Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #1

LED rear light problems

Just bought a Sunnybrook TT and the first owner put LED lights all around. The problem I'm having is that the brake lights/turn signals won't come on. The tail lights work (same LED lights) but not when I use the brake/turn. They are pert of the same package, I assume. It's just one light per side (of course multiple bulbs). Is there a reason why the tail lights would work and NOT the brake/turn lights won't? I would think that there is a capaciter or some such thing for each set of lights, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere on the trailer. So, I'm assuming then that they are integrated into the light fixture. Anyone got any ideas?

BTW - newbie to this whole thing including TT and website.

Tim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
Just bought a Sunnybrook TT and the first owner put LED lights all around. The problem I'm having is that the brake lights/turn signals won't come on. The tail lights work (same LED lights) but not when I use the brake/turn. They are pert of the same package, I assume. It's just one light per side (of course multiple bulbs). Is there a reason why the tail lights would work and NOT the brake/turn lights won't? I would think that there is a capaciter or some such thing for each set of lights, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere on the trailer. So, I'm assuming then that they are integrated into the light fixture. Anyone got any ideas?

BTW - newbie to this whole thing including TT and website.

Tim
When I tried to put LED lamps on my 2010 Via they would not work. I took it to the dealer and was told (after a 1/2 hour diagnosis - checking the circuits with a fancy light box tester), that some of the switching circuits depend on load to work correctly. In other words if the LED units do not draw enough currant the internal "solid state" relays will not operate.

Sure enough when I changed out the light units with old indecentest bulbs - all worked just fine.

PHESPE

Old 07-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
bobdog......It's been awhile since this topic came up. If I remember correctly, I think you have to change out your turn signal flasher to a lighter duty model or one that is compatible with led's.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
bobdog......It's been awhile since this topic came up. If I remember correctly, I think you have to change out your turn signal flasher to a lighter duty model or one that is compatible with led's.

Thanks Don. That seems so intuitively opposite of what is "normally" the remedy for extra blinkers on a trailer, that I'm surprised. I know very little to nothing about LED's and so I'll take your word for it and "lessen" the power from my flasher unit. Usually, as I know you are aware, you need to increase the power of the flasher unit in order to deal with the extra flasher bulbs drawing amps from the flasher unit. But, in this case I assume you are saying that the larger unit could be causing the problem. Well, I'll try it out. The only problem with the solution is that I have the OEM flasher unit on the TV. So it wasn't ever, to my knowledge, upgraded to a larger unit. But, I'll check it and make sure it is at least OEM. Then we can either get the problem resoloved, or move on to another possible solution. Thanks for the idea.

Tim
Old 07-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tim....If your tow vehicle came with a tow package, it may have included the HD flasher. Like I said, this was discussed a year or so ago, but I can't remember which forum. You might try some searches here and on RV.Net.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote