Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Long Bed Vs Short Bed

Hi all. I'm looking for some input from fellow towes. I'm upgrading my tow vehicle from a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab to a 2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab with a 30000+ lb. tow package The SB is approx 10" shorter but I think it would handle better in tight places. The LB is approx 10" longer but should ride better. I'm leaning towards the LB but since the truck has to be ordered I want it right. I figure ask a fellow rver to may already ben thru this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For me, all 5er towing should be dome with a long bed. No worries about the hitch or putting a goonie in the corner of the truck.

Ken

Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

long bed-short bed

Second that. Long bed you have room for a box or fuel tank in the bed. No slider hitch to deal with and bend tail gate and no dings in cab corners. No brainer for me. The extra walk from the back of the parking lot is good for you.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

IMO its a personnel choice depending on what YOU want or YOU need.

I have two short bed trucks and one long bed truck. They both work for all my GN/5th wheel and bumper pull trailers. However both short bed sit in the garage and the crew cab long bed DRW sits outside in the tractor shed.

If you choose the short bed truck you may need a sliding hitch depending on the trailers front corner profile. Some on the newer 5ers come with a radius/notched corner for cab clearance.

Also some of the new 5th wheel hitches like the Sidewinder from Reese eliminates the need of a sliding hitch.

Choose the one you like best.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I've always towed 5th wheels with a long bed truck. I don't need the worry, hassle or expense that comes with short bed trucks and sliding hitches, cab repairs, etc.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think bed length is a problem when towing a 5er, provided you have the right hitch to match the bed length. With an 8' bed, just any ole 5er hitch will work. With a 6.5' bed, you need either a slider hitch or an extended pinbox, preferably one that's fully automatic. Such as the Pullrite Superglide 5er hitch and the Reese Sidewinder. With a 5.5' bed, you might need both.

PullRite has a SAFER, STRONGER, BETTER designed hitch for you

Pin Boxes - Reese

Without the trailer, then the shorter the bed the more likely you can close the garage door on the truck. I prefer an 8' bed in a CrewCab, so when I designed my house back in 1995 I made the garage 24' deep to accommodate a 22' foot long CrewCab longbed pickup. Worked great. But most of you have a garage only 20' deep, so any pickup longer than 20' tip to tail and you cannot close the garage door with the pickup inside.

Yes, the longer the bed (and wheelbase), the better the unloaded ride, but the harder it is to make a 90 turn into a parking space, or to make a U-turn on a narrow road. For me, the compromise is to get the longer bed and put up with the parking and turning problems.

I used my '99.5 F-250 CrewCab longbed for over 11 years towing a 5er all over the "lower 48" and southern Canada. When I "downsized" to a 2012 F-150, a CrewCab longbed was not offered, so I got the 6.5' bed. I also downsized from a 25' 5er to a 20' TT, so I don't pull a 5er with the new shorty pickup. I worry about which weight-distributing hitch and not which 5er hitch to go with.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #7

Both trucks will work. I pulled a fifth wheel with a 2003 Ram 3/4ton short bed CTD CC 4x4. I now pull the same fifth wheel with a 2012 long bed DRW CTD CC 4x4. As far as towing a fifth wheel the long bed DRW is the hands down winner. A short bed would be ok for bumper pulls.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #8

I have a hard time believing the difference is only 10". I thought a short bed was 6.5' and a long bed was 8'. That makes for an 18" difference.
Either way, one thing you may not have thought about is the long bed will likely have a larger fuel tank.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4UPL View Post
I have a hard time believing the difference is only 10". I thought a short bed was 6.5' and a long bed was 8'. That makes for an 18" difference.
Either way, one thing you may not have thought about is the long bed will likely have a larger fuel tank.
In a dodge its only 1 gallon difference. 34 on a short bed and 35 on long.
Chad
Old 03-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Put me in the long bed camp, I never have enough room to carry everything I want to take in the long bed, if I was using a short bed I'd really be in trouble. With the increase in ratings of the new trucks you should get the long bed just so you can take advantage of all that capacity. Between the extra fuel tank, hitch, and extra box for everything else I don't have any bed left now, and that's with a long bed. Not to mention the trailer storage is full too, my wife is still looking for more room!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have a short bed Mega cab... The maga cab or 4 door cabs even with the short beds are simular in tow functionality as long beds.. the overall wheel base is what mattes/
Old 03-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Actually, the bed length matters a lot when it comes to trailer-to-cab clearance.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The mega cab is the shortest of the short beda. I have an extended Demco pin box and a slider hitch.. I use the slider 25% of the time
Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
The mega cab is the shortest of the short beda. I have an extended Demco pin box and a slider hitch.. I use the slider 25% of the time
The mega cab bed is actually the same bed as any other short bed dodge. It is actually 6'4" versus the chevy at 6'6", not sure bout a ferd.
Chad