RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 892
ďJust what are Ford and Rivian up to?

Article on Ford and Rivians relationship.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/18...-rivian-up-to/

http://https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/18/just-what-are-ford-rivian-up-to/
__________________

radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 202
I know there are a lot of detractors of the EV in the RV world, but I am excited to see where this goes.

It looks like some fun opportunities are on the horizon.
__________________

__________________
Kevin & Mary, Byhalia, MS
2018 Ford F150 3.5 EB HDPP 8' Bed
2019 Coachmen 271BL Toy Hauler
KM Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 791
40 electric models inside 2 model years? Thats very ambitious. The technology is definately advancing but at the rate things have been going, practical use is still a long way off for alot of people. Hd has a new electric bike coming out but its only got 150 or so mile range and takes several hrs to fully charge. Thats just not practical for anymore than a commuter or track days.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
40 electric models inside 2 model years? Thats very ambitious. The technology is definately advancing but at the rate things have been going, practical use is still a long way off for alot of people. Hd has a new electric bike coming out but its only got 150 or so mile range and takes several hrs to fully charge. Thats just not practical for anymore than a commuter or track days.
One the market offers SUVís and trucks the market will open up. At least up to now there has been mostly sedans and hatchbacks offered. If manufacturers start offering good SUVís in that 50000 dollar range look out. Model Y Tesla might be a game changer. Time will tell.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
F4Gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Grapevine, Tx
Posts: 2,062
Hopefully the Ford stylists will take over and redo that fugly front end.
__________________
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS W20
ReadyBrute Elite towing an '07 CRV
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
One the market offers SUVís and trucks the market will open up. At least up to now there has been mostly sedans and hatchbacks offered. If manufacturers start offering good SUVís in that 50000 dollar range look out. Model Y Tesla might be a game changer. Time will tell.
They have to be practical too. Youll get the early adopters but the market for an only ev wont open up until either charge times get shorter or range gets longer.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
They have to be practical too. Youll get the early adopters but the market for an only ev wont open up until either charge times get shorter or range gets longer.
Yes they have to be practical. But there are now a lot of EVís out there and potential buyers have the opportunity to talk to real EV owners. They learn that the approach to driving an EV on a road trip is different than a liquid fueled vehicle. Many fast chargers or Superchargers are co-located with restaurants or Starbucks etc. Instead of a wasted 10 minutes at a gas pump an EV driver pulls into a charge station, hooks up and goes for lunch. Half an hour later they come back from lunch, unplug the car and carry on. This plays out everyday at charge stations all over the world. Even medium range EVís with 350 km ranges do 600 km road trips with no time penalty. Most people take a lunch break and a pee break or two. For many a medium range EV is completely practical. Right now the majority of EVís sold are medium range.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 791
Charging stations everywhere? Are you on the west coast or something? Theyre about as common as hens teeth anywhere ive been. I can only think of one in cambridge ohio of all places and im pretty well travelled
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Charging stations everywhere? Are you on the west coast or something? Theyre about as common as hens teeth anywhere ive been. I can only think of one in cambridge ohio of all places and im pretty well travelled

Me too, I travel all over the eastern half of the country and I think I've seen maybe 10 charging stations in my life, and every single one of them was in a city never on a freeway. Then again, I'm not looking for them.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Charging stations everywhere? Are you on the west coast or something? Theyre about as common as hens teeth anywhere ive been. I can only think of one in cambridge ohio of all places and im pretty well travelled
I don’t know about charging stations everywhere. Maybe a different poster said that. We do live on the west coast and there is good coverage from BC to Mexico.

Took a quick look at Cambridge Ohio. There are probably a half dozen charging stations there (4 right in town) and a few hundred within a 300 km radius. Maybe 40 or 50 fast chargers.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 202
I don't have an EV, and I don't look for charging stations. However, I am noticing them more and more in our travels.

We just finished up a 5500 mile trip from the south to the northeast, and we saw charging stations at about 30% of the gas stations we hit, right off the interstate on that trip. Really sort of surprised me.

Some places only had 2-4 stations, the most we saw was a new installation, there were so many I took the time to count them. 28 of them!

It seems the infrastructure is coming along pretty quickly.
__________________
Kevin & Mary, Byhalia, MS
2018 Ford F150 3.5 EB HDPP 8' Bed
2019 Coachmen 271BL Toy Hauler
KM Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:23 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I donít know about charging stations everywhere. Maybe a different poster said that. We do live on the west coast and there is good coverage from BC to Mexico.

Took a quick look at Cambridge Ohio. There are probably a half dozen charging stations there (4 right in town) and a few hundred within a 300 km radius. Maybe 40 or 50 fast chargers.
4 in town? Theres a gas station that might have all 4. Theyre the only ones ive ever seen. Its been awhile since ive been over there but they definately stand out. Id say this tech is at least 10yrs from being anything you could call common, were moving in that direction, but its been very slow anywhere ive been. I just looked and there are 4 in all of davenport iowa where im sitting right now.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:36 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
4 in town? Theres a gas station that might have all 4. Theyre the only ones ive ever seen. Its been awhile since ive been over there but they definately stand out. Id say this tech is at least 10yrs from being anything you could call common, were moving in that direction, but its been very slow anywhere ive been. I just looked and there are 4 in all of davenport iowa where im sitting right now.
Yah itíll take time.

Looks like Davenport has a Supercharger location with 8 stalls. Maybe another dozen level 2 sites spread around town.

It will grow at different rates in different areas. Britain already has more charge stations than gas stations.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:20 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 416
I'm in Quebec but there are charging stations almost everywhere now. Many stores with 30 employees plus have at least one or two stations.Restaurants, dedicated stations, you name it.
__________________

__________________
2011 GMC Sierra 3500HD dually gas 6.0

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Trucks From Workhorse, Rivian, and others (Ford 150) - All Electric Scarab0088 Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 54 07-28-2019 11:00 PM
Game Changer from Rivian? GoLeafsGo Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 12 05-25-2019 05:52 AM
Ford contracts Rivian to make their electric truck. radar Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 15 05-04-2019 02:26 PM
Rivian Electric Tow/Adventure Vehicles...We're Getting Close Folks!! GoLeafsGo Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 29 12-11-2018 06:10 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.