Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #1

Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 Ford F250 SD, crew cab, short bed with a 4" ProComp lift and 35" tires. I am considering buying our first 5th wheel, a Heartland Cyclone 3795 toyhauler. I'm concerned about clearance between the bed rails and the 5th wheel deck (I believe that is what it's called).

Anyone have experience, comments, solutions to pass along?

ToyHauler
Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #2

Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 Ford F250 SD, crew cab, short bed with a 4" ProComp lift and 35" tires. I am considering buying our first 5th wheel, a Heartland Cyclone 3795 toyhauler. I'm concerned about clearance between the bed rails and the 5th wheel deck (I believe that is what it's called).

Anyone have experience, comments, solutions to pass along?

ToyHauler
Old 06-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #3

Flip the axles on the trailer.

2006 WW LE3305 Billet
sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:56 PM   #4

Unfortunately they are already flipped.

I measured my box rails and they are 59" high. The 5th wheel deck is also 59". I don't see how I could get 6-7" of clearance and not have the back of the 5th wheel dragging the ground.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #5

Look at a Deset Fox by Northwoods....

They seem to build them high enough to be used on most trucks with mild lift kits on them.

Sid on the forum has a Nash Fiver built by Northwoods he used to pull with his 2000 F-250 that had the same lift and tires as yours. He had 6" of bed rail clearance on that one and teh trailer only sat about 2" high in the front.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:12 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
If the axles are already flipped, another (although major) approach is to have a qualified trailer fabrication shop (if the manufacturer won't do it) fabricate a subframe out of 2"x6" rectangular steel tubing to fit below the existing frame. The spring hangers then attach to this new subframe, raising the trailer 6". This subframe should obviously be cross-braced and welded securely to the parent frame.

Obviously, this has structural warranty implications, but it's an alternative!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:16 PM   #7

You could always put a flat bed on your truck.
Kevin & Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:48 AM   #8

Take the lift kit and oversize tires off your truck and regain the full towing capabilities. (IMO)
Old 06-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have to agree with tmm2good. You would be better to get back to stock height and tires to maintain your full towing potential and stability.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #10

Thanks for all of the comments folks. I ran some numbers and think I am going to be way overloaded with my truck. My GVWR is only 8800 lbs and tow capacity is 10k. I'm really considering a new truck.

I'm sure there is no shortage of opinions on which truck. I've read through all the specs and am looking at a Chevy 2500HD or a 3500. Only 500 pound capacity difference, so I'll go with whichever I find ina build I like.

Chevy is offering 0% financing for 72 months! That's free money!
Old 07-01-2006, 03:47 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tmm2good:
Take the lift kit and oversize tires off your truck and regain the full towing capabilities. (IMO) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best idea.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #12

Dude, settle down on that talk about taking the lift off. A man needs to contiue his image. TH, I have had two 5ers with a 6.5 ProComp lift and 37's. My current trailer is 35 feet long and has flipped axels. I just lowered the 5th wheel hitch and raised the pin box and still have 6 inches of clearence. I have talkin' mine to some pretty gnarly places without ever having to worry about crushing my bed. In fact, I have been more worried about pinching my bed in some parking lots that off road.

Dont do a flat bed unless all you want to haul is your trailer.

Maybe a new truck is in the cards. I would go 3500 (1 ton) no matter what brand. Take some advice from a guy that just torched his tranny towing a 15k lbs trailer and had to spend his wheel and tire money to fix it. No matter which truck you end up with, as long as you don't go too nuts on the lift you should be alright. Does anyone know the guy with the 12 inch lift that owns a 5er? I ran into him in Pismo about 2 years ago and had to talk to him about his rig. He seems to be alright.

Good Luck, Rod

WW LE3505
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toy Hauler:
Thanks for all of the comments folks. I ran some numbers and think I am going to be way overloaded with my truck. My GVWR is only 8800 lbs and tow capacity is 10k. I'm really considering a new truck.

I'm sure there is no shortage of opinions on which truck. I've read through all the specs and am looking at a Chevy 2500HD or a 3500. Only 500 pound capacity difference, so I'll go with whichever I find ina build I like.

Chevy is offering 0% financing for 72 months! That's free money! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get the 3500.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #14

Melon -
For getting Toyhaulers back in the woods off-road with a lifted truck, do you think a 5th wheel or a bumper pull would be best? (We're looking at 26'-30' Toyhaulers and going to lift our Chevy 6".)

Tags
heartland