Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #1

“Just what are Ford and Rivian up to?

Article on Ford and Rivians relationship.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/18...-rivian-up-to/

http://https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/18/just-what-are-ford-rivian-up-to/
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #2

I know there are a lot of detractors of the EV in the RV world, but I am excited to see where this goes.

It looks like some fun opportunities are on the horizon.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #3

40 electric models inside 2 model years? Thats very ambitious. The technology is definately advancing but at the rate things have been going, practical use is still a long way off for alot of people. Hd has a new electric bike coming out but its only got 150 or so mile range and takes several hrs to fully charge. Thats just not practical for anymore than a commuter or track days.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
40 electric models inside 2 model years? Thats very ambitious. The technology is definately advancing but at the rate things have been going, practical use is still a long way off for alot of people. Hd has a new electric bike coming out but its only got 150 or so mile range and takes several hrs to fully charge. Thats just not practical for anymore than a commuter or track days.
One the market offers SUV’s and trucks the market will open up. At least up to now there has been mostly sedans and hatchbacks offered. If manufacturers start offering good SUV’s in that 50000 dollar range look out. Model Y Tesla might be a game changer. Time will tell.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #5

Hopefully the Ford stylists will take over and redo that fugly front end.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
One the market offers SUV’s and trucks the market will open up. At least up to now there has been mostly sedans and hatchbacks offered. If manufacturers start offering good SUV’s in that 50000 dollar range look out. Model Y Tesla might be a game changer. Time will tell.
They have to be practical too. Youll get the early adopters but the market for an only ev wont open up until either charge times get shorter or range gets longer.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
They have to be practical too. Youll get the early adopters but the market for an only ev wont open up until either charge times get shorter or range gets longer.
Yes they have to be practical. But there are now a lot of EV’s out there and potential buyers have the opportunity to talk to real EV owners. They learn that the approach to driving an EV on a road trip is different than a liquid fueled vehicle. Many fast chargers or Superchargers are co-located with restaurants or Starbucks etc. Instead of a wasted 10 minutes at a gas pump an EV driver pulls into a charge station, hooks up and goes for lunch. Half an hour later they come back from lunch, unplug the car and carry on. This plays out everyday at charge stations all over the world. Even medium range EV’s with 350 km ranges do 600 km road trips with no time penalty. Most people take a lunch break and a pee break or two. For many a medium range EV is completely practical. Right now the majority of EV’s sold are medium range.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #8

Charging stations everywhere? Are you on the west coast or something? Theyre about as common as hens teeth anywhere ive been. I can only think of one in cambridge ohio of all places and im pretty well travelled
Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Charging stations everywhere? Are you on the west coast or something? Theyre about as common as hens teeth anywhere ive been. I can only think of one in cambridge ohio of all places and im pretty well travelled

Me too, I travel all over the eastern half of the country and I think I've seen maybe 10 charging stations in my life, and every single one of them was in a city never on a freeway. Then again, I'm not looking for them.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
I don’t know about charging stations everywhere. Maybe a different poster said that. We do live on the west coast and there is good coverage from BC to Mexico.

Took a quick look at Cambridge Ohio. There are probably a half dozen charging stations there (4 right in town) and a few hundred within a 300 km radius. Maybe 40 or 50 fast chargers.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #11

I don't have an EV, and I don't look for charging stations. However, I am noticing them more and more in our travels.

We just finished up a 5500 mile trip from the south to the northeast, and we saw charging stations at about 30% of the gas stations we hit, right off the interstate on that trip. Really sort of surprised me.

Some places only had 2-4 stations, the most we saw was a new installation, there were so many I took the time to count them. 28 of them!

It seems the infrastructure is coming along pretty quickly.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I don’t know about charging stations everywhere. Maybe a different poster said that. We do live on the west coast and there is good coverage from BC to Mexico.

Took a quick look at Cambridge Ohio. There are probably a half dozen charging stations there (4 right in town) and a few hundred within a 300 km radius. Maybe 40 or 50 fast chargers.
4 in town? Theres a gas station that might have all 4. Theyre the only ones ive ever seen. Its been awhile since ive been over there but they definately stand out. Id say this tech is at least 10yrs from being anything you could call common, were moving in that direction, but its been very slow anywhere ive been. I just looked and there are 4 in all of davenport iowa where im sitting right now.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:36 PM   #13

Quote:
4 in town? Theres a gas station that might have all 4. Theyre the only ones ive ever seen. Its been awhile since ive been over there but they definately stand out. Id say this tech is at least 10yrs from being anything you could call common, were moving in that direction, but its been very slow anywhere ive been. I just looked and there are 4 in all of davenport iowa where im sitting right now.
Yah it’ll take time.

Looks like Davenport has a Supercharger location with 8 stalls. Maybe another dozen level 2 sites spread around town.

It will grow at different rates in different areas. Britain already has more charge stations than gas stations.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:20 AM   #14

I'm in Quebec but there are charging stations almost everywhere now. Many stores with 30 employees plus have at least one or two stations.Restaurants, dedicated stations, you name it.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford