Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Light duty trucks

Wow - Ram Hemi, Ford Eco-Boost and 5.0, Chevy 2014. I am thinking of downsizing from a 5er just so I can drive one of these trucks.

For those of you that have one of these trucks tell me about your smile when you step on the gas.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey, I smile every time I mash the throttle on my diesel dually...for a big old gal, she moves.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #3

The half-ton, gas trucks are doing 0 - 60 in way under 7 seconds. Eco-Boost in 6.2, Hemi in 6.7, 5.0 litre in 6.8 according to Car & Driver.

Our cool diesel trucks still take 8 plus seconds. Sure, we could pull 2 or 3 of them backward - but they would kick our butts goin unloaded down the road.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just ask them to race when towing at ratings......shoot, go at 1/2 of the max rating....
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Never have and never will buy a vehicle based on its fuel economy or lack there-of. I buy based on intended use and on personal preference and appeal.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

I swear by the SUPER DUTY FORD
Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Big trailers ...big trucks

little trucks...little trailers.

I know one fellow towing about 8500# with an Ecoboost. It works OK, but 9 mpg on a good day.

Ken
Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #8

Our Ram 1500 Hemi has 168,000 on the odo; we're in Ohio this week, it still pulls great, doesn't burn any oil, and cranks every time. When we are not pulling the trailer, we can "adjust" the computer and still get 22-23 mpg @ 60 mph. The only mods to the truck was upgrading the suspension to 2500 specs, and Firestone Transforce 10 ply truck tires. I also changed all of the brake and rotor hardware to heavier duty, but it is still 1500 brakes vs 2500. When we replace the truck (It's an '04) we will go with another Ram / Hemi.......................22-23 mpg is great for a 6000# truck.

Currently we are in Ohio, did not tow the TT, and it is 749 miles from driveway to driveway............$118.00 for gas one way !!!!!

In all fairness, I have heard that the Eco-Boost is an awesome truck..........but the Ram is one up over the ECo-Boost, because it is paid for !!!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

My EcoBoost is also paid for. Old retired folks soon learn that "car" payments is a no no. If you can't afford to pay cash, you can't afford it.

My last tow vehicle was a '99.5 F-250 diesel. It was almost perfect for towing my 8,000-pound 5er. My current tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost - special ordered for dragging a wet and loaded 5,000-pound TT or 6,000-pound cargo trailer. We haven't drug the cargo trailer very much with the new pickup, but we drug the TT about 5,000 miles this year. The EcoBoost is a dream when towing, and more fun that anyone should be allowed to have when unloaded. I'm tickled pink with everything but MPG. I drive "hard", and mine gets about 17 unloaded and 10 towing. I expected about 2 more MPG for both towing and unloaded, but then with my lead foot my pickups never get close to the MPG others claim.

Granted, when I poke along at 55 MPH unloaded, per the built-in computer display mine gets over 20 MPG. But life is too short to be a poke-along.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Smiles every time we go up the WV hills to our house. Towing the TT or the boat is great. Wished we had bought the hemi sooner - much happier than with the previous Ram without it.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #11

As I tell my grandsons If it isn't a diesel truck then it's not a truck.
You have to have a diesel truck to know how nice they are. So stable and just fun to drive. Everything is so much heavier duty than the little 1/2 tons. I have 92,000 miles on my duramax and have the original brakes. The shop szs they are only 30% used. As you can tell, I will always have a diesel truck as long as I am on this planet)
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #12

Every vehicle is great when used for its intended purpose within its specified ratings. No matter what one does to "improve" a 1/2T pickup it will always be a 1/2T pickup.
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Every vehicle is great when used for its intended purpose within its specified ratings. No matter what one does to "improve" a 1/2T pickup it will always be a 1/2T pickup.
I understand your premise; it is still rated as a 1500. However, with the spring upgrades and brake upgrades, it is a SAFER 1500 under towing conditions. My purpose for the upgrade was NOT to increase capacity ratings, it was to enhance the handling and stopping parameters. I still stay 13-15% below ratings for towing. And I NEVER tow over 60 MPH. I make lots of efforts to stay out of the way of faster traffic; even stopping sometimes take a break during peak traffic times. ALL of my upgrades cost slightly over $1200 (I did the installation myself), and versus the cost of a new upgraded truck ($35,000 to $50,000) it was a no-brainer. We are planning a refurbishment next year on the truck.........a NEW engine and transmission will run us about $15,000 installed; along with $2000 to rebuild the rear end..............$17K sounds like a lot to put in an '04, but a new 2500 with the hemi would cost us around $30,000 initial cost AND interest on the loan. And we are way past having to have the latest and greatest!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I had the 'opportunity' to lead my elder bro-in-law thru dfw area right before Christmas to show him the best way since he's not from here....

even though he is an experienced MH owner, given his brand new MH and TOAD, he likes to crawl everywhere....

So, I crawled too, and got GREAT MPG, but also was a nervous wreck, even to the point of putting my flashers on a few times while crawling along
(My sister usually ends of driving !!!)

Knowing that I usually say we'll meet you at the rest area, like here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00005-20121008-1133.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	31214