Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Replace or not?
Do it! 15 37.50%
Not really necessary. 25 62.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
LT's over ST's anyday. If it will hold up a truck, it should do good on a trailer.
OK guys, OK. After all you can't beat logic like that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #58

But, but... A Discount Tire salesman once told me that ST tires were meant to dissipate the heat better than a truck tire.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #59

Well, then, every truck should be running ST tires??? Think about it...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Hmmmm.....what to do with the 17.5" all position commercial Michelin tires that I have on my trailer? Since they can be used on a truck as well as a trailer, I guess they can't be as good as a real ST-designated trailer only tire (all of which I've run have failed)!!!

On the other hand, I've never had any problems at all with the LT-designated (but Michelin recommended for commercial trailer use) Michelin XPS Ribs I installed on our previous 5th wheel or the Michelin XTAs I installed on the current one. Go figger, I guess.....

Ya pays yore money, ya takes yore choice (and yore chances ).

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Hmmmm.....what to do with the 17.5" all position commercial Michelin tires that I have on my trailer? Since they can be used on a truck as well as a trailer, I guess they can't be as good as a real ST-designated trailer only tire (all of which I've run have failed)!!!
I'm not sure what your point is Rusty. No one has said that there's anything at all wrong with LT tires that have been approved for all-position or trailer use, or that they can't be as good as ST.

BTW, would you advise using any LT tire that comes off the rack on a trailer, regardless of whether the manufacturer intended them for that use? Just curious...
Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I'm not sure what your point is Rusty.
My point is that anyone who buys into the tire store propaganda that ONLY ST-designated tires should be installed on a trailer is needlessly eliminating some excellent, well-proven LT or all-position commercial tires from consideration.

Quote:
BTW, would you advise using any LT tire that comes off the rack on a trailer, regardless of whether the manufacturer intended them for that use? Just curious...
No more than I'd recommend using any ST tire that comes off the rack.

Rusty
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #63

If I was to buy an ST tire, it would be a Michelin, but I have over a thou$and reasons to never have a Michelin under any of my vehicles, unless I drive over one that was "Run Flat".

Alright smiller, you've made your point many times that if a tire is not "Approved" by the manufacturer for trailer use, nobody should do so and it "will" fail or is just wrong.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
....but I have over a thou$and reasons to never have a Michelin under any of my vehicles....
Your money, your choice.

Rusty
Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #65

Quote:
My point is that anyone who buys into the tire store propaganda that ONLY ST-designated tires should be installed on a trailer is needlessly eliminating some excellent, well-proven LT or all-position commercial tires from consideration.
I agree, but no one has said anything other than that, in this thread at least.

Quote:
No more than I'd recommend using any ST tire that comes off the rack.
So I guess that's a round-about way of saying that no, you wouldn't recommend using an LT tire that has not been approved for trailer/all-position use. I agree there as well, although it appears that several others here do not.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #66

LT for me.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #67

Just because an LT tire is not "approved" by the manufacturer doesn't mean it is unsafe or a not a better choice than an ST tire.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I agree, but no one has said anything other than that, in this thread at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNER View Post
The last ST set I had was Maxxis. I had one separate and went with LT tires. I would have gone to LT tires sooner, but a Discount Tire salesman told me that LT tires weren't meant to dissipate the heat like an ST tire does.
Emphasis above mine, and this statement was the subject of my response as it was restated (although with tongue in cheek) just prior to my post (ref post #58).

Quote:
So I guess that's a round-about way of saying that no, you wouldn't recommend using an LT tire that has not been approved for trailer/all-position use.
No, it means just what I said.

Rusty
Old 04-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Just because an LT tire is not "approved" by the manufacturer doesn't mean it is unsafe or a not a better choice than an ST tire.
I think saying that Michelin makes a poor tire and/or that using a tire for a purpose other than that it was designed for is a good idea are not very credible statements, but as Rusty said, your choice. But please don't put words in my mouth... I didn't say that a tire used in an improper application 'will' fail, people do it all the time and get away with it. People do all sorts of things out on the road and get away with it.

I've got an idea... why don't you email Yokohama and ask them whether they would advise for or against using your tire model for heavy trailer service? It would only take a few minutes. Tire manufacturers are usually very good at responding to such queries and if they agree with you then it's all good. Let us know what they say.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #70

Sorry for putting words in your mouth. I'm not saying that Michelin makes a bad tire, it's just the two of them exploded, taking out the right side of my truck... twice. The first time, Janet Stevens(CS) said it was run flat, even though it exploded with what I think was full pressure of 80psi. Janet cost me over $1000 for my deductible, time, inconvenience and damage to my trailer. The second time, I had an independent company evaluate the tire and they said it was Michelins fault. Bean counting Janet Stevens' poor customer service cost more than $1000 in sales. I was a Michelin man for many, many years before this happened. I put GY tires on and never had another problem. It's my money.

Tags
replace, tires