Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
The dually long beds aren't that bad in parking lots. They stick out a little further, but they do fit. Wherever practical, I back into a spot as it is easier to pull forward out of a spot.

I lean in the Ford direction and have had a few. If you have any uneasy feelings about weights, the F-450 is rated for 24,000 trailer. Not too many out there gonna over load that. And the F-450 is the same dimensional size as the F-350/3500 dually. But I did own a 2002 GMC 3500 and it is a great truck.
I was leaning GMC due to their fuel economy being rated 5 mpg better than the nearest competitor. Over the years that will make a huge difference. I used to have a Dodge 3500 crew long bed. In rural areas I'm not worried about parking... But try to get a ton dually into a downtown Chicago parking deck. It's a new branch of extreme sport even getting to downtown. If an F450 appeared at a good price, I would LOVE to get one. They don't seem to be very common used.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts.

Thorfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyTalk View Post
From that 1700 lbs you have to subtract 200lbs for the hitch, 200lbs for fuel, extra 200lbs for passengers (2 175 lbs adults - the built in 150lbs). Then I'd subtract an additional 500 lbs for accessories of the truck such as power seats, power windows, leather, upgraded stereo, etc. So now as a very basic load you have 1700 - 1100 = 600lbs to spare. throw in a 100 lbs for a generator/fuel, another 100 lbs for tools, chocks, cooler, etc. and you are now down 400 lbs. Pile in a couple more adults and you will be over the CC of the truck.
The weight was package adjusted for the truck with 5th installed, and all of the gear will be stowed in the 5er, included in the max trailer weight.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorfinn View Post
I was leaning GMC due to their fuel economy being rated 5 mpg better than the nearest competitor. Over the years that will make a huge difference. I used to have a Dodge 3500 crew long bed. In rural areas I'm not worried about parking... But try to get a ton dually into a downtown Chicago parking deck. It's a new branch of extreme sport even getting to downtown. If an F450 appeared at a good price, I would LOVE to get one. They don't seem to be very common used.

Don't even think about going into big cities and trying to find a parking spot with a dually truck (or any other truck for that matter). It is just not worth the hassle. If you REALLY need to get into the city, park it in some commuter lot outside of town and take the bus/train.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
That 5,905 payload is probably for a gasser...which has lots more payload because it does not have the heavy diesel engine. Also, unless GM changed their trucks for the new model year...ALL one tons are long beds, no SB option.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
That 5,905 payload is probably for a gasser...which has lots more payload because it does not have the heavy diesel engine. Also, unless GM changed their trucks for the new model year...ALL one tons are long beds, no SB option.
That 5905 is the listing on the GMC site for a 2011 Dually Diesel 4x4. The 2wd model is rated 6223 payload.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #20

Quote:

Sorry to bust your bubble but I have never achieved what the manufacture has advertises as their fuel mileage. From what I have read on other diesel forums, some of the new owners with the new LML's 2011 engines are seeing a combined highway/city 11 mpg average. They also have to buy Urea.
Check out this link:
Duramax 2011+ (LML) - TheDieselGarage.com
Jim W.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #21

Quote:
That 5905 is the listing on the GMC site for a 2011 Dually Diesel 4x4. The 2wd model is rated 6223 payload.
I'd believe those numbers when I see them on the Tire and Loading Information sticker located on the left side of the frame, usually on the driver's door.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #22

We have a 2004 Chev Silverado 2500 HD 4X4 ext. cab, short box, that we pull our 1995 Nomad 26.5 5th wheel with. Our 5th wheel is the mid profile with front bedroom. We do not have a slider hitch. I have not, as of this time had any problems with parking, hitching or un hooking without a slider. We camp mostly in the forrest and most of the time the ground is unlevel. Now we are not full timers, however I would see no problem with a shortbed for full time. I have relatives that full time and up until a year ago they used a short bed Ford to oull a triple axel 34' 5th wheel with.
All the information given here is great. Just thought I would put my experiences in. When we do go full time ( probably in 5 years) we will keep our short bed to pull the 5th wheel with.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #23

"nice" F550 on the northside of Dallas...

Cars for Sale: 2000 Ford Other Ford Models in GARLAND, TX 75048: Truck Details - 296700139 - AutoTrader.com
Old 05-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #24

I use tire capacity as a quick way to estimate the margin of safety.

On our 5th wheel we have 2-7000 lb axles with Load Range G tires, i.e. 14,000 lbs of axle capacity and 15,000 lbs of tire capacity. We carry 12,000 lbs on the axles for a 2,000 to 3,000 extra capacity.

We carry 6600 lbs on the drive axle of our dually w/4 load range E tires (E tires have approximately a 3000 lb capacity) with a capacity of approximately 12,000 lbs leaving 5400 lbs extra capacity.

We carry 4100 lbs on the steer axle w/2 load range E tires with a capacity of approximately 6000 lbs leaving 1900 lbs extra capacity.

If we carried/towed the same load with a single rear wheel truck our drive axle tire capacity would be overloaded by 600 lbs!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #25

Quote:
This is the kind of input I'm looking for. The loaded weight of the one we want, an Open Range Residential, is 18,000. The GMC dually is rated 21,000, but the SRW is only 17,000, so it looks like there is a dually in my future! It is rather hard to sort out hard facts from the myriad of ways they twist data points to try to look superior to each other. I have seen claims of 20,000# towing capacity on a half ton truck which is ridiculous.

Thanks for the input!
Just my two cents worth. I no longer tow a fifth wheel, but did so in the early nineties. Had an 2000 F250 Ford Diesel towing a 1999 32 foot Carriage Cameo. As much as I would like to think I am great behind the wheel and plan ahead, I hate to think how many times I ended up in tight spots and thanked the Lord I didn't go with a short bed. There are too many other things to worry about. Go long bed. I also wished I had gone with a larger fifth wheel. We currently have a 1998 Golden Falcon 35RLTS that is permanently located in a park that we recently purchased. It has three slides, and what a difference. I would recommend three or more slides. I also would recommend the dually. The majority of residents in the park we live in during the winter that still tow their fifth wheels have Ford F350 Diesel duallies. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #26

I probably dont need a F550, but i really like the storage on the sides, too bad the newer duallys dont have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawildman View Post
Old 05-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #27

That is definitely a custom bed. I've never seen one like it before.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I went down this process to just the point of purchase, with DW travel issues we went Class A. I owned a 2007 D/A CC SB 4x4 with a 50 gal fuel tank in bed, you will want an aux fuel tank. I scaled mine and with me a dog and fuel we weighed 7600lbs. Max on that truck was 9200lbs.

What you want will look something like this.

You can find these used for the same or less than a new decked out dually. You can find them with a "sleeper box" that has a potty/shower/microwave/TV/generator. Most come standard with an Allison but you can spec them with a super 10 for real pulling chores. Crew Chief will give you some ideas. It all depends on your budget.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote