Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #1

Keeping my truck running

Thursday evening the family and I are heading down to Orlando for our annual visit to Disneys Fort Wilderness. We will be stopping for the night between 10pm and midnight for a few hours to get some sleep before we finish the trip down to Disney in the morning. I'm thinking of stopping at a Walmart or somewhere like that where I can just park, put out the slide outs and get some sleep. I understand and correct me if I'm wrong as long as I have my trailer hooked up to my truck with the trailer light cord still plugged into the truck it will provide 12v power to the trailer so I can run my lights and fan inside.

My question is will there be any problem keeping my truck running while we sleep in order to keep power going to the trailer so I can run the create-a-breeze fan with out draining the trailers battery. My truck is a 2013 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins diesel.

Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #2

Well i see your concern. My only concern with leaving the truck running at would be. The truck over heating while parked or some dummy breaking into the truck and taking you for a ride.

If you are only stopping for a few hrs and just using the overhead fan I don't think it will kill the battery. And not sure if with the dodge trucks when they are shut off the 12 volt supplie turns off. But if you do turn the truck off unplug the tralier because if the trucks 12 volt supply line dose not shut off you will end up draining the truck battery and be really stuck.

Have a safe trip.

Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #3

Aside from the security of leaving a running vehicle a lot of places now have anti idling laws with times in minutes.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #4

You really shouldn't run a diesel engine for so long near your family like that. THe emissions is really bad, a little better since you have a 2013, but still bad.

Your best best is to plop 2-3 deep cycle batteries in your truck bed, and wire them to a trailer receptacle. Then unplug your trailer from your truck and plug into those batteries. Convert all your lights on your trailer to LED if you plan on running them all night. The fantastic fan draws about 1.5amps on high, so it should last all night even with just the house batteries. Halogen lights are huge current draws, so i wouldn't run those all night with just batteries. Then, have a 12v battery charger with you, and when you get to the campground, you can charge the batteries in your truck bed.

Even with just the batteries in the trailer. Assuming you have good condition group 24, possibly group 27 batteries in your trailer. Group 24 batteries are 75amp hours. Assuming you have 2 batteries and only want to drain them 20%, you should be able to run just the fan for about 20 hours no problem. If you have group 27 batteries, it would obviously be much longer.

I would make sure you turn off your inverter, and anything else that could possibly drain power, and just run the fan. If you want to run lights, convert them to LED, and give us specs on the lights. I can tell you if it's feasible to run them all night.

Here's what you need if you want to put batteries in your truck bed: Trailer Connectors Vehicle End Connector Wiring | etrailer.com
Old 05-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Rule 1. Be sure the house battery is a deep-cycle battery, such as a marine battery. Most RV trailers do NOT come stock with a deep-cycle battery, and an ordinary starter battery won't last long if deep discharged, such as running a fan all night.

My old 5er and my newer TT both have one big deep-cycle battery. I can run a small fan all night with no problem. But if I run the gas furnace, the furnace fan plus the electronic gas ignitor will run down the battery on a cold night. No harm done because the tow vehicle altenator will slowly charge the house battery back up during an all-day drive, and a deep-discharge battery can be discharged without drastically shortening the life of the battery. But the altenator probably won't charge the house battery enough during an 8 to 10 hour drive to fill the battery with power. So I also carry a good automatic battery charger and plug it into shore power when I camp in a commercial campground that night.

I also haul a Honda EU2000i generator that puts out enough watts to run the battery charger and/or the furnace fan. So if I'm boondocking for a second night in a row, I'll run the genearator to recharge the house battery and to run the furnace fan overnight.
Honda EU2000i Super Quiet Generator (EU2000iA) 2000 watt
(You shouldn't run even a quiet generator such as the EU2000i when parked in a Wal-Mart parking lot)

And for summertime travel, I haul a 5,000-watt generator so I can run the AC when boondocking. But "boondocking" doesn't include parking in a Wal-Mart parking lot. If I were buying today, instead of the 5,000-watt Honda generator, I'd buy the EU2000i Companion that ties together with the EU2000i using the expensive Honda parallel cord that ties the two generators together. The two small, quiet, efficient generators put out enough power to run one AC overnight.
Honda EU2000i Parallel Combo Package Generators
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgel2584 View Post
We will be stopping for the night between 10pm and midnight for a few hours to get some sleep before we finish the trip down to Disney in the morning.
I'm thinking of stopping at a Walmart or somewhere like that where I can just park, put out the slide outs and get some sleep.
My question is will there be any problem keeping my truck running while we sleep in order to keep power going to the trailer so I can run the create-a-breeze fan with out draining the trailers battery.
Thanks in advance
Mgel2584
IMO, you are worrying needlessly, (and looking for a solution to a
non-problem).

Doesn't your trailer have a house battery, or a bank of house batteries?
(most RV trailers do).

If yours DOES, (and if it is fully charged), the "create-a-breeze fan", lights and most other 12V things in your trailer will operate for days without a connection to your truck.

BTW, "stopping over night without shore power", is similar to "dry camping" and/or "boondocking", which many trailer owners do often in campgrounds with NO hookups... (sometimes for days on end), without running their trucks.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

Mel is correct, but maybe not for days--surely, overnight will not be a problem IF the batteries are fully charged.
I would not idle the truck--simply because it is not necessary.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #8

Thanks for all the input. To be on the safe side when I stop I will just turn the truck off and use the house battery to run the lights and fan. Temps will be in the low 60's which should make it comfortable inside for the night. Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
No don't leave the truck running. DUH
Old 05-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #10

I also carry a battery booster pack and have (on a very cold night) connected it to the trailer battery to help keep the heater going all night. I run a cable lock through the handle and lock it to the trailer frame if I'm in a Wallyworld lot. Have a great trip, shouldn't be a problem
Old 05-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #11

remember, when it's cold you can cuddle closer and when it's hot she can wear less!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgel2584 View Post
Thanks for all the input. To be on the safe side when I stop I will just turn the truck off and use the house battery to run the lights and fan. Temps will be in the low 60's which should make it comfortable inside for the night. Thanks again.
Just keep in mind that halogen lights will kill your batteries. A fan is very efficient and only uses about 1.5amps on high. Halogen bulbs are extremely inneficient because it creates so much heat. SO much heat is required to cause the filament to glow, it's just tons of wasted energy. A typical 40w bulb will draw over 3amps from your batteries, that's per bulb. So if you have 4 bulbs, that's over 12 amps. Your batteries would probably be depleted before the night is over.

A typical LED bulb is about 3w, which is about 0.25amps per bulb. Not bad. A flourecent bulb is about 9w, so about 0.75amps per bulb, also much better than a halogen bulb.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #13

what about a rest area off of I95?

also, can you not use jumper cables between your TV and the TT battery to give it a bit of a charge???

might be a good idea to bring a long extension cord to plug into the rest area where available?

there is some overnight RV parks along 95 that cost about 25 to park overnight.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #14

When we camp we often don't have hook-ups. I run lights, water pump, fan, etc. for a day or two off the battery.
If you can't run a fan and a few light for a couple hours without having your truck idling something's seriously wrong with your battery.