Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #1

Keep 2000 Blazer or buy Toyota Tacoma?

Hello, I am new to trailering and have a decision to make. Keep my 2000 Chevy Blazer, 148K, 4.3 V-6 or buy a used Toyota Tacoma, V-6 to tow my new Riverside Retro 155 trailer? It is 15' and 2100 lbs dry; probably 3000 or so loaded. Towing capacity for Blazer ~4500 lbs; Tacoma 6500 lbs. If I keep my Blazer I am thinking of ways to boost power and performance: oil cooler, cold air intake, heat shield, exhaust, electric fan, etc. How much better will the Tacoma actually perform compared to Blazer? Strain on engine, fuel mileage, etc? Thanks, experts out there!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #2

Cool looking trailer, I hope you got one with the crazy 50's colors.

In the past I towed a 6k# Sharmrock with an explorer. It had a V8 and a towing capacity of >7k#. That truck did pretty well, but I worried about the transmission. After 2 years I upgraded to a RAM 1500. That truck pulled better but got not as good MPG.

I think either rig you suggest will do fine for what you have. With a 150k on the chevy there's not much life left. Consider when you get a tow you now have to pay for a tow of a truck and a trailer. But a first season with a trailer is learning.

For me its more a consideration of what else you use the rig for. Are you hualing a large family? I'm a family of 6 and the explorer was a better rig when not campling but the truck was a better rig for camping because of all the messy stuff you take (fire wood, bikes, there is always wet stuff when you camp).

Now I have three cars and the truck is only for campling trips and hardwear store trips.

There's a disease many of us have and that is we buy a trailer, then upgrade the tow vehicle, then we upgrade the trailer because the new tow vehicle can handle more, and then that new trailer overwelms the tow vehicle and we get a new one of those.

So if i were you I would stick with what you have for a season.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #3

The old 4.3 litre engine while it was solid as far as breaking it however does not provide much forward motion vs noise made.

The Toyota however uses a much more modern engine. Same for the Honda Ridgeline or Nissan Frontier.

Of these vehicles the Honda Ridgeline would be my pick with a 5,000lb advertised towing ability.

I towed a 2,400lb boat with my 2006 Ridgeline which was a pleasure to drive. I still miss the in bed trunk and swing away tailgate. Once you look at a Ridgeline I think you would really like it.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

Thanks for great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugghead View Post
Cool looking trailer, I hope you got one with the crazy 50's colors.

In the past I towed a 6k# Sharmrock with an explorer. It had a V8 and a towing capacity of >7k#. That truck did pretty well, but I worried about the transmission. After 2 years I upgraded to a RAM 1500. That truck pulled better but got not as good MPG.

I think either rig you suggest will do fine for what you have. With a 150k on the chevy there's not much life left. Consider when you get a tow you now have to pay for a tow of a truck and a trailer. But a first season with a trailer is learning.

For me its more a consideration of what else you use the rig for. Are you hualing a large family? I'm a family of 6 and the explorer was a better rig when not campling but the truck was a better rig for camping because of all the messy stuff you take (fire wood, bikes, there is always wet stuff when you camp).

Now I have three cars and the truck is only for campling trips and hardwear store trips.

There's a disease many of us have and that is we buy a trailer, then upgrade the tow vehicle, then we upgrade the trailer because the new tow vehicle can handle more, and then that new trailer overwelms the tow vehicle and we get a new one of those.

So if i were you I would stick with what you have for a season.
Thanks for the great advice! Yes, a cool red/grey trailer.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The old 4.3 litre engine while it was solid as far as breaking it however does not provide much forward motion vs noise made.

The Toyota however uses a much more modern engine. Same for the Honda Ridgeline or Nissan Frontier.

Of these vehicles the Honda Ridgeline would be my pick with a 5,000lb advertised towing ability.

I towed a 2,400lb boat with my 2006 Ridgeline which was a pleasure to drive. I still miss the in bed trunk and swing away tailgate. Once you look at a Ridgeline I think you would really like it.
Ok, I hadn't looked at that one so I'll check it out. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #6

newer tacoma's have a 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual, definitely help.

But they don't really get much if any better fuel mileage than many of the modern trucks with's v8's. If you happen to need a smaller truck, then get a tacoma. But if you don't mind the larger size, a 1/2 ton won't even know it's back there.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #7

gggplaya makes a very good point. I traded my Ridgeline for a 2011 F-150 5.0 litre. The F-150 with a 6 speed got slightly better overall MPG than the Ridgeline.

Towing the boat with the Ridgeline was very good but towing that boat with the F-150 was really sweet. The Ridgeline got 15 mpg while the F-150 got 16.5mpg.

Non-towing they got about the same MPG.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #8

I think you would be ok with your current truck. I mean the big upgrade to the toyota is the better transmission. But maybe look up what peoples rpm range is with a toyota towing a tralier. The thing with the blazer is towing will be done In third gear.

I tow with a chevy colorado inline 5 with the same 4l60e transmission. At 60 mph I am at 2700 rpm. Which is not bad and going up a big hill it will drop to second gear and never goes past 4500 rpm. Which is also fine as my max torque at the rear wheels peaked at 4500 rpm. After looking around these rpm's seem normal for most gas vehicles.

The only thing I would really recommend is to check if you have a external transmission cooler if not add a stacked plate one from B&M. And if you want you could look into a air filter kit or cat back exhaust or a possible tune for your truck using HP tuning. The other thing add a gauge such as ultra gauge or scan gauge this will let you monitor your tranny temps and other things. Even if you upgrade your truck these are still good to have as you can pull up engine codes read them and clear the code.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
gggplaya makes a very good point. I traded my Ridgeline for a 2011 F-150 5.0 litre. The F-150 with a 6 speed got slightly better overall MPG than the Ridgeline.

Towing the boat with the Ridgeline was very good but towing that boat with the F-150 was really sweet. The Ridgeline got 15 mpg while the F-150 got 16.5mpg.

Non-towing they got about the same MPG.
Thanks, I'm also considering the reliability, durability and how they hold their value. Good comments.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrojim View Post
Thanks, I'm also considering the reliability, durability and how they hold their value. Good comments.
I don't think it matters what truck you get(Nissan, Ford, Ram, Chevy, Toyota), they all hold their value rediculously well when you get a crew cab. Apparently that's what everyone wants. I'm shopping for a new truck now, i'm looking at used ones from about 2008+. They're all pegging around $20k still, even after 5-6 years and 80k miles. So i think i'm going to buy a ram 1500 ecodiesel in 2 years(after they work out the bugs), which are going for about $32k brand new.

My reasoning is $20k truck with 80k miles on it will give me 5 less years of driving than a truck with 0 miles on it. Assuming i get rid of the truck with 160k miles on it. I'll get 5 years of driving with the $20k truck, and get 10 years of driving with a $32k truck. So i guess if you can swing the payment, then a new truck will be a better value hands down. Unless the truck is a weekend vehicle and not your daily driver. If it's going to sit alot, then a used truck would make sense.