Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #1

Listen to the salesman....

Spent the day at the RV Show and overheard a guy talking to the salesman about upgrading to a bigger TT. He was trying to go from a 30 footer to a 34 bunkhouse. Sales guy asked him about his tow vehicle.... He had a Ty-ota Tundra... Salesman thumbed through his tech sheets sheepishly telling him, yeah, it'll probably handle it....

Really??? I'd think the Yota would already be swamped with the 30 footer, and he's wanting to go bigger?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #2

These dealers should be held accountable for their line of baloney. Don't they realize they are putting people's lives in danger? I'm surprised he didn't suggest he downsize to a Tacoma for improved mileage.
Let's hope the customer was smarter than this guy!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Depends on what year, but Tundras are rated to tow 10,000lbs with a GVWR of 7,000lbs.

Depending on the specs it very well could have been fine. With the limited info given it's quite possible to be well under spec. The Flagstaff Classic Superlight comes in 34'9", GROSS WEIGHT of 8650lbs.

Flagstaff Classic Super Lite Fifth Wheels / Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Really need more info before passing judgment.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:59 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you ask a salesman "Can my truck tow this" the standard answer is "NO PROBLEM,, NO PROBLEM"

What you should ask yourself is this: To a salesman, what IS a problem?

And I can answer that.

The sight of your backside going out the door without first putting a signature on the dotted line.. That is the ONLY problem to a salesman, Everything else is "No Problem".

Why: Because if there is no signature on the dotted line.. There is no commission in the pay envelope.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #5

BUt you gotta remember, when the SPace Shuttle needed to be towed thru down town Los Angles, what did they pick..... Yota!!
Old 01-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
Depends on what year, but Tundras are rated to tow 10,000lbs with a GVWR of 7,000lbs.

Depending on the specs it very well could have been fine. With the limited info given it's quite possible to be well under spec. The Flagstaff Classic Superlight comes in 34'9", GROSS WEIGHT of 8650lbs.

Flagstaff Classic Super Lite Fifth Wheels / Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Really need more info before passing judgment.
Yeah good point...IMO posts like this or a picture about look what I saw without any actual weight numbers accomplish nothing.
But I guess some folks enjoy bashing the salesman threads. I know I do.....just reading the really silly comments that has been posted many many times before.

Now if the OP wants to give the forum some actual weight numbers from that trailer and a Tundra's real world numbers then the tread may accomplish something of value.....other than just another bash the 1/2 ton truck thread that really gets boring on this forum.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #7

Well if you look up the specs on the 2014 Tundra, the max payload is 1915 and if the said trailer was a 5th wheel then at 22% pin weight he is at 1903lbs so adding a suit case pretty much overloads him. Ya he could get by I'm sure with adding helper springs or air bags and if he's strategic with his loading of supplies then yes I believe he has enough truck.
Now if said trailer is a TT then he should have absolutely no issues towing with the proper WDH and sway control because that is one long trailer and the shorter wheelbase of the CC/SB Tundra won't necessarily be best option but it can be done with the proper set up.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
BUt you gotta remember, when the SPace Shuttle needed to be towed thru down town Los Angles, what did they pick..... Yota!!
I know you're really kidding about that. That was photo-opp given to Toyota for their $$$$$$$ support of the Space and Science Museum.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I have to wonder here..........A person, that owns a truck(Or anything).......asking a "Sales man" what the truck can tow????My GOD! I would say he got the answer he needed!
No one in today's world of the internet, let alone the manual in the glove box.........should have to ask anyone their vehicle's limitation's, Especially before buying, already owning, or up grading. JMO
Old 01-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #10

I don't like (myself) playing the victim, not to say anyone here is claiming that status. However, the phrase buyer beware is operable. Putting any competency hat on the salesman seems unreasonable. Just remember that when you ask for this kind of advice, without your confirming that he is a competent RV technician, you get what you paid for...you are getting advice from a salesman whose background you have not checked out.

And, there are plenty of rvers that will argue to death that weight "ratings" are meaningless, so there is that as well. Not my argument as if there is an accident you have to deal with insurance, criminal negligence, etc.

But, I think that many experienced rvers would know that if they are buying their 2nd trailer, they "probably" should know they, themselves, are responsible for determining if their package is adequate, and that includes more than the towing vehicle. And they should be able to make that determination as well by now.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
Well if you look up the specs on the 2014 Tundra, the max payload is 1915 and if the said trailer was a 5th wheel then at 22% pin weight he is at 1903lbs so adding a suit case pretty much overloads him. Ya he could get by I'm sure with adding helper springs or air bags and if he's strategic with his loading of supplies then yes I believe he has enough truck.
Now if said trailer is a TT then he should have absolutely no issues towing with the proper WDH and sway control because that is one long trailer and the shorter wheelbase of the CC/SB Tundra won't necessarily be best option but it can be done with the proper set up.
Of course you failed to mention that the Tundra comes in many different flavors with many different specifications. Since we have absolutely no idea what Tundra the OP mentioned, there is absolutely no way anyone can make any kind of statement whether or not the said Tundra was up to the task. Period.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Of course you failed to mention that the Tundra comes in many different flavors with many different specifications. Since we have absolutely no idea what Tundra the OP mentioned, there is absolutely no way anyone can make any kind of statement whether or not the said Tundra was up to the task. Period.

Ron
The specs I was quoting were for a 2wd long bed 5.7 V8. Doubtful that the OP has that particular truck. The CC/SB is around 1500lb payload.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #13

I was pleasantly surprised when I tested the salemen at Lazy Days Tampa and Nokomis RV World (and I already knew the answer) about pulling a larger FW with my 2004 F150. Both got it right and suggested a 250 and 350 to pull the FWs I was looking at. So, I know at least two salesmen who won't lie about tow vehicles to make a sale.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #14

Just a last thought. Because someone gives you the wrong information, it doesn't follow they were lying to you or purposely misleading you. And unfortunately, it is a bit too convenient to stomp on the salesman who isn't present to reply, nor the person who he was helping to get his response. Listening, even accidentally I assume, to a conversation others are having is a pretty good way to hear only part of the conversation. I have no dog in this hunt, but...feels somewhat too convenient.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale