certain point, people & companies label themselves as professionals and so they need to be held accountable. If an architect designed an addition for your house and it failed structurally should you be held accountable or should they & the builder who might have known better?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #48

How does one hook up a trailer that has no weight on the tongue? Doesnt it want to sit on its haunches.

If this possibly life ending event had happened to me, I would have hired a forensic expert to get to the bottom of it. Instead of, "well, guess we cheated death this time!"

Glad you were unhurt though. What about the next guy?

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

As I was completing my PDI, and was ready to drive off, they had me sign the same form. The salesman had said my truck would handle it, tghroughout the deal, no problem. It handled it OK, but I quickly learned that I was severely overloading it. They also never mentioned the fact that you need a Class A license to tow a 18K 5th wheel. I only discovered that fact from this forum, later. Now, I have my Class A and I have a new dually.

I copied and pasted the OP's 1st post. I have a friend with the same Denali and a TT Toy hauler. Although his GVWR is below the trucks tow rating. He may want to take another look at his setup before he loads his two Harley's in the back.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #50

i know alot of ppl have seen this

wind can all so start / upset of the system so i dont know if you have a big truck next to you that started it but when it starts its really hard to stop
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Too much weight to the rear and too much tension on the WDH bars is my theory. Transferred too much weight off the hitch and rear axle of the tow rig.
Ditto the comment
Old 08-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #52

Sorry to hear what happened and I'm glad no one was hurt. I had a 2000 Jayco KiWI 23 B that was recalled because if there was waste in the holding tank( located behind the axles) it lead to a swaying condition. They put 300 pounds of lead in my a-frame to fix the problem. It could be a design flaw. You were one of the beta testers just like the ones that had a KIWI before me
FamFun4 u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #53

Quote:
How does one hook up a trailer that has no weight on the tongue? Doesnt it want to sit on its haunches.
Quite easy - hook up the TT when it is empty, drive home, load it up rear end heavy and head off for your first adventure.
Anyway given that most people never bother trying to lift their trailer by hand, even as little as 20 pounds will make it look OK sitting on the jockey wheel and once on the tow vehicle, nobody will be any the wiser.

I've been in a similar position to the OP. Pulling a heavy box trailer at high speeds on the freeway with no problems or signs of instability until I came over a crest to find an emergency vehicle pulling out into the lane. Veered into the next lane and all hell broke loose - three tonnes of trailer skipping from 45 degrees to the right to 45 to the left taking up all three lanes. Certainly scattered the vehicles coming up behind me. That wasn't due to balance or tongue weight so much as weight distribution due to very long 8 x 2 hardwood beams on a rack so they extended way past the rear of the trailer and up over the tow vehicle at the front.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #54

The worse sway I have experienced was with a 1/2 tank of fresh water. As the water slushed around the trailer was hard to control. But this was at 55mph. I stopped and draind the water and the 55 mph sway was gone.

I am puzzled way you had sway at such a slow speed. That is really odd.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I can think of many things that might have caused it from driver error to poor construction. but tire inflation is my Number one suspect...

As to what to do next.. Depends on how often you move the rig.. If it's at least once every month or two, try a Class A.
For safe stable ride, get yourself into class C or class A. Your family has all the amenities while your drive and all wheels are on the ground in a fairly solid chassis. Check tire pressure as suggested and rent a vehicle when you arrive.
Less wear and tear on your engine and much more room for storage. Towing a big trailer is dangerous. Inherently unstable.
You could have killed your family. Spend the money and be safe.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:38 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan JS View Post
For safe stable ride, get yourself into class C or class A. Your family has all the amenities while your drive and all wheels are on the ground in a fairly solid chassis. Check tire pressure as suggested and rent a vehicle when you arrive.
Less wear and tear on your engine and much more room for storage. Towing a big trailer is dangerous. Inherently unstable.
You could have killed your family. Spend the money and be safe.
But with a class c or a you have another engine, transmission, and more tires to keep up on. Towing a trailer is safe. Just certain things need to be checked and rechecked.

Glad everyones ok and the only damage was nonhuman. Trailers, 5ers, motorhomes can all be replaced. Family members cannot
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote