Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #1

Lifting a 5th Wheel Hitch

My DW struggles when helping me remove our 206# B&W Companion Hitch. Here is my idea that I would like opinions on:
- install a large lag eye-bolt in our garage ceiling/bottom of open web floor trusses
- attach one end of a come-along to the eye-bolt
- attach the other end to an eye-bolt that is run thru a metal plate
- have the metal plate under the hitch jaws with the come-along wire thru the jaws
- lower the hitch onto a shop dolly after pulling out

Has anyone else come up with an easier/simpler way to remove the hitch?

Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Harbor Freight has a work cart with a hydraulic lift. Would just has to drag it onto the cart. Pros & cons for both ideas.

Dan

Old 06-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #3

All the companions I've seen are two piece. Still heavy, but doable.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
My DW struggles when helping me remove our 206# B&W Companion Hitch. Here is my idea that I would like opinions on:
- install a large lag eye-bolt in our garage ceiling/bottom of open web floor trusses
- attach one end of a come-along to the eye-bolt
- attach the other end to an eye-bolt that is run thru a metal plate
- have the metal plate under the hitch jaws with the come-along wire thru the jaws
- lower the hitch onto a shop dolly after pulling out

Has anyone else come up with an easier/simpler way to remove the hitch?
Sounds like a good idea. If you think that weight is too much for one truss you could add a 2x8 or 2x10 across 4 or 5 truss to tie them together and spread the weight.

If you didn't want to tie into the floor truss you could use a cherry picker (engine hoist) with a hydraulic jack. Might cost a little more than a come along but maybe a little safer.

I noticed you were from the nc mtns. I live in Lexington but am in Boone frequently. I had never heard of lansing, had to look it up on Google maps. Best of luck, those hitches are pretty heavy.

Chad
Old 06-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #5

I do this except I used a 1-1/2 x 10 foot pipe. Tricky to slip up there, but it divides the weight over several joists. I did the harbor freight electric hoist. Works perfect. It's very useful for alot of other thinks. Hiking up the back of the riding mower to change blades. Maybe I can use this opertunlity to slip in a brag. Maybe I don't need mine anymore. Our 23 yr old son just set 3 state bench press records and a dead lift record in his first US Powerlifting Association meet yesterday in Austin. Men's 242 raw class. 400 somethng on his bench and 500 something on his dead lift. Being his first meet he held back. His personal best for bench is high 500's and high 600's for squat and dead lift. Proud pop? yep. Especially knowing how down and depressed he was just three years ago. Won't nobody be talking about his momma anymore.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Sounds like a good idea. If you think that weight is too much for one truss you could add a 2x8 or 2x10 across 4 or 5 truss to tie them together and spread the weight.

If you didn't want to tie into the floor truss you could use a cherry picker (engine hoist) with a hydraulic jack. Might cost a little more than a come along but maybe a little safer.

I noticed you were from the nc mtns. I live in Lexington but am in Boone frequently. I had never heard of lansing, had to look it up on Google maps. Best of luck, those hitches are pretty heavy.

Chad
Excellent suggestion about transferring the load to multiple trusses...thanks. Already have the come-along and a 1K# dolly is $20 at Lowes.

Daughter lives in Boone. Headed there tomorrow to help her with remodeling her house. Fortunately, no one else has ever heard of Lansing either.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
I do this except I used a 1-1/2 x 10 foot pipe. Tricky to slip up there, but it divides the weight over several joists. I did the harbor freight electric hoist. Works perfect. It's very useful for alot of other thinks. Hiking up the back of the riding mower to change blades. Maybe I can use this opertunlity to slip in a brag. Maybe I don't need mine anymore. Our 23 yr old son just set 3 state bench press records and a dead lift record in his first US Powerlifting Association meet yesterday in Austin. Men's 242 raw class. 400 somethng on his bench and 500 something on his dead lift. Being his first meet he held back. His personal best for bench is high 500's and high 600's for squat and dead lift. Proud pop? yep. Especially knowing how down and depressed he was just three years ago. Won't nobody be talking about his momma anymore.
Very impressive!!
Old 06-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #8

The dolly I use is the cart from a long since dead pressure washer. It was free.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
How about leaving it on the pin box then removing from there?
Old 06-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitubo View Post
How about leaving it on the pin box then removing from there?
???? How would you get the truck out? Might work for one on rails Then still have to get it 100' to the garage....up hill.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
???? How would you get the truck out? Might work for one on rails Then still have to get it 100' to the garage....up hill.
Release it from the truck, raise the front jacks. Then release it from the trailer, lay it on the truck bed.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post

Chad

Small world. I live in Midway.

To the OP. I think an engine hoist would be the best idea. Then you can remove it even when not in the garage and roll it in the hoist to where you store it. Of course... You could step over to the dark side with an Andersen!
Old 06-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #13

I have seen people leave the hitch on the camper. Just hanging.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #14
RVM141

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
I have seen people leave the hitch on the camper. Just hanging.
This is what I did for 10 years. Hitch was too heavy to remove by hand. Pulled attachments to truck, raised front jacks, drove truck out from under it. I made some short chains with 'S' hooks to hold the back of the hitch level. Never had a problem with this method.

Jake

Retired-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel