Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Kicking Myself In The A !!!!!

Took a quick weekend trip to our favorite local State Park,left after work Fri and got all set up by 4 pm. We awoke Sat. morn.and decided to run down to the weekend Flea Market, was just about to leave and saw a few vendors set up in the parking lot, so walked over to one guy with a lot of tool and guy stuff , plus some trailer balls and some basic hitch stuff, tried to joke with the guy,but no personality at all. Then i saw it, a complete equalizer 4 point hitch ( except missing the L pins ) he saw my interest and now decides to talk,says he bought it from a estate sale, ask him how much, $125 he says ( great price !!! I think ), i offer $100, he say no, i leave, i return, offer $110,all the cash i have i told him ( I lied ,it is a flea market ), he says no, $125 firm . Now i'm a liitle pissed he would not negotiateat all ! ( now i have lost sight on how great a deal it is ), point out it's missing the pins, still no. I leave.

We go down I95 to Camping World, they have the pins, i buy them and tell the wife lets go back and get that hitch ( a big improvement on the one we have ) . Back to the flea market and HE"S GONE !!!!!!!!

I still am pissed at myself,, had a great deal rite in my hand and for a lousy $15 left it get away.

Say something to comfort me "PLEASE"

rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
Been there done that ....it's gets us all....

mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Maybe he will be back next weekend. The odds are he will still have the hitch.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:28 AM   #4
I am with tuff... odds r he will still have it... it's kind of a niche thing... just be sure if u see him again to make sure it is the right unit for your rig... they make different weight rated bars and such for the different models
2014 Ram 3500 CCLB 4x4 Dually 68RFE, 370/800 Cummins 3.42 highway gear - Deep Cherry Red
2016 Coachmen Chapparal 360IBL
Sold - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCLB 4x4 - Cummins Power
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:55 AM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
There will be another deal another day.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A
mikebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:34 AM   #6
National RV Owners Club
I wouldn't blame yourself too much... the guy must be a newbie flea marketeer.

Price negotiation is part of the fun of flea markets. Sellers should NEVER expect to sell at asking price. He's the one who lost a sale for $15.

1998 National Dolphin 36' 5360 GM with tag axle.
Using my segway for a toad.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:49 AM   #7

Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Maybe he will be back next weekend. The odds are he will still have the hitch.

Good luck
And the price will be $150.00 now!

Sorry, no help here, been there, still can't get a few deals that I turned down out of my mind, even years later!
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
2001 Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
D'oh! - Homer Simpson.
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:05 AM   #9
Sorry you missed the deal, but as the guys on American Pickers say "the time to buy it is when you see it"... 'cause you may never see it again.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #10
I have a friend who is a cheap chiseler. He went to a swap meet to buy a motorcycle tire and tried the same thing with the same results. I don't understand why if something is offered at what you acknowledge is a good deal you can't just pay the man, take your prize and enjoy it.
1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #11

Those things are heavy. I bet you'll get your number next weekend.
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
mel s
In hine sight you are dead correct !!!!

rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I do the garage sale scene many weekends. One time came across a estate sale with a like new Blue Ox tow bar and Roadmaster shield. $50. Plus bought about 6 or gallon jugs of RV cleaning supplies for 50 cents each. Ended up selling the tow stuff for $650 on Craigslist.

You can't be "cheap" when you see something at a flea market and know it's a good deal. You can tell In a persons response to your $100 offer he was not budging. Most flea market "regulars" are willing to sit on a item all season to get what they preceive as their price.

Very rarely do I get many deals at flea markets.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote