Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #29

Anderson hitch ???? What if you get rear ended??? Is it going to hold that unit from going thru back of truck? Just asking. It does happen. Lightweight hitches not for me.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Anderson hitch ???? What if you get rear ended??? Is it going to hold that unit from going thru back of truck? Just asking. It does happen. Lightweight hitches not for me.
Oh my gosh yes! The other day I saw a guy with aluminum wheels on his 1 ton dually and he was trying to tow a 10,000 lb 5th wheel! What an idiot. Everyone knows as soon as he hits the brakes those aluminum wheels will just shatter and puppies will die.

The unit won't go through the back of the truck any quicker than any other unit I'd guess due to a rear end collision. As with any hitch in that situation the fail point would be the mount points and the mount points are the same. It's either gonna be rail mounted or center ball mounted.

Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #31

Didn't mean to sound harsh, but if you google rv 5th wheel hitch failures you'll find a lot of failures with the actual latching gear on "heavy" hitches but it's rare, and you'll find failures with the automatic slide equipment, but again it's few and far between. RV Hitches are built pretty good. If you google for Andersen failures you'll find one case of a bend frame on one, I am not sure if this was a factor for the company doing a slight redesign of the unit or not---you'll find most all people who have them love them--you find a lot of people who don't have them think they are deadly. It's just a crack up to me as the product has a huge positive feedback from users but gets slammed by non-users. The positive feedback includes better/smoother ride, ease of install, weight, ease of removal. The only negative feedback I have read has been in the form of remorse as their particular trailer/truck combo won't work via the cab/cab interference.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #32

One reason people buy B&M hitches is because the head unit can be removed from the base in about 2 seconds. Moving them in halves makes Companions and Patriots lift-able. I can easily deal with my Patriot hitch by myself.

If I had a 200 lb. hitch, I'd have a lifting ring in my garage ceiling and I'd be using a come-a-long or winch to lift the hitch. Harbor Freight has some 110 volt winches that fit over a steel pipe that will do the jo
Old 07-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #33

You will never see me with an aluminum hitch. Also one of the reasons I tow with a Semi. Also have the ET hitch on it. It weighs over 700#s. A couple a few years ago was stopped at an intersection red light. Was towing with a Semi with the ET hitch. A motorhome behind them never stopped. Will never know why. Couple in Semi were not hurt, camper destroyed and ET hitch stayed hooked. You will never see me with a lightweight hitch.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #34

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can't leave the hitch hanging because the B&W Companion hitch must be raised too far to remove it from the female receiver in the bed of the truck.

I have ordered a winch from Harbor Freight to raise it and will simply lower it onto my shop dolly.

thanks again.
Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #35

My 16k hitch is too heavy for my wife and me. I decided to buy a small electric winch from Harbor Freight (800lb max). I attached it to the garage ceiling since I store the hitch in the garage. I got the winch with the controller box that is on a cord about 8' long. I back the truck into the garage and position the hitch under the winch. Once the two are attached together I simply hit the up button until it clears the bed. I then pull forward so I can lower it onto a mechanics creeper and roll it to the storage spot. This takes one person, absolutely no lifting, and takes about two minutes to accomplish. Both my wife and my back thanked me!!
Old 07-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #36

I'll do this in 2 different posts.

First take a look at the Reese Goose Box it is a Lippert approved hitch that replaces the King Pin and allows the use of a gooseneck ball.

They come in 2 ratings 16K and 20K. I have the 20K on mine and love it. I have been very happy with the hitch. All I have to take out is a 5lb ball.

Reese - Goose Box

Old 07-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #37

2nd post;

I keep a 1100lb dog box in the back of my truck except when I am hauling my 5th wheel, so taking it in and out is a chore.

I had a guy come in and weld an I beam to the trusses in my shop and I went to Northern Tool and bought 2 trolleys and a 1500lb electric winch I built a plate for the winch to mount to and the trolleys to bolt to and mounted everything in. I hookup the box on the 4 corners and hit a button and the winch raises the box off the truck, we walk it back and I set it on 4 furniture dolly’s and just push it off in the corner.

If it were me I’d do the piece of pipe over the trusses and a chain hoist. Just back the truck in hoist the hitch up and drive out. Set the hitch down on a furniture dolly and scoot it out of the way.

The reason I went with the Goose Box was because I need my bed when I'm not pulling the trailer and it has really solved some problems for me. Not to mention it is an Air Ride Suspension system.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #38

I have a two part hitch by Curt. Easy in, easy out.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #39

I have a 2 part B&W that we take in and out occasionally but that does the OP no good so what's the point?

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 07-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
My DW struggles when helping me remove our 206# B&W Companion Hitch. Here is my idea that I would like opinions on:
- install a large lag eye-bolt in our garage ceiling/bottom of open web floor trusses
- attach one end of a come-along to the eye-bolt
- attach the other end to an eye-bolt that is run thru a metal plate
- have the metal plate under the hitch jaws with the come-along wire thru the jaws
- lower the hitch onto a shop dolly after pulling out

Has anyone else come up with an easier/simpler way to remove the hitch?
I could loan you my 33 year old son. Where do you live? I use him twice a year to help me with my B&W Companion. Even with 2 sections, it's more than I want to pick up.

Tags
5th wheel