Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #15

Thanks for all the advice I'm getting my transmission serviced with all new filters, adding new synthetic ATF, and installing an additional transmission cooler and getting my cooling system checked. I'll update you on the results!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #16

Question
Is 7% incline considered steep? To get to a couple of CG's near us I hit a 7% incline almost immediately when I pull out of the driveway I put the truck in 2nd gear for the 1.5 mile climb and keep it there when I go down the other side always use flashers both ways.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briansi52 View Post
Question
Is 7% incline considered steep? To get to a couple of CG's near us I hit a 7% incline almost immediately when I pull out of the driveway I put the truck in 2nd gear for the 1.5 mile climb and keep it there when I go down the other side always use flashers both ways.
I dint think it's very steep at all. A place we go in the mtns here in NC is an 8% grade. It's about 3 miles long and fortunately is a 4 lane road and 55 mph speed limit. Doesn't matter how much momentum you have at the bottom the 8% grade just zaps your speed.

Chad
Old 06-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
I dint think it's very steep at all. A place we go in the mtns here in NC is an 8% grade. It's about 3 miles long and fortunately is a 4 lane road and 55 mph speed limit. Doesn't matter how much momentum you have at the bottom the 8% grade just zaps your speed.

Chad
How fast do you go? My neighbor who's been hauling a camper for ever says just go low and slow here in VT
Old 06-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #19

I usualy watch the Scangauge water temperature and with no A/C in the hills I pull of the throttle before the fan comes on full at about 116F. With automatic transmission it is all related as the water temperature goes up with the oil temperature. With fan not loaded I save up to 35 HP applied to pulling the load up the hill. It's a Mather of training, being able to make the long hills. Notice the speed of the transports, they have experience in the hills.
I will never be without my ScangaugeII digital readings while towing. Still wonder why a 70k $ truck has so many dummy gauges we can never read right.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #20

116 degrees ???
Old 06-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briansi52 View Post
How fast do you go? My neighbor who's been hauling a camper for ever says just go low and slow here in VT
In my current motorhome I cruise up the mtn at about 38 blistering mph. When I had a fiver and dodge ram cummins pickup I ran 55-60 of course slowing down for a couple sharper turns. The whole climb is not 8% but the steepest part that is is really a pull.

Chad
Old 06-11-2015, 04:56 AM   #22

Sorry 216f is much better.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:16 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Freedom View Post
Have a 2007 Chevy 2007 2500hd 6.6 diesel pick up hauling a 10 pound fifth wheel. Hauling up 7 percent grade for 4 miles and the engine and tranny registered 250 degrees. But went down to 200 after going down hill is 250 too hot for the transmission? 270 is in the red zone please advise
What speed were you doing? I set mine for 60 on my 2004 Duramax pulling 10k, it never goes over 220. Did you hear the fan spool up?

Tags
engine, transmission