Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 07:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
I got this really great deal on a 5ver and an old diesel Passat. I know it will look funny with a 5th wheel hitch on the roof, but I believe that I can make it work!

Just turn on the flashers when going up hills. You'll be fine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #30

You forgot to say "and blow the horn going down hill, so you can get out of the way! "

NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
I got this really great deal on a 5ver and an old diesel Passat. I know it will look funny with a 5th wheel hitch on the roof, but I believe that I can make it work!
I think you can order a 5th wheel hitch from the factory on a VW.

https://youtu.be/s3bAWScMdjs
Old 09-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #32

An insurance investigator sure would find this thread interesting and useful........ especially for those admitting to towing over capacity....... Just because a smaller truck can pull a 5er that is over limits doesn't mean it should. Common sense (not so common anymore) is fading faster every day.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
I've never seen a delivery guy with a half ton. But, times are changing. Maybe he had Hope and Change or something
Hey, with Hope and Change, and a Salesman's promise, what could possibly go wrong?!?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #34

Evergreen Owners Club
I feel sorry for the guy that asked the original question as to who was using a 3/4 ton tow vehicle and the weight of the tow. You guys shanghaied his thread with a bunch of crap and he only got a couple of honest replies. WTH gives? Would you want your thread done this way? [Moderator Edit]
Old 09-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I feel sorry for the guy that asked the original question as to who was using a 3/4 ton tow vehicle and the weight of the tow. You guys shanghaied his thread with a bunch of crap and he only got a couple of honest replies. WTH gives? Would you want your thread done this way? [Moderator Edit]
I agree, it happens every time. The dually guys just can't help themselves I guess.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #36

I can give him an honest answer. I pulled my Big Country 3650 many thousands of miles with a 2500HD. I had beefed it up with air bags, and 19.5's. It worked but I kept getting the feeling that I was being pushed around by the rig. I finally bit the bullet and purchased a used 3500HD DRW. Huge difference I can assure you. Your call.......
WagonMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #37

Come on there are way more 3/4 tons towing. They are very common. But here 1/2 tons out number all others.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #38

I pull a 28' Prowler weighing in at about 10k with Ram 2500 CTD. I feel that is just about right weight and length for this truck. However while at the Sturgis rally, I saw a guy pulling a 43' triple axle toy hauler with the same truck as mine only his was a short bed. So the truck can pull much more than one should.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Sorry man. But so many people come here with too little truck for too much trailer/5th wheel, and somehow want justification to pull overloaded.

I used to, but I realized what numbers to watch (#1 - RAWR) and what risks I was taking and that I had to stay in flat lands to tow what I had, loaded minimally, with a 1/2 ton with load range E tires. I towed it home, empty, with P metric tires and that was an adventure. I know my skill level and what precautions I take with extra space, speed reduction, and so forth, BUT reading others questions, I do not know or presume their skill level is like mine. I upgraded to a 3/4 ton and I am in the right zone, to be safe, towing what I have.

I believe that there are too many people out there towing with too little of a truck OR too much trailer for their truck and because people see them, they think they can do the same. When anyone asks me, and I know that they are overloaded, I HAVE to let them know. Because I do not know their skill level or ability to tow overloaded. Sure, some of these trucks are borderline to tow the extra load, but I would rather error on the side of telling them to upgrade. The joke I made was sarcasm, meaning to upgrade!

I was in a campground last weekend and my neighbor came in with a Taho and an older camper. The hitch was set up all wrong (trailer VERY nose high) and I asked how it towed. He said he could only make 55 mph and any higher it got squirrely. I recommended how to adjust the hitch to make the trailer less nose high and hopefully tow better. I did not want to see him or his family wrecked, because I had an understanding of how to make his rig tow better and then NOT tell him.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I pull a 28' Prowler weighing in at about 10k with Ram 2500 CTD. I feel that is just about right weight and length for this truck. However while at the Sturgis rally, I saw a guy pulling a 43' triple axle toy hauler with the same truck as mine only his was a short bed. So the truck can pull much more than one should.
You got the "PULL" part right! It's all the other factors that make so many of these trucks very dangerous!

See plenty of them on their side on I-10 along the Palm Springs area. 250/2500's pulling toy haulers to and from the desert a nice gust of wind hits them and it's game over!
Old 09-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonMaster View Post
I can give him an honest answer. I pulled my Big Country 3650 many thousands of miles with a 2500HD. I had beefed it up with air bags, and 19.5's. It worked but I kept getting the feeling that I was being pushed around by the rig. I finally bit the bullet and purchased a used 3500HD DRW. Huge difference I can assure you. Your call.......
People really should listen to what this Man is saying.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:14 AM   #42

Bull, we pull with what works well. Or we would not.

Tags
tow