Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-15-2015, 06:45 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
jenandjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 710
I pull a 32 foot 5er with a 3/4 ton chevy with the Duramax with no problems. My gross weight is just over 17,000 loaded and full of fuel. Truck is all stock. If you are looking to buy a new truck get a 1 ton. If you already have the 3/4 you will be fine.
I wanted a one ton single rear wheel but couldn't afford a brand new truck so I had to get what I got and it was hard to find this. Took me 6 months to find it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0625151925a.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	106960  
__________________

__________________
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
Salesman in Texas told me "while legally I can't say anything, a 3/4 ton will be fine on a DRV."

He failed the test.
Even DRV's brochure has a SRW Ford on its back cover, so it must be ok.

Of course, the photo looks staged, as the truck's bed has no weight on it and there's a major disclaimer below the picture about it not being the right truck for the job.

The main question is not 3/4 vs 1 ton, but SRW vs DRW. The difference between most 3/4 and 1 ton SRW new trucks is mostly badging to satisfy those states where driving a truck over 10,000 lbs requires a difference license.
__________________

__________________
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
JBurg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Rock Springs, Wyoming
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Even DRV's brochure has a SRW Ford on its back cover, so it must be ok.

Of course, the photo looks staged, as the truck's bed has no weight on it and there's a major disclaimer below the picture about it not being the right truck for the job.

The main question is not 3/4 vs 1 ton, but SRW vs DRW. The difference between most 3/4 and 1 ton SRW new trucks is mostly badging to satisfy those states where driving a truck over 10,000 lbs requires a difference license.

I certainly got a chuckle from the disclaimer. I'm sure many have missed that part though, as "reading the fine print" seems to be lost on many nowadays.
__________________
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
JBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #46
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Rising Sun, MD
Posts: 57
An 08+ F-250 with a camper package will tow just as well as an F-350 SRW. Same suspension components, same axles, same frame. The camper package adds the swaybar. Weights are different on paper for tax purposes. The only thing the F-350 has over the 250 is the option for the DRW, which you need for those pin weights.
__________________
2011 F-350 DRW CC 5-Star tuned 6.7 pulling a 2017 WolfPack 325 Pack13
defekticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I pull a 32 foot 5er with a 3/4 ton chevy with the Duramax with no problems. My gross weight is just over 17,000 loaded and full of fuel. Truck is all stock. If you are looking to buy a new truck get a 1 ton. If you already have the 3/4 you will be fine.
I wanted a one ton single rear wheel but couldn't afford a brand new truck so I had to get what I got and it was hard to find this. Took me 6 months to find it.
We have been looking for weeks for a 1 ton SRW 4x4 truck... They are extremley rare... So I have gone back to a 3/4 ton, which in most cases now days have the same axles, brakes, etc.... Going again tomorrow 70 miles away to look at a 2500 Chevy Duramax... We'll see.... I've been a life time Mopar guy,,, just looked at a 2016 Ram 2500...
__________________
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
1ST CAV
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
We have been looking for weeks for a 1 ton SRW 4x4 truck... They are extremley rare... So I have gone back to a 3/4 ton, which in most cases now days have the same axles, brakes, etc.... Going again tomorrow 70 miles away to look at a 2500 Chevy Duramax... We'll see.... I've been a life time Mopar guy,,, just looked at a 2016 Ram 2500...
Order the RAM exactly how you want it!
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:36 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
jenandjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
We have been looking for weeks for a 1 ton SRW 4x4 truck... They are extremley rare... So I have gone back to a 3/4 ton, which in most cases now days have the same axles, brakes, etc.... Going again tomorrow 70 miles away to look at a 2500 Chevy Duramax... We'll see.... I've been a life time Mopar guy,,, just looked at a 2016 Ram 2500...
My truck is a 07 classic. We have a 09 dodge 3500 DRW on the farm. It is the roughest riding thing I ever rode in. We had all the epa crap deleted and put a light tow tune on it. Its a pulling son of a gun with power to spare. Problem is no body can stand to drive it anywhere but locally. The Chevy is much more comfortable on long trips.
__________________
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bellevue, Wa
Posts: 10
If you go to this site it will help learn all about weight ratings and capacity. This place has an app that will help you determine exactly where you are at.

http://fifthwheelst.com/
__________________
2015 RAM 3500 DRW Laramie Aisin 3.73

2014 Alpine 3500RE
dgwilson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #51
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
My truck is a 07 classic. We have a 09 dodge 3500 DRW on the farm. It is the roughest riding thing I ever rode in. We had all the epa crap deleted and put a light tow tune on it. Its a pulling son of a gun with power to spare. Problem is no body can stand to drive it anywhere but locally. The Chevy is much more comfortable on long trips.
Just for fun take a 13 or newer RAM 3500 for a spin.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Dasmoeturhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,003
My Ram 3500 DRW, is a Cowboy Cadillac. I've got 19,800 miles of pure pleasure in it since Feb 2015.
__________________
2017 Forrest River Salem 32bhds TT
2015 Ram 3500 4x4, CTD, DRW ,MC ,AISIN , 4.10's,
Six Burning Six Turning ! ,RVM 104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL/Helen, GA
Posts: 968
I tow a fifth wheel with a 2003 F250--last of the 7.3's. It's rated to tow 13,200 total weight with a fifth wheel configuration.

I purchased a new Grand Design Reflection 323BHS last year. It's got a dry weight of 11K and a pin weight of 2K--about the maximum I want to tow with single rear wheels.

And with a 60 hp tow tuner, it does a great job handling my mid size trailer. I bought my trailer to fit my truck--not the other way around. And with a 37' long fifth wheel, we're certainly not suffering.
__________________

__________________
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tow



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel Clearance on a 5er / Noob 5er help on suspension... cb1000rider 5th Wheel Discussion 7 07-13-2015 11:17 PM
re: Towing older 5er, what to do for towing prep? BandSA 5th Wheel Discussion 3 07-09-2015 06:06 AM
Fuel mileage pulling a 5er jenandjon Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 22 05-11-2014 11:00 PM
New to DW and Me 5er r___r New Rig Show-Off! 10 04-04-2014 07:33 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.