Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
Length of TT vs Weight

We have a Hybrid and love it but I cannot close the pop-outs alone w/o help. So I am looking for something with bunks for the kiddos. The Hybrid has lots of room as far as sleeping. Not sure what I can handle for length and weight. I am at 4550# 23.5' currently with a 5.4 Triton, Super CREW F-150. We go to the Mtns. most of the time. Does anyone know the thresholds or have experience in this area.

PapaTrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Look at the door sticker for payload (cargo capacity) limits. For a 1/2 ton, this is generally the first number to be a limit for towing TTs.

Your payload will need to be high enough to hold:
1)All people in the vehicle
2)All gear in the vehicle
3)The hitch
4)12% of the GVWR of any TT you consider.

You will very likely exceed the payload long before you exceed the GCVWR.

2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS Blue Ox WDH
2015 RAM 1500 4X2 CrewCab, 5'7'' bed, 3.93 gears, 5.7L 8-speed VVT, Payload 1608, Max tow 10,400
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
I feel like I know the travel trailer and tow vehicle game pretty well by experience with different combos. What I'd like to know is what year f150, what gear ratio, and what weight distribution hitch are you using. Last year 5.4 f150 was 2010 so if you have that truck with 3.73 gears and an equivalent to the equalizer 4pt hitch I think you'd be comfortable with a 7k TT around 30ft in length. Keep in mind though that the gas motor will strain in the higher elevations, that's just the nature of the beast but if you're aware of that and understand you can't drive 60mph up every pass then you'll be fine. I had a 8.1L yukon xl with 3.73 gears with a 9200lb TT and on a 6% grade at 4500ft I could only pull 50mph. If you go by the numbers though, 7k TT have roughly 700lb tongue weight, CC f150 1200lb payload. Depending on what you load in the truck you should be OK. These are loaded weights BTW, not dry weights
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Had a 2010 F150 5.4 with 3.55's and it fought like mad to lug our little 5900lbs TT through some decent hills- never even considered mountain passes. 3.73s may have helped a bit, but I doubt by much. On the 6% grades we pulled frequently when we got up in elevation that thing was screaming it's guts out. The elevation of our usual spot is actually a little higher than quite a few passes in the rockies, if that helps for reference. I knew I sure wasn't going any bigger, but we were also right at or a little over GCWR with all the body weight and other crap in the truck. That's alarmingly easy to do with a half ton unfortunately.

The 5.4 has the power, but the biggest factor will be your gearing and the transmission. The 6 speed is almost necessary in those as far as I am concerned.

Short answer- I'd stay close to 25-26' and around 6-6500 loaded with the right gear and transmission combo. This is not taking into account GVWR of the truck etc. There are lots that pull 8-9K and say it's like "it's not even there!" but having owned this truck, I know better.
smurfsofwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #5
I pulled a 30'10", 7200lb TT with a 2010 F150 MaxTow (3.73 gears) Super Crew 5.5 bed, 4x4 and 6sp tranny.
I live in Oregon so hills and mtn passes are routine for a camping trip. The 5.4 is low on power compared to todays V8's but is pretty much bullet proof. That's why it was an option in earlier F250's. Anyway as far as towing goes it's fair to say that it got the job done, albeit with some constant tranny searching. No OD lockout on the 2010 6sp. In the mtns or steeper hills 3000-3500 rpms were the norm.
Handling was fair which I attribute to a poorly designed Heartland TT.
My MaxTow option gave me 1857lbs for payload. That's what you need to look at. Check the door jamb for the weight sticker. Length will be an issue but a good WDH should mitigate that. It really depends on your trucks configuration as to what you can tow. Not all 1/2 tons are created equal.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
hello my v10 with 3.73 gears would not pull any grades well and the gas mpg sucked when towing so with a stock tire size i put 4.88 gears in it now it tows anything up any grade with ease and got 2 mpgs better when towing and .5 mpg less when not towing. imo put more gear in the truck and you will love the drivability.
TL259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Thanks for the responses. It is making my changeover much easier, and has answered alot of my previous assumptions about my truck and what it can really handle. I am not wanting to pull a load that is going to be damaging to the engine, but wanted to know my thresholds b4' I make another purchase. We go mostly to the Mtns. and stay many times at 11K' so the easier the pull ... the better. Thanks for all your input.
PapaTrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We have a hybrid too that we enjoy having the two bunk beds. In a 26' length it suits us well. With that said, we are in the future looking for a more 4 season RV trailer. But trying to keep it under 28' is hard to find with bedding for 3 people (couple and one adult child) with a 64"+ couch, decent sized shower, counter space.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote