Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 10:34 PM   #15

Maybe it was you I saw. lol

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #16

I have an engine hoist set up near the shop, a dummy king pin with a loop for the hook. Thought about dropping it on to a 4 wheel trailer, but ended up just dropping it on a stand that I move into place after the truck pulls out.

Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #17

Time to hit the gym. Turns out being able to lift heavy things and set them back down can be useful!

Granted, there's a big difference between a barbell and a cumbersome hitch, especially with the factory pucks for the Ram. My B&W companion has a very large footprint and while I can load it myself, I'm always worried about smashing the paint on the underside of the tailgate. So I just leave it in the truck. If I absolutely need to use the bed, I pull the head and get help from dear wife.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #18

Why not buy a low priced 12v winch like for an ATV. Much easier than cranking on that come along.
2500 lb. ATV/Utility Electric Winch with Wireless Remote Control
Old 06-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #19

Interesting that I don't hear this issue often but I am sure it is a very common issue. Heck, I have this issue and trying to figure out the same thing.

Two men can move my hitch and so far I have always been able to find help. I do not even consider DW.

But as I age and my helpers age I can see this becoming a huge issue.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #20

I only have a Reese 16k, not as heavy as yours but a lot to have to lift. I usually leave it attached to the pin and lift it from truck bed with fiver landing gear. Or, remove it in 2 pieces. I also have a hook in the garage rafters that I attach a hoist to skin deer in bad weather. Used it once to lift hitch out of the rain.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Interesting that I don't hear this issue often but I am sure it is a very common issue. Heck, I have this issue and trying to figure out the same thing.

Two men can move my hitch and so far I have always been able to find help. I do not even consider DW.

But as I age and my helpers age I can see this becoming a huge issue.

In my case, my little DW is stronger than most men, so I have no issue asking for her help.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #22

We have only had our fiver a few years; but after taking the hitch out the first time and setting it on saw horses-- we now leave it attached to the pin and hanging. Ours is a BW slider, so it is a bit more weight than some; but hanging from the pin and backing up under it and dropping into the goose-neck square hole has not been a problem.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
My DW struggles when helping me remove our 206# B&W Companion Hitch. Here is my idea that I would like opinions on:
- install a large lag eye-bolt in our garage ceiling/bottom of open web floor trusses
- attach one end of a come-along to the eye-bolt
- attach the other end to an eye-bolt that is run thru a metal plate
- have the metal plate under the hitch jaws with the come-along wire thru the jaws
- lower the hitch onto a shop dolly after pulling out

Has anyone else come up with an easier/simpler way to remove the hitch?
Or you could get the Anderson 5th Wheel hitch. It weighs 32lbs. I'm amazed by this device. Remarkable engineering.

https://youtu.be/qMW-ynhTatA
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Or you could get the Anderson 5th Wheel hitch. It weighs 32lbs. I'm amazed by this device. Remarkable engineering.

https://youtu.be/qMW-ynhTatA
That is how I'll go if I can once I get a 5'er. It's a no brainer. But on many truck/trailer combos you will need a different heavier hitch as the cap of the trailer can hit the cab of the truck in some situations. I am using the factoring of an easy to put in and take out hitch as a shopping tool when looking at trailer/truck combos.
If I am forced to get a slider hitch I want an automatic slider. If I do go that way I'll get a harbor freight or similar engine hoist with large easy roll wheels to man handle it. Back it the day a 300 lbs hitch would be no issue for me. Now at 64 yrs old with a totally ruined spine with 4 discs gone and 3 more damaged and having 2 bicep tendons blown in the last year I am more smarter. I've lifted my fair share of heavy stuff over the last 50 years and have paid the price.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #25

BTW, that is the old version of the hitch in that video. They have done a lot of improvements to it. Andersen makes cool stuff that those that use love and many who don't use hate. I've never figured that hatred out.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #26

Bob, do they make a super light typical fiver hitch that doesn't have a ball on it?
Old 06-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
Bob, do they make a super light typical fiver hitch that doesn't have a ball on it?
Not to my knowledge (which is limited) There are standard 5th wheel hitches out there that are a lot lighter than others. But I doubt you can find anything under 100 lbs. And that would be for a lightweight hitch. Pullrite sells a new hitch that is lightweight (65lb?) that does not have a ball on the hitch. The ball mounts on the trailer.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #28

Thanks.

Tags
5th wheel