Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Member
 
GC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 91
Jake brake & others

Looking for opinion re adding Jacobs, Banks, Pacbrake. Effectiveness, cost, durability, etc. (2005-2007 Dodge 3500 5.9 w/manual transmission or 6.7 auto).
__________________

__________________
Glen
-----------------------------
Live light, cast a small shadow.
GC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
RustyJC's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
I had a Mopar/Jacobs exhaust brake installed as a dealer-installed option before I took delivery of my 2002 Cummins HO/6-speed. It's invaluable for towing a heavy 5th wheel and dramatically extends the life of the service brakes. I just sold our 2002 when we took delivery of our 2011 (which has the exhaust brake function built into the VGT turbocharger), and it was still running the original brake pads and discs.

Rusty
__________________

__________________
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Member
 
GC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I had a Mopar/Jacobs exhaust brake installed as a dealer-installed option before I took delivery of my 2002 Cummins HO/6-speed. It's invaluable for towing a heavy 5th wheel and dramatically extends the life of the service brakes. I just sold our 2002 when we took delivery of our 2011 (which has the exhaust brake function built into the VGT turbocharger), and it was still running the original brake pads and discs.

Rusty
Impressive.
__________________
Glen
-----------------------------
Live light, cast a small shadow.
GC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
CD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kingston, Wa. USA
Posts: 1,221
I have a BD exhaust brake that was installed when the PU had about 50 miles on it. It now has over 85K with original brakes that have over 50% pads left. I use it all the time, towing or not.
__________________
Cliff

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
Member
 
GC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 91
Seems like prices are pretty easy to find for all but the Jacobs. I understand it's available from Dodge but pricey. I looked on the Cummins site but nothing, and no prices from the Jacobs site. Any ideas?
__________________
Glen
-----------------------------
Live light, cast a small shadow.
GC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
RustyJC's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
If you Google "Jacobs exhaust brake", you'll get hits on a lot of sources from e-Bay to independent diesel shops to Cummins distributors. HERE is the webpage from our local Cummins distributor, Cummins Southern Plains.

Rusty
__________________
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Member
 
GC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
If you Google "Jacobs exhaust brake", you'll get hits on a lot of sources from e-Bay to independent diesel shops to Cummins distributors. HERE is the webpage from our local Cummins distributor, Cummins Southern Plains.

Rusty


I must have been asleep when I googled it last night. Found one retailer on the first page and the e-Bay stuff on #5. Still harder to find than others.
Thanks Rusty.
__________________
Glen
-----------------------------
Live light, cast a small shadow.
GC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
CD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kingston, Wa. USA
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19gc45 View Post


I must have been asleep when I googled it last night. Found one retailer on the first page and the e-Bay stuff on #5. Still harder to find than others.
Thanks Rusty.
BD is located in BC. Their web site Here.
__________________
Cliff

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Member
 
GC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
BD is located in BC. Their web site Here.
I had been on the website. It's the US site (Sumas, Wa) but the phone # at the bottom is Vancouver, BC. So .ca should bring up the Canadian site.
Thanks
__________________
Glen
-----------------------------
Live light, cast a small shadow.
GC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
CD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kingston, Wa. USA
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19gc45 View Post
I had been on the website. It's the US site (Sumas, Wa) but the phone # at the bottom is Vancouver, BC. So .ca should bring up the Canadian site.
Thanks
If you go to the bottom of their page and click on "Contact Us" it gives their plant location as Abbotsford and a BC phone #.
Also, if you saw and are concerned with a comment I made on another tread about mine fighting with the CC, it is because when I got it they hadn't caught up with the changes Dodge made in the late model 01.
__________________
Cliff

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
Member
 
GC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
If you go to the bottom of their page and click on "Contact Us" it gives their plant location as Abbotsford and a BC phone #.
Also, if you saw and are concerned with a comment I made on another tread about mine fighting with the CC, it is because when I got it they hadn't caught up with the changes Dodge made in the late model 01.
Thanks.
Got a map to their location. I'll pop over sometime and have a look-see.
__________________
Glen
-----------------------------
Live light, cast a small shadow.
GC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,082
There is no exhaust brake available for the 6.7 Cummins. As Rusty mentions the 6.7 engine uses a VGT which acts like a exhaust brake with 240 hp for braking. www.cummins.com/turbos - VGT
A exhaust brake for the 5.9 engine developes 180 hp for braking. I have the Jacobs on my '03 in sig. I had it added at the time I purchased the truck new for 395 bucks as part of Dodge Businesslink program. Its been flawless.

However if I had a used truck I would go with the Pacbrake PRXB which operates by air pressure supplied by a electric air pump. A air pump is handy thing to have. The Jacobs operates from a mechanical vaccum pump on the serpintine belt. Very expensive to replace.

Do your homework as all brands aren't equal. When you decide which EB you need listen to their tech folks for what your engine/tranny combo will need.
__________________
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
Member
 
GC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
There is no exhaust brake available for the 6.7 Cummins. As Rusty mentions the 6.7 engine uses a VGT which acts like a exhaust brake with 240 hp for braking. www.cummins.com/turbos - VGT
A exhaust brake for the 5.9 engine developes 180 hp for braking. I have the Jacobs on my '03 in sig. I had it added at the time I purchased the truck new for 395 bucks as part of Dodge Businesslink program. Its been flawless.

However if I had a used truck I would go with the Pacbrake PRXB which operates by air pressure supplied by a electric air pump. A air pump is handy thing to have. The Jacobs operates from a mechanical vaccum pump on the serpintine belt. Very expensive to replace.

Do your homework as all brands aren't equal. When you decide which EB you need listen to their tech folks for what your engine/tranny combo will need.
Thanks
Still weighing options.
I was under the impression that the Jake brake could be added on the 6.7 until more recently. I stand corrected.
I have read some negative comment about the vacuum pump & the serpentine belt, & the Pacbrake compressor means one less thing to buy & carry in the fiver. For me, very pound counts.
Truth be told I'm about a year away from the whole process, so by then I should be reasonably well-educated.
__________________
Glen
-----------------------------
Live light, cast a small shadow.
GC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mopar1973Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Meadows, Idaho
Posts: 161
I'm not the same year but... I've got a 2002 Dodge cummins with a Jacobs Exhaust brake... Lets say I've never done a brake job yet... I'm still on the factory brake pads after 178K miles. No joke...

Now I live in the mountains of Idaho so everything is either up or down so very impressive to go so long without changing brake pads yet... I will admit that I rebuilt the caliper all the way around not to long ago for sticky pucks but continue to use my old pads yet... I'll make 200K when I change the brakes...
__________________

__________________
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 towing 2000 Jayco Eagle 296 FBS
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about jake brake on Country Coach rustydoghoff Country Coach Owners Forum 7 11-28-2010 07:38 PM
Motorhome Air Parking Brake Not Releasing rsalhus Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum 7 05-11-2009 02:59 PM
Jake Brake Lights? leavitt Newmar Owner's Forum 13 11-25-2007 05:26 PM
US Gear UTB brake light questions Horsepowerfan Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 4 08-28-2006 05:25 AM
Jake or Pac Brake? smlranger Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 3 01-31-2006 03:17 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.