Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2003, 03:15 PM   #1

We're looking at upgrading to a 29-32 ft 5th wheeler within the next year. Part of the upgrade is getting an acceptable tow vehicle as well. So far I've decided on a recent model F-350 Crew Cab with the 7.3 PSD. My question is can I get by with a short bed to pull a 5th wheeler? I understand the SB will limit my turn radius while towing, but by how much? Any insight and advice is appreciated!
Thanks
Brent

01 F350 CC LB DRW 7.3 PSD
burt013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2003, 03:15 PM   #2

We're looking at upgrading to a 29-32 ft 5th wheeler within the next year. Part of the upgrade is getting an acceptable tow vehicle as well. So far I've decided on a recent model F-350 Crew Cab with the 7.3 PSD. My question is can I get by with a short bed to pull a 5th wheeler? I understand the SB will limit my turn radius while towing, but by how much? Any insight and advice is appreciated!
Thanks
Brent

Old 05-08-2003, 03:34 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Brent

First, let me say Welcome to iRV2.com. We hope you enjoy your times here.

If the trailer you get has an extended pin you shouldn't have too much trouble. I had a Ford PSD SB and my trailer had a 12" extended pin. I did have a Reese 15K slider hitch. I could get closs to 90 degrees without sliding my hitch. However, I did get too close once and punched out the rear window. Also had a dent in the driver side just next to the window from the trailer. These incidents were both backing up. Never got close going forward.

I learned that even if I didn't need to slide the hitch, I would slide it anyway. One less thing to worry about. Since your spending money on a hitch anyway, spend the few extra bucks and get the slider hitch. If the trailer you get does not have an extended pin, you probably will need the slider hitch.

Have fun. Enjoy.

--------------------

<font color=rosybrown>2002 Kountry Star FW-30RKCL</font> by Newmar pulled by a <font color=slategray>2002 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison </font>

<font color=brown> 88 </font> * Robert Yates Racing * <font color=blue> 38 </font>
Ken Schrader - <font color=blue> 49 </font>
Greg Biffle - <font color=red> 16 </font> 2003 WCS Rookie
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 PM   #4

I think we all seem to promote what we own and that's great because it shows we are comfortable and proud of the choices we made to the quandary in question. That being said, I have to say that I am very happy with my 8 foot bed.

On the positive side, needing a sliding hitch is no longer in the equation. The ability to haul stuff is increased. And best of all, I think that the extra wheelbase lenght has to have some positive affect on overall stability stability.

Of course there is a negative side as well. Mainly that you need a large area to make a u-turn (especially with my crew cab in addition to the long bed). You also lock yourself out of quit a few parking places (although on the positive side it is fun being creative in just fitting it into ubelievably small places).

I think that you can make either a short bed or long bed work to your advantage. THink the main thing is to pay atention to the weight of the trailer and make sure that it doesn't exceed the weight capacities of the truck. I paid a lot of attention to that when I bought my truck and trailer a year ago. And it is paying off as my truck and trailer combo are extremely stable going down the road. It just feels good to drive a unit that isn't on the edge of being unsafe.

Craig

'01 Chevy K3500 Dually 8.1 Allison 4x4 4:10 CC Towing a '02 Montana 3655FL 5th Wheel
http://users.erols.com/jcmccarter/index.html

'01 Chevy K3500 Dually 8.1 Allison 4x4 4:10 CC Towing a '02 Montana 3655FL 5th Wheel

https://users.erols.com/jcmccarter/index.html
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:16 PM   #5

As has been stated... everyone's got a different opinion.. For my two cent, I would never buy another short bed.. I learned my lesson many years ago..

I'll pull a wheel barrow with a Gremlin before I'll get another short bed truck...

But that's just my opinion

John

Got rid of the wife, the mortgage and the dawg ... Free at last, thank the Lawd, I is free at last !!!
I kinda miss the dawg tho ..
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:35 PM   #6

Here's a link to a drawing that I made that shows the effects of bed length, pin length, and sliding hitch on turning radius. I've had a LB and SB, and prefer the LB. It sure is nice when you have stuff to move. The minus side of the LB is that it won't fit in some garages. Driving it and parking it arn't that much of a problem. Good luck and do lots of research.

http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/short-5er-towing.pdf

Ken Lenger
Dodge 2001.9 2500 QC 4X4 LWB SLT HO 6 Speed, 4.10 LSD. Jordan Brake Controller, Jacobs E-Brake.
Artic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel, RV Modifications, & Other RV Topics RV Solar Electric System
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights, an exercise in reality
irv2.com brochure & newsletters download.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 02:27 AM   #7

I prefer long beds because they come with a larger fuel tank, don't need the slider hitch, and can put more stuff (dog kennells, fire wood, tools, and a gas can for gen set) in the bed of the truck.
Short bed Crew Cabs look good lifted with nice tires, but where can you tow your 9000 lbs. trailer with a 26-28 gal tank. Just my 2 cents.

2000 wanderer 315 fifth wheel
2001 F350 CC PSD SRW 4X4
Honda EU 2000
Honda XR 400 camp bike
Photos
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 08:23 AM   #8

Wow, this is pretty neat, posting a question and getting this kind of response within 12 hours. Thanks! One thing is obvious, I need to do more research on hitches and towing a 5th wheeler.

It is nice to know that if I find a deal to good to pass-up on a short bed, there are still options that allow pulling a 5th safely. One thing I've already come to grips with is that I won't be parking a DRW in my garage, so the extra length from a LB won't matter there. Anyway, I really appreciate the replies, the advice, and the drawing (thanks Ken!).
Thanks!
Brent

Old 05-09-2003, 04:02 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
I agree with one common thread here. Now that I have a longbed, I'll never get a shortbed again.

--------------------

<font color=rosybrown>2002 Kountry Star FW-30RKCL</font> by Newmar pulled by a <font color=slategray>2002 GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison </font>

<font color=brown> 88 </font> * Robert Yates Racing * <font color=blue> 38 </font>
Ken Schrader - <font color=blue> 49 </font>
Greg Biffle - <font color=red> 16 </font> 2003 WCS Rookie
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 05:44 PM   #10

Long bed is the best way to go in my opinion, and of course a good rocker hitch makes hooking up on uneven ground a lot easier.

Derek and Audi
PT Hauler of RV's
2002 Dodge 3500
HO CTD 6 Spd
1999 34'RLCK American Star 5er
5th wheel-Gooseneck-Bumper

PT Hauler of RV's
Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:02 AM   #11

I've got a long bed, and also a tool box mounted across the front. Would getting a sliding hitch make sense for me?

Quadzilla
'95 F-350XLT Crew Cab SRW 4X4 PSD, 35X12.50X16.5's, Limited slip 4.10's, Hypermax downpipe, gutted EBPV, "Catless" in Seattle, "Renegade" 4" exhaust system, CTFD sticker, Air bags on all four corners, TYMAR intake, shimmed fpr, Diablo Delta chip, Fumoto valve, Autometer pyrometer, Sonnax valve, Tricumulator springs, Tru-Cool, HX mod, Magnefine tranny filter, 4R100 pan, Red Line synthetic in transfer case and both diffs, reverse shackle kit,
big 'ol grin on driver's face, and a wish list that gets longer every day.
(Thank God for a wife that likes big trucks.)
Pictures
Quadzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:44 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quadzilla:
I've got a long bed, and also a tool box mounted across the front. Would getting a sliding hitch make sense for me?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If it's an "over the rails" toolbox, a sliding hitch might well be a good idea. With our long bed and a Weatherguard 5ver box (sits on the floor with the top flush with the rails), we have no problem without a sliding hitch.

Rusty

----------------------
Tower - 2002 Dodge 3500 Cummins HO/6 speed/4.10LS SLT+ QC LB dually
Towee - 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS 36' triple slide 5ver
Travel Companions - Our two Shelties, Brittany and the Bandit!
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 05:07 AM   #13

I have a long bed and a tool box also. I have a sliding hitch, but only because my previous truck was a SB. I never use the slider now, and it's heavier than a standard hitch. Someday I amy swap out the part that mounts to the rails for a standard type.

Ken Lenger
Dodge 2001.9 2500 QC 4X4 LWB SLT HO 6 Speed, 4.10 LSD. Jordan Brake Controller, Jacobs E-Brake.
Artic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel, RV Modifications, & Other RV Topics RV Solar Electric System
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights, an exercise in reality
irv2.com brochure & newsletters download.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 07:34 AM   #14

I'm on my second short bed. Will never go back to the long one. Don't think I need it for pulling. 5er has a 12" extended pin box.
Yes, I do have a slider but only have used it 2-3 times and then only for added comfort. I will agree that the long beds are made for pulling but I like the crew cab and that would make my truck so long it would take a city block to turn it.
I have a over the rail tool box that only sitcks up about 3" at the front and 1.5" at the back of it and is not a problem. Never have hit it.
The negative for the short box is it gets a little hairy in some of the older parks where it is tight but nothing I can't handle.
Jim

2001 Sportsman Fifth Wheel 2456; 2001 Ford F250, Crew Cab, 7.3 Diesel.

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote