Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Replace or not?
Do it! 15 37.50%
Not really necessary. 25 62.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #15

OK, you guys are beginning to convince me. Any opinions on whether I could use the remaining unused 80 series ST tire as a spare for the 85 series LT's? Especially since it sounds like with LT tires I won't even need a spare... (just kidding.)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

If I needed 16" trailer tires, there's only one I would consider. Michelin XPS. Expensive, but you're worth it. It's an LT tire, but rated for all position service, including trailer service.
http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...?tread=XPS RIB

For 15" trailer tires, I've been very happy with Maxxis ST225/75R15E. It's one of the very few load range E 15" trailer tires.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
OK, you guys are beginning to convince me. Any opinions on whether I could use the remaining unused 80 series ST tire as a spare for the 85 series LT's? Especially since it sounds like with LT tires I won't even need a spare... (just kidding.)
With all the trailers I have owned, I did or do carry two spares. Not much comfort blowing a tire and traveling without a spare. I came home once on three legs and it was nerve wracking. Smiller, keep the 80 series for a second spare, or see it you can trade it for an 85 series. There are a lot of small tire shops that would probably do that for you, especially if it is unused. If you can prove that it is unused, maybe the place you bought it from would trade you or give you a huge discount.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #18

SmokeyWren, The only Michelin that will ever be under any of my vehicles will be what's left of the one I drive over that is laying in the middle of the road.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
SmokeyWren, The only Michelin that will ever be under any of my vehicles will be what's left of the one I drive over that is laying in the middle of the road.
Sounds like a political position - maybe you're mad at the French? But I'm sure that the employees at the 14 Michelin tire plants in the USA would be disappointed in your stance.
Our Locations - Careers at Michelin
Old 04-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #20

Financial. Their money grubbing CS cost me a lot of $s in damage to my truck. I used to be a Michelin customer before that. Had them on my GTO, Vette, T-Bird, Datsun, VW, Dodge Ram 1500 and Dodge Ram 2500.

I like French... toast, fries, bread, etc...
Old 04-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #21

After reading enough RV tire threads I'm convinced that if mil-spec Humvee tires were put on trailers you would read about reports of failures.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #22

If you're talking about this style tread pattern, they actually wear out before timing out. My brother had them on his pick-em-up-truck.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sounds to me like when we need new tires on our old 88 used motor home... it's going to cost more than the Motor Home did!
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #24

And the winner is... (was 'Replace or Not Replace')

Maxxis M8008 ST235/80-16E. Couldn't find any complaints about this tire, only praise, and I could get it for about half the price of the Michelin Ribs and I preferred to stay with a trailer-specific tire.

Anyway, while I was having them mounted I compared the M8008 to the Power King Towmax tires that came with the unit and... wow, night and day difference! Not only were the M8008 tires much heavier than the Towmax the sidewalls were also much stiffer and more solid, and I don't mean a little, I mean a lot. The Towmax seemed downright flimsy in comparison. It's hard to believe that these two tires are considered similar to one another. If I was at all questioning the value of replacing them before I'm not now.

This (admittedly limited) experience makes me wonder whether it really is ST-rated tires themselves that are 'cheap' or whether it's just that many of the common (especially OEM-supplied) ST tires are poorly-made giving them all a bad name. I mean, as I described above I was comparing two 'ST' tires of the exact same size and rating, but they seem to be two completely different animals.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #25

I tried Maxxis ST tires in a 15' size and they held up about the same as any other ST tire. My 5er was over 2000 pounds under the total tire weight rating. Went with an LT tire and never had another tire failure.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I tried Maxxis ST tires in a 15' size and they held up about the same as any other ST tire.
Which means... what? Did you have the Maxxis fail on you? I'd be interested in knowing because I've had a difficult time uncovering any complaints about them.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #27

The last ST set I had was Maxxis. I had one separate and went with LT tires. I would have gone to LT tires sooner, but a Discount Tires salesman told me that LT tires weren't meant to dissipate the heat like an ST tire does. I have four friends that also went to LT tires on either their 5er or enclosed trailer without another failure.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #28

It's not just the Discount Tire salesman that recommends ST tires for heavy trailers but virtually every manufacturer and professional source I can find. But nevermind, the ST vs. LT thing tends to be a religious issue so don't want to get into that, just be happy for me.

Tags
replace, tires