Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #1

Jake Brake

Is a Jake Break worth the money?

How does it work?

Thanks

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What are you calling a "Jake Brake"?
Jacobson makes two types, one changes the exhaust valve timing and makes the engine act as a big air compressor, called an engine brake. The other is a flap in the exhaust system and called an exhaust brake.
The engine brake is much more effective but more expensive and not usually found on engines like the ISC (although there are a few) or the CAT C-7. The engine brake is usually found on the ISL and larger or C-9 and larger.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
What are you calling a "Jake Brake"?
Jacobson makes two types, one changes the exhaust valve timing and makes the engine act as a big air compressor, called an engine brake. The other is a flap in the exhaust system and called an exhaust brake.
The engine brake is much more effective but more expensive and not usually found on engines like the ISC (although there are a few) or the CAT C-7. The engine brake is usually found on the ISL and larger or C-9 and larger.
Did not know there were 2 types. I have a 01 Dodge 2500, auto, Cummins and have had one person tell me if I am in mountains it would be worth every dime for control. was not sure how it worked or if it was worth the money.

Mike
Old 06-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
My F350 came with a tow package which included a "tow haul" activated by a pushbutton on the gear shift lever. When engaged down hill and the brakes are slightly pressed the engine shifts down causing the vehicles engine to slow the rig down hill.....I wouldn't take on a mountain without one.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
On your Dodge (2001) I'm not sure but I don't think the engine brake is available, and if it is, it would be expensive to have installed. You can Get an exhaust brake that is installed in the exhaust pipe. It is sort of a flapper valve that is closed by air pressure (Compressor) or vacuum from a pump. They range from about 1100 to 1400 plus installation. If you travel in the mountains a lot it would be worth while. If you don't then not so much. That said, some one will say it is a must, but I don't think so. Just my dime...........
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #6

I have a factory one on my 2007 RAM 2500 CTD. It's controlled by the engine computer and is awesome when towing in the mountains or anytime towing and slowing or stopping,
Old 06-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmasters View Post
Did not know there were 2 types. I have a 01 Dodge 2500, auto, Cummins and have had one person tell me if I am in mountains it would be worth every dime for control. was not sure how it worked or if it was worth the money.

Mike
There are exhaust brakes , from Pac Brake , and Jacobs available for your P/U , I installed both types , before I retired . I always told the Dodge P/U owners who asked, "I wouldn't tow , using a diesel without one." If you tow a lot and keep your truck , say 5 years with the same trailer the exhaust brake will save you a complete brake job, on the truck and trailer.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
A true 2 stage Jake Engine Brake is WELL worth the extra money.

When you use them, you will never need to touch the service brakes.

Unfortunately, my engine came with the PacBrake Exhaust Brake because I believe they aren't available on the ISC 350HP engines.

However, I do have the upgraded PRXB PacBrake BUT it is just NOT the same as the 2 stage Jake.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #9

The OP 5.9 Cummins isn't capable for a engine brake. so only one type is available. Jacobs/BD/Pacbrake/Banks /etc make exhaust brakes for the 5.9.

I had a '01 2500 Dodge/Cummins 3.54 47RE tranny with the BD exhaust brake. My current '03 5.9 Cummins 3.73 NV5600 has the Jacobs exhaust brake that was a dealer installed option with a Dodge warranty. No issues in 218k miles.
I wouldn't have a 5.9 without a exhaust brake.

The new 6.7 Cummins doesn't have a exhaust brake nor does anyone make one. Exhaust braking is done through the Holset VGT turbo with a sliding nozzle. Much better exhaust braking power than a conventional EB.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Unfortunately, my engine came with the PacBrake Exhaust Brake because I believe they aren't available on the ISC 350HP engines.
I've never seen one on an ISC but they are supposed to be a few out there.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #11

A PacBrake is an easy install. I have an inline unit that is worth every penny. I use it non-stop..(no pun imtended) towing or not.
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
A true 2 stage Jake Engine Brake is WELL worth the extra money.

When you use them, you will never need to touch the service brakes.
The Jacobs compression brake on my C-12 can effectively turn the engine's power into stopping power; I think the claim is >300 HP stopping power. The effect on steep hills is incredible. Sometimes I have to give the engine fuel to keep it from slowing down too much!

docj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake