Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-11-2003, 07:49 AM   #15
Had a short bed, won't do it again. Just one more thing to think about in tight quarters.

2000 F250 4x4 6spd PSD 3.73 Western Diesel Chip, Guages & Ram-Air.
My Truck 101,530 Miles. My Campground Southeast Diesel rally North Florida Dealer for Western Diesel Performance, Ultra Hitch goosneck adapters American fuel/tool tanks and Jordan Brake Controllers.

05 Ford Expedition 5.4 gasser.

Got rid of my junk 03 6.0 diesel!!!!!!
mjstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2003, 08:42 AM   #16
I have a LB, and perfer it as I have a crossbox toolbox that sit on the floor and carry lots of stuff. I wouldn't be with out dual fuel tanks either.

Happy Trails GB

Ford F-350 Dually
Hitchhiker II

Happy Trails GB

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:59 AM   #17
I have an F250 - 2002 - Lariat - crew cab short box. I pull a 2001 2955 Montana. I have absolutely NO problems with turning. I installed a slider hitch just in case I would but have never used it. My 5th has nicely rounded corners up front and it has an extended pinbox. I can tow with my tailgate down! Surprises a lot of people.
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 04:41 PM   #18
I, like everyone else, like what I drive. I have a F350 CC Short Bed with a Pulliam Super Glide hitch. It is an automatic slider and moves the pin back 18 inches in a 90 degree turn. One big advantage is that I can make a u-turn, with the trailer on a normal 4 lane street. Long beds don't even come close, and 450/550's are comical trying to follow me and turn like I can. Hitch is expensive, but truck and trailer repairs are also expensive. They now have a small model for up to 16K and the large model (Mine) up to 24K. Get whatever you want. you will enjoy either one but I sure like my turning ability.

Bob in Dallas
99.5 F350 CC PSD SB SRW, known as T-Red.
2000 Avion 37-5W 5th Wheel
Bob in Dallas
1994 Foretravel U280 36'
Bob in Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 05:44 PM   #19
I just want to thank eveyone for the advice and opinions. To someone inexperienced in towing a 5ver, and who has to drive the tow vehicle everyday, all your opinions count. I really appreciate the effort taken to reply.
2 kids, 2 dogs, a wife, a boat, big truck, & a big camper; what's so confusing?

01 F350 CC LB DRW 7.3 PSD
burt013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 09:42 AM   #20
I tow with a short bed and like it just fine, except for occasionally having to use the slider hitch, which is not much of an inconvenience. If you have an extended pin on your fiver you might not even need a slider. If I were buying another truck, towing would not be a factor for me when considering bed length as both work fine. My decision would be based on how large a bed I needed and other non towing requirements, such as maneuverability and parking.
Wilber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #21
we have just got a new jayco series1500 does anyone have one of these?? we have a 99 chevy extended cab v8 short wheel base do you think we will have any problems?we are putting in a slider hitch thanks
purplehaze71676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #22
Long bed, crew cab all the way.
The more wheel base you have, the better the towing is.
Also with the long bed, you can turn however you want and not worry about hitting the cab.
2006 F350 Tow Boss pulling a 2006 LE3905 Weekend Warrior. Inside Warrior: LS1 Powered LT 5 seater. Go baby Go!!!
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #23

Read recently in a forum, can't remember where, the trouble this fellow had manuvering around the campgrounds in some state parks. Concensues was the short bed can make your life easier. A suggestion is see if there is a web sight dedicated to your make of vehicle. http://www.ford-trucks.com/ is mine and between these 2 sites the info available covers just about everything.
13 Limited 34 IKE
vblarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #24
My last two trucks were CC short boxes. My present truck is a CC LB. Bigger tank, longer WB, and no need to buy an expensive auto slider hitch because face it, when you need the hitch to slide, the manual slider might not be convenient to use.
I hope I never own another SB truck.

2008 Silverado LTZ 3500 dually D/A
2006 Montana 2955RL Fifth Wheel
Diesel Don is offline   Reply With Quote