Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Ladder bars for Dually

I am fairly new here and did a search but could not find anything. I am looking into ladder bars for my F-350 crewcab dually 2wd to control some axle rap when accelerating with the trailer. I have found them for 4wd trucks but not for 2wd. Does any body know of a company that makes them. I have searched for hours on the internet but am not able to find any. It is amazing the movement that is there when you accelerate.
Thanks for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
jeffreyj,
If I'm not mistaken the rear are the same 4wheel drive or 2 wheel drive. So if you find a set that you like for a 4wheel drive, call the manufacturer and check.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #3

If you are saying 'axle wrap' and meaning it shudders, it could be the clutches in the LS differential grabbing. I had that problem and Ford cured it by replacing the fluid and using double the recommended friction modifier.
The same feeling can be caused by the CV joint in the driveshaft wobbling in the support bearing cradle.
Some things to consider before going to the traction bars...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #4

No it is not a shudder it is actual spring movement on take off. It is not a problem just wanted to keep the springs from rolling,easier on the suspension and u-joints.I replaced the diff.lube. I installed a mag hy-tec diff case and used amsoil gear lube and it works great. I now have almost 8quarts of gear oil in the rear to help keep it cool,and no rear shudder. Thanks
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #5

Boy, I would think that a 1 ton dually of any make would have stiff enough springs that you wouldn't need anything else. You don't list anything much about this TV, did you purchase used? Possible previous owner wanted a softer ride and changed springs? If new did it come with a HD towing package or maybe a ride package with lighter springs? A little help here please
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #6

Since I don't monitor any other truck brand forums I don't know much about GMs or Dodges, but some Fords do suffer from spring movement from the torque applied under heavy loads. Seems to be a rare, but not unheard condition.
As to a 1 ton having enough springs, what about the 3/4 tons with the same engine and trans? Their springs should be even more prone than a 1 ton, if it was going to be a problem.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote