Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Replace or not?
Do it! 15 37.50%
Not really necessary. 25 62.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
The problems with Marathon ST tires are well documented and pervasive. If I had been aware of forums such as this one back then I would never have purchased them.
Yes, that is why I de-selected them, and based on what I've read would advise others to do the same until Goodyear cleans up its act. But as I mentioned many times above specific problems with one brand or another does not necessarily damn every tire with an ST on its side.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Which manufacturers would those be? From what I read on manufacturer's websites I can't find any evidence that is correct as a general statement. There is a lot of confusion here caused by lumping multiple factors together.
I realize your new to the trailer towing world but its really not that confusing once you gain experience/experiences for choosing the best long term tire for a trailer. You can either learn the hard way or take some words of advise from your peers. I did a long time ago and simply don't have tire issues.
What necessary is to call the tire maker and ask which of their LT tire lines they recommend for heavy trailer service. I've seen BFG Commercial/Firestone Transforce/Goodyear Wranglers/Cooper SRM II/Uniroyal Lerado HD-H/ Bridgestone Duravis R-250 recommendations from their manufacturer.
HH II used Uniroyal HD-H LT for years with great sucess on 6k axles
Quote:
I'm not trying to prove anyone right or wrong, and in fact depending on the specifics it looks like either 'side' on the issue can be correct. The only real error seems to occur when blanket statements are made.
Some blanket statements concerning ST vs LT tires come from years of experience of what works and what sure looked good on the tire makers website or before the net a tire brochure in a tire store.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
If I had known we were going to sell our 5'th wheel and buy a Bounder I would have gone for a less expensive (trailer compatible) LT tire as well!
I don't think you'll find any "less expensive (trailer compatible) LT tires". It has to be rated as a commercial "all position" or "trailer position" truck tire.

Michelin makes it only in the XPS, their most expensive LT tire. The XPS is available only in a few 16" sizes. None of the other Michelin LT tires are included on the Michelin Truck website, so none are rated for trailer service.

Goodyear has two 16" LT tires that are the same as the XPS, tripple steel sidewalls and just as expensive and just as limited in the few 16" sizes available. G947 with A/S tread, and G949 with rib tread. They also have one tire in only size LT235/85R16G that is rated trailer position only. G614 RST. But all their other LT tires, including all the various Wranglers, are not rated as truck all-position or trailer tires.

I haven't spent a lot of time analysing other tire manufacturers, but what little searching I did didn't reveal any LT tires rated for trailer service.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #46

So, does that mean I shouldn't have used the Yokohama LT215/85-R16 tires on my 5er? I went over 15,000 miles in over 35 trips without a single failure, but went through 4-5 brands of ST tires that failed at least once or twice a year? On one lightly loaded trip, I had 3 GY Marathons separate or throw rubber.

How may people would want to put trailer rated LT tires on their truck? It's not that inferior ST tires are rated for trailers. It's that cheap ST tires are not rated for automobiles. There's a reason for that and it's not in the design of the tire. "Dissipate heat better", "less drag", "better mileage", blah, blah, blah. Sell a lot of inferior tires at a lower price and make more money. There's more money in volume sales. Put real LT tires on 5ers and ST tire sales would plummet.

I checked all my tires before and during each trip and was also 2000 lbs under the rating for the tires. If possible, I made any U turns on dirt or very wide ones to prevent excessive flexing of the trailer tires.

There is more than enough experience in this thread that proves that LT tires are the better choice. Even cheap ones would be better than ST tires.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I don't think you'll find any "less expensive (trailer compatible) LT tires". It has to be rated as a commercial "all position" or "trailer position" truck tire.

Michelin makes it only in the XPS, their most expensive LT tire. The XPS is available only in a few 16" sizes. None of the other Michelin LT tires are included on the Michelin Truck website, so none are rated for trailer service.

Goodyear has two 16" LT tires that are the same as the XPS, tripple steel sidewalls and just as expensive and just as limited in the few 16" sizes available. G947 with A/S tread, and G949 with rib tread. They also have one tire in only size LT235/85R16G that is rated trailer position only. G614 RST. But all their other LT tires, including all the various Wranglers, are not rated as truck all-position or trailer tires.

I haven't spent a lot of time analysing other tire manufacturers, but what little searching I did didn't reveal any LT tires rated for trailer service.
From everything I have put together it appears that Smokey is quite correct. It would be nice if you could simply grab any LT tire that fits and call it a day but that doesn't appear to be the case. There are amazinly few decent choices in the common 235/16E size, decent defined as those that are both formally approved for trailer service and have a good track record in actual use. In fact if you stay with 80 psi rims then it pretty much comes down to the Maxxis M8008 or the Michelin XPS. The XPS seems to be the best choice in absolute terms but at double the cost I'm not sure it is always the best in terms of value over the Maxxis (depending on one's intended usage), I guess we'll see.

The (89 page!) thread that JIMNLIN linked to had some good information (unfortunately about 2/3 of it was from the same people who pop up in every tire thread to defend their positions and call each other names) but the consensus of the experts in this and other threads seems to be the same... use appropriately-rated tires with at least a 15% safety margin in their weight rating over the actual running load, maintain and monitor them correctly, and stay within the manufacturer's (inflation, speed, etc.) limits. And I would add pick a tire that is in common use and does not have endless reports of failures ;-) These practices will likely give you better results than assuming that any LT tire is a magic bullet.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #48

That would be fine, except Michelin(Janet Stevens) calls all of their tire failures a "Run Flat" tire to get out of a warranty claim. She'll even send you pictures of run flat tires. Of course they are run flat. You don't have a sky hook to lift it off th ground as soon as it blows, so it has to run flat till you can find a safe place to stop.

Janet pulled that on me once and the second time it blew the right rear bed off my truck, I had an accident reconstruction group evaluate the tire and they put the blame on Michelin.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #49

smiller, I don't understand why you are pushing high priced ST tires when you can get moderately priced LT tires that do as good or better than an ST tire.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
smiller, I don't understand why you are pushing high priced ST tires when you can get moderately priced LT tires that do as good or better than an ST tire.
I think you may need to re-read what I've said, which is that you should choose an approved ST or LT tire... but it is important to use one that has been manufacturer-approved for trailer use (and every tire manufacturer seems to agree with this where they have made any statement at all.) In my and many other cases there are no 'moderately priced' LT options. There may indeed be a good manufacturer-approved LT alternative but it is going to be in the higher-priced commercial/truck line, or you are going to be using a tire that was not intended for trailer use.

I'm not saying that an ST or LT tire is better, I'm saying the proper tire for the application is better. Some LT tires may be better than some ST tires (and vice versa), but I can't find any reputable information at all that indicates any LT tire can be safely used in trailer service, much less that any LT tire on the market is automatically better than any ST tire. That idea seems to be a generalization based on some incomplete understandings and weak anecdotal evidence at best, and is certainly not supported by the people who design and manufacture the tires. I do see the 'LT as magic bullet' theory repeated a lot, but repeating something does not make it true.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #51

Was my choice of the Yokohama wrong according to the manufacturer? Worked for me and 3 or more other friends that had ST tire problems. They put them on their 5ers and enclosed trailers and never had another failure.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #52

I dunno... ask Yokohama?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #53

I did ask Discount Tire and they said a lot of people are going to LT tires for their 5ers and enclosed trailers with great success.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #54

In tire threads why is it when 'the guy at Discount Tire' recommends an ST tire he's an idiot, but if an LT tire he's the oracle?

The correct source for information is the manufacturer of the tire.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #55

Do manufacturers actually test LT tires on 5ers and trailers?

BTW, he is an idiot for recommending ST tires for anything short of a wheel barrow.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #56

LT's over ST's anyday. If it will hold up a truck, it should do good on a trailer. ST's that I have had always run hot. No more for me.

Tags
replace, tires