Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
If you would take the time to email or call Maxxis you will get a “canned answer” about their load inflation chart that goes something like this.

“Use the tire pressure provided by the vehicle manufacturer or retail installer“.

In other words, they will not take responsibility for individual tire pressures. They build the tires and provide the specifics about the product. The Vehicle manufacturer is responsible for selecting the correct tire pressure and making that known to the end user. Replacement tires would have the same pressure (s) if they are the same size as the OE tires. When they differ the retail installer would use the specifications of the OE tires to set a new tire pressure.

FastEagle

p.s. The only thing wrong with the OPs tires is; THEY WERE/ARE WORN OUT! It happens, nothing lasts much longer than it's life expectancy.
Actually I did call them. After talking to the rep on the phone he e mailed me the chart and gave me the link. I can understand the tire manufacturers hesitance to provide a specific pressure for any given make or model trailer. Just like a motorhome there can be several hundred if not thousands of pounds weight difference depending on the options purchased and the way the owner loads it.

I agree that the tires are worn out. In my first post on the subject I noted that the tires were not only down to but wearing on the tread wear indicators. That means there's less than 2/32" of tread remaining.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #44

I had the same problems with goodyear,after 12 tires that came apart,cords exposed,bulges,you name it we had it happen.tire dealer did replace some.We drive 65mph,aired at max by manufacture spec. We are not overloaded(that is what scales are for) We put on carlisle, more plys,higher air preasures. Two years around 10,000 miles so far, none
freeisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #45
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeisme View Post
I had the same problems with goodyear,after 12 tires that came apart,cords exposed,bulges,you name it we had it happen.tire dealer did replace some.We drive 65mph,aired at max by manufacture spec. We are not overloaded(that is what scales are for) We put on carlisle, more plys,higher air preasures. Two years around 10,000 miles so far, none
I have believed for years that many if not most RVs have tires that are over loaded, maybe not technically but but practically. A higher cap. tire will hold up a lot better. It's about money and we are letting them(the manufacturers) get away with it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd
if the tire says Max 50 psi and you are fully loaded... you need to remove a few lbs of air as the tires will heat up under load raising the pressures. If you exceed the sidewall recommended... blow outs and blown belts are not out of the question.
That Sir, is not what is intended by the engineers.

Recommend you obtain a copy of the TRA's yearbook.

Look closely at the footnotes for ST tires and what is required to increase maximum speed of these tires.

(hint: one is 90% loading of maximum loading and the other is inflation over the max cold inflation by 10 PSI)

Overinflation is not a typical cause of failure...
N3YMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well since i figured out out just how old they were I kinda understood why they failed. Not happy but i do understand.
THen i went to look at goodyears website. The warrenty is 6 years or down to the last 2/32nds of a inch of tread.
So I went and bought a new set of goodyears although I did upgrade it to the 15 inch wheel and tire. And of course I did put away the bill for the new tires to prove when my 6 years starts.
I even found what appears to be the few remaining USA made goodyears.

I still belive that the sidewall rubbber used in todays tires is not nearly as UV resistant as the sidewalls were years ago.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #48

Wishing you good luck on the new tires--an upgrade in size/capacity is always a good thing. Suggest, tho, that you watch them most closely past the 2-year mark.
And, keep us up on how you are doing. Tires are a big deal on the forums.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #49

I've seen this time and time again, Goodyear transferred their factories overseas not so long ago. The marathon radial tires used to be the best trailer tires out there, I never used anything else. It was night and day when they shipped their operations overseas. As far as I'm concerned even with the trusted goodyear name i see no value what so ever in the marathon tire since the switch. Issues with treadwear, cupping, even tread separation. I've switched to the Loadstar tires i believe made by Kenda - they don't have the largest name in the automotive world but their trailer tires are the toughest I've found. Ive been using these for the last 3 years now: ST145/R12 Trailer Tire and have had no issues as i have with goodyear. Ok rant over
dpankau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Several things about tires on trailers.
Finally, there is the issue of inflation... It needs to be the PROPER pressure for the load the wheel is carrying.. NOT the "Maximum Pressure" (normally) stamped in the side wall and not often any pressure mentioned in or on the Trailer or it's paperwork. since the odds of you loading the trailer the way the factory anticipated approach ZERO.
Respectfully, I disagree with trying to match the trailer tire pressure with the load you're actually carrying, if that's what you're saying. I always inflate to the maximum pressure on the side wall, as most others here are suggesting. Under your approach, you are giving the 'just enough' load carrying capacity. Why not take advantage of the full capability of the tire?

Couple of situations to ponder:

What if you're incorrect on your trailer weight and it's heavier than you expect? You're now driving on underinflated tires.

What if you have a blowout? You now have 1 tire on that side carrying the load of two tires, which will probably lead to a quick second blowout.
drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #51

I've been told 6-7 years is it on trailer tires, no matter what the tread and sidewall look like.
Texas Bohunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bohunk View Post
I've been told 6-7 years is it on trailer tires, no matter what the tread and sidewall look like.
Considering the cost of replacing ST tires every 5 years vs the cost of repairs due to failure and the resulting damage, it's an easy decision for me at least...
N3YMY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires