Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #15
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
what about a rest area off of I95?

also, can you not use jumper cables between your TV and the TT battery to give it a bit of a charge???

might be a good idea to bring a long extension cord to plug into the rest area where available?

there is some overnight RV parks along 95 that cost about 25 to park overnight.
Bad idea, if you drain your car battery, how are you going to start it? That's why i mention keeping an extra battery or 2 in the truck bed. Then just charge those with a battery power connected to shore power.

gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
We travel a lot with cold nights.
If above freezing we just heat the unit to comfort temperature and shut of the heat till morning.
When lower then freezing outside we do the same but I usually reheat some around 4 am. Never had any issues down to lower teens F.
With heat outside at night running a fan while in bed is a wash as moving air do not change temperature. It's just a feeling of colder air and a waste to do it on batteries.
We love warm air as nature feels so nice.
We seldom use the AC as its a waste of unwanted noise that keeps me awake.
I just hate to spend time at our family condo as they keep the room temperature at the same as home in the north. I keep saying why go south if you can't stand the heat.
But I trained myself to stand heat. I worked in a paper mill that was at 92/100 F most days and humidity of over 90% for 32 years.

Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #17
I don't know about the newer diesels, but on the 2nd gen Dodge Cummins (98.5-02), despite conventional wisdom assuming it's ok to idle a diesel, idling that particular motor for more than 10 minutes is bad for it.

People assume because professional drivers idle that its ok. Well, it's not. Maybe the newer ones are different though. Still, you'll burn enough fuel to make considering a hotel a viable option.
cptgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by cptgregger View Post
I don't know about the newer diesels, but on the 2nd gen Dodge Cummins (98.5-02), despite conventional wisdom assuming it's ok to idle a diesel, idling that particular motor for more than 10 minutes is bad for it.
Idling any diesel engine at low idle RPM for more than a minute or so is a no no. Warming up a cold diesel engine by idling the engine at low RPM is a no no if you want the engine to last a half-million miles or more. Combustion chamber temps fall too low to provide complete combustion, and the result is a sticky tar-like mess called wet stacking that coats the valve seats and eventually results in an engine that won't run right.

Power Stroke diesels have options that elevate the idle RPM to high enough to result in combustion chamber temps that will support complete combustion. My '99.5 Power Stroke had logic built into the main computer (PCM) that elevated the engine idle RPM any time the engine was idling with freezing cold intake air temp (IAT). Mine also had an optional black box called an auxiliary idle controller (AIC) that could be set to automatically elevate the idle from low idle of 670 RPM to high idle of 1,200 or 1,300 RPM any time the engine was idling with the tranny in park and the parking brake engaged. Newer Power Strokes replaced the AIC with a built-in Stationary elevated idle control (SEIC) logic in the main computer that must be activated before it will work.

But in Texas heat is usually our problem, not cold IAT. So I used my AIC to elevate the idle RPM so the Air Conditioner would put out more and colder air to keep Puppydog happy while I was in Wal-Mart or the Mall or the SuperMarket. At low idle RPM the AIC didn't do much good, but at 1,200 RPM it did fine in 100 ambient temps to keep my CrewCab cool. I had that pickup for over 10 years, and never had a problem with someone trying to drive off with my idling pickup with the Border Collie inside.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote