Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #1

Well, I've seen sidewall bubbles in the OEM Load Range D Marathons that came on the trailer with 6000lb axles rated at 3000lbs @ 65psi for the last time.

I gave one back to the Goodyear dealer down here last week when I got back from Virginia after 2 months on the wrong side of I-10 in Feb and March.

I asked about the E Marathons. He found them and I put 4 on. MADE IN CHINA. Rated 3040lbs at 80psi. I don't know if I did the right thing or not. But, its a new tire and Goodyear does take care of damages most of the time, caused by blowouts.

Only time will tell. I saw them on the Goodyear web site in February.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #2

Well, I've seen sidewall bubbles in the OEM Load Range D Marathons that came on the trailer with 6000lb axles rated at 3000lbs @ 65psi for the last time.

I gave one back to the Goodyear dealer down here last week when I got back from Virginia after 2 months on the wrong side of I-10 in Feb and March.

I asked about the E Marathons. He found them and I put 4 on. MADE IN CHINA. Rated 3040lbs at 80psi. I don't know if I did the right thing or not. But, its a new tire and Goodyear does take care of damages most of the time, caused by blowouts.

Only time will tell. I saw them on the Goodyear web site in February.

Dave
Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 AM   #3

what pis are your wheels ? 65 may not be good
autojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #4

Sorry; I don't understand your question?

Dave
Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Dave,

I think he's asking what the pressure (psi) rating is on your wheels, his point being that the wheel's pressure and load rating needs to be at least as high as the tire's ratings if you're going to take advantage of the ability to run the E-rated Marathons at 80 psig. In other words, bad karma to run a tire at 80 psig on a 65 psig rated wheel.

Of course, you could always run the new Marathons at 65 psig if you had to.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
CD

Dave
To expand on Rusty's post, the wheel should have a number stamped somewhere that gives the max pressure the wheel is rated for. Also if the tire dealer is worth his salt he would check for that.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Goodyear Wrangler came on our fiver. I had one to split and the replacement got a bubble on the sidewall. Two of them blew out and one of them I had just checked the air pressure 50 miles before it went. The Goodyear dealer told me I had run it with low air pressure causing the blowout and wanter almost $200 for a new tire. I told him no way and got a Uniroyal for a spare for around $150. When I got home I got a new set of Michliens Ribs XPS for $960 and had no problems since been from Maine to Florida and now in Texas. I like them so much I got a set for the truck. O yea I don't think the Goodyears I had were made in China.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #8

I checked the rims and they make the grade. I'm going to runing about 75psi in the tires to match the percentage of the load on the tires. I'm never close to max, well to refrase that. I would not load the trailer more than I thought was necessary because of the Load Range D Marathons. Had a little over 10000 miles on them.

The tire I wanted to put on was the XPS Rib, which is the best thing out there, but since Goodyear was paying for one, I tried the E's. Price was about 147/tire. When I ready to hit the road for extended periods I will go to the
XPS in the 245x75x16 size since they are the same diameter as what I currently have. If I put the Ribs on now they would dry rot before I really go to use them.

Dave
Old 04-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
On our previous Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS I changed out the OEM LT235/85R-16E Goodyear Wrangler HT tires to the same size Michelin XPS Ribs. I couldn't believe how much cooler the XPS Ribs ran - even pulling off the Interstate in the middle of summer, I could put the palm of my hand right on the tread. By contrast, I could feel the heat radiating off of the Wranglers when I would walk up to them.

I never had a problem or worry with the XPS Ribs. In fact, I liked them so much that I'm running them on the truck. I only wish Michelin made them in a Load Range G so that I could use them on our current 5th wheel.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:46 AM   #10

Bought a set (5) Marthons - size 225/15 in January of 2008. Mounted them and stored them in the garage until April, first nice day I went to put them on and found one of them had a large blister in the side wall - - - Thanks Mr. Goodyear, these were also MADE IN CHINA. I thought I was replacing the OEM China junk that were less than a year old and showed side wall splits, and just got more of the same crap!

Denny

'06 Dodge 2500 Megacab Diesel 4x4
Denny Day is offline   Reply With Quote