Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #1

Loading of Indian Motorcycle into F350

Fairly new to forum and not sure if this is right place to ask this but looking to buy an Indian Motorcycle next year and weighs around 1300lbs. Question is will the rear truck door support that type of weight when loading it onto a truck. I am looking to buy an F350 in 2017 for future TT towing and wanted to be sure I have enough truck for both the haul weight as well as Tow weight. Any help appreciated.
billyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #2

Been loading my Harley for years in my truck no problems. My Harley weighs around 800. Can't imagine your Chief weighing that much more.....but still don't think you'll have any problem
Old 12-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi billyf,
I have loaded my Harley trike in the back of my 2004 f250 and it weighs about 1100lbs. and have not had any issues.Good Luck and Safe Travels.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyf View Post
Fairly new to forum and not sure if this is right place to ask this but looking to buy an Indian Motorcycle next year and weighs around 1300lbs. Question is will the rear truck door support that type of weight when loading it onto a truck. I am looking to buy an F350 in 2017 for future TT towing and wanted to be sure I have enough truck for both the haul weight as well as Tow weight. Any help appreciated.
billyf,
Well Sir, a couple of items here. 1, You mention that Indian weighing around 1,300 lbs. That sure seems to be an awful lot to me. I'm not schooled on those bikes but, my 2008 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing hovers real close to 900 lbs. plus or minus a few. And, most Harleys hover real close to the same, based on their equipment. But 1,300 lbs, wow, that's quite a bit. Not saying it doesn't weigh that much, just aren't aware of it.

2nd, you also mention the rear truck "door" too. Just exactly what do you mean by that? I kind-a assume you might be talking about the tail gate of the bed. If so, I'm also not sure of how you plan on loading this 1,300 lb. bike. The bed will definitely hold and tolerate that kind of weight, without a doubt. But, all that weight and, maybe even a human or two trying to balance it while it's being loaded on whatever kind of ramps etc.ON THE TAIL GATE, well, you're looking at a potential amount of weight on that tail gate of close to 1,900 lbs., based on your procedure and plans. They're making todays trucks tougher but, not that tough.

But, if the tail gate is removed for loading, which normally on the last 30+ years of all brand/make/models of pickups, takes a whopping 20-30 seconds to remove it, then the edge of that bed can surely take that kind of weight.

But, you also don't say what kind of TT you're planning on pursuing. I'm kind-a assuming also that it will most likely be a bumper tow, correct? Especially since you plan on hauling the bike in the bed, duh!!

If you get a long bed F-350, you can do what we do and that's purchase a Rampage M/C lift/carrier and make life real easy. All I do is push a button and that 900 lb. Goldwing cruises up and into that bed of ours, all by itself and, I'm not lifting a finger. But, we have a 6.5' bed so, our Wing and that lift sticks out the back a foot or more passed the edge of the bed. So, we couldn't tow if we wanted to. But on a long bed, a lift like that and, the tail section of your Indian shouldn't really protrude past the end of the bed. If it does, it won't be but a few inches.

So, adding the weight of a potential lift, (the Rampage hovers around 300 or so) and, your "1,300 lb. Indian, you'll have about 1,600 lbs sitting in the bed of that that F-350 which, is probably around 1/2 or less of it's payload.

But, that's surely something to think about. If you're planning on loading that kind of weight with some make-shift ramp, I don't even want to be in the same zip code. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I doubt a F350 would have any problem...and will ride really well with a load on the rear suspension. Add a really heavy trailer on the hook with the bike and you'd probably want to use a weight distribution hitch...easy do do.

The challenge will be loading/unloading into the pick-up's bed.
Without a lift device like mentioned above, the bike would need some big heavy ramps for the bike tires AND the riders feet for balance (if riding it for loading). And the ramp angle will be a major factor in ramp selection to avoid bottoming out the bike on loading

Here's how NOT to load a bike in a pick-up...

Here's how to do it right...but still scary

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:36 AM   #6

All tks for info I checked weight again and had given the GVWR which is around 1300 lbs
Bike weighs around 938 lbs with fuel. Happy holidays
Old 12-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyf View Post
All tks for info I checked weight again and had given the GVWR which is around 1300 lbs
Bike weighs around 938 lbs with fuel. Happy holidays
billyf
If you will be using a ramp to load a 938 lb bike I suggest you first remove the tailgate and rest the truck end of the ramp on the rear of the pickup bed.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #8

been riding harleys all my adult life. loaded them in some not so friendly manners.

you mention a travel trailer...do you already own? or are getting? If getting...get a toyhauler. and how often do you plan to load said creature?

Getting a 1klb machine in the bed of the truck is easy...getting it back out is where it can get un fun real quick.

I vote no truck bed for heavy bike for more than 1 or 2 events a year.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #9

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Perhaps not exactly relevant, since my experience is with lighter bikes (Ducatis, BMWs,etc) in an F-150. Over the years I did manage to slightly warp the tailgate, but not really noticeable unless you were looking for it. I think the idea suggested above to remove the tailgate is best for such a mega-bike as your Indian. I always rode my bikes up the ramp, so my 250 lbs added to the problem...lol.

Best of luck!
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #10

There's no way I'd put a large and heavy road bike in any pickup truck bed. I could see that bike falling over on me.

But a utility trailer is a different animal, and they haul cycles well and load easily.

As far as a RV, get a toyhauler. They have garages as large as 11-12', and a very long tailgate that allows cycles to be loaded easily and safely. Winches and tie down straps are available, too. They also make some travel trailer toyhaulers, but most are fifth wheels.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were in a KOA and as I was outside storing stuff in the morning I heard a very loud crashing and banging. Then some loud moaning started and about six of us guys showed up at a site near me where a guy was loading his big motorcycle in the back of a pickup truck. It took four guys to get him out from underneath it and they took him to the hospital.

So be careful...
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #12

What do dogs and Harleys have in common?

They both like to ride in the back of trucks.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'd check the length of the bike and see if it would require the tailgate to be left down for it to get on the truck. You will have very limited towing ability if the tailgate is down when you attach the trailer.

If so, think toy-hauler to take the bike with you when you RV travel, or find another solution.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
There's no way I'd put a large and heavy road bike in any pickup truck bed. I could see that bike falling over on me.

But a utility trailer is a different animal, and they haul cycles well and load easily.

As far as a RV, get a toyhauler. They have garages as large as 11-12', and a very long tailgate that allows cycles to be loaded easily and safely. Winches and tie down straps are available, too. They also make some travel trailer toyhaulers, but most are fifth wheels.
Well
Everyone's got opinions. We've hauled our Wing on the back of our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT for many thousand miles and, it NEVER FELL OVER. Now, we haul it in the back of our '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with a 6.5' bed and it's NEVER FELL OVER YET! Common sense and, the right application of multiple tie downs is the name of the game.

And if one chooses to load ANY large road bike, i.e. full dress Harley, Goldwing, Indian and many others into the back of a truck WITHOUT THE USE OF A LIFT , or, using cheesy ramps etc. just because they want to be a "Man" about it, well, have at it. I prefer to be able to walk, breath, RIDE, enjoy life and much, much more 'cause I didn't cheapen out and try to load a 900 lb. motorcycle in the back of our truck, on RAMPS.

You can find loaders, i.e. Rampage and a few others, used on Craigslist and ebay if you're looking. Our Rampage new is just over $3,000. We picked it up used (and used twice I might add) for a mere $1,500. As stated earlier, I just push a button and that 900 lb. Goldwing cruises right up and into the back of our truck, all by itself while I stay firmly on the ground.

A couple of extra tie downs applied after the bike is in the truck bed and, it's safe to go from one end of the U.S. to the other like that.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote