Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #29

Beware of a long box with an articulating hitch. My partner in RV'ing has a 05 GMC Diesel long box 4X4 and where he got into trouble and still has the large dent in his box rail to prove it was when backing into a camp site he accidentally put the rear wheels on one side of the trailer off the raised parking pad. That allowed the 5th to sag downwards on that side and put a nice big divot in the top of his truck box rail plus tore a hole in the corner of the 5th wheels front cap. ($2400.00 later he had the cap repaired and to this day hasn't bothered with the box rail dent) It would have missed the box rail on a short box.

I have towed a 24' 5th wheel for 18 years with two short box trucks, (a 1990 Dodge Dakota and a 2002 GMC 1/2 ton) and have never come close to hitting the rear of my cab when jackknifed. I just bought a new 30 foot Cougar and a 3500 Dodge Ram short box and one of the first things I did was check out the clearance when jackknifed but it never came close. I did buy a sliding articulating hitch though just in case.

I use the p/u extensively around our urban/rural landscape so am conscious of it's length when parking. Short is better and backing in vs pulling in front wards IMHO is definitely better for me . . . . .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlaurie View Post
Beware of a long box with an articulating hitch. My partner in RV'ing has a 05 GMC Diesel long box 4X4 and where he got into trouble and still has the large dent in his box rail to prove it was when backing into a camp site he accidentally put the rear wheels on one side of the trailer off the raised parking pad. That allowed the 5th to sag downwards on that side and put a nice big divot in the top of his truck box rail plus tore a hole in the corner of the 5th wheels front cap. ($2400.00 later he had the cap repaired and to this day hasn't bothered with the box rail dent) It would have missed the box rail on a short box.
I've been towing 5th wheels with long bed duallies for over 15 years, and I have to admit this is the first time I've ever heard THAT "advantage" touted for a short bed truck. Did he have the minimum 6" clearance between the 5th wheel and bed rails? I sincerely doubt that the situation described would happen with anywhere near the same frequency as cab C-pillar dents and blown out back windows that are the bane of the short bed with a 5th wheel.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 AM   #31

I don't know if he had the minimum 6 inch box rail clearance or not and I agree that it doesn't happen that often except perhaps to those who choose to rough camp in uneven terrain a lot. I have RV'd extensively as well, (averaging about 30 days a year for the last 19 years)

Odd as well, though I hear a lot of talk about this happening I have never seen it actually occur. My 1992 Travelaire and 2010 Cougar all miss the C post and back window by a couple feet when deliberately jackknifed behind two different short box trucks.

I can see where, when it does happen, it could cause catastrophic damage.

Jeff
Old 05-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #32
D&J

I've been started pulling 5vers in 1987 and have always used a long bed and the last 10.5 years it's been a DRW. What I know for sure is I would never go back to a SRW with a heavy trailer and a long box is all I will have. In the park we worked in last winter I had to move (guide) a rig with a short box and a slider hitch, I asked him about sliding the hitch back and he said he has never had to with this trailer. Guess what happened to his back window
Another thing to think about is the short box trucks have smaller fuel tanks and if your are traveling that can be a very big deal. Are you sure about the brand of trailer you are looking at, there was 3 new ones in the park last winter and they all had major structural problems (major leaks, cracked sidewalls). They are a newer company without a track record.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Odd as well, though I hear a lot of talk about this happening I have never seen it actually occur. My 1992 Travelaire and 2010 Cougar all miss the C post and back window by a couple feet when deliberately jackknifed behind two different short box trucks.
I guess I'm struggling with this statement. If the trailer is at a 90 degree angle to the truck, it is projecting 1/2 its width toward the cab. Most RVs are either 96" or 102" wide. Assuming yours is a 96" wide RV, then 48", or 4', would be extending toward the cab as measured from the center of the 5th wheel hitch's kingpin bore.

5th wheel hitch manufacturers normally recommend installation of their hitches with the center of the kingpin bore anywhere from over the rear axle centerline to 4" ahead of the rear axle centerline. Although the rear axle admittedly may not be centered in the length of the pickup bed - it's generally biased slightly toward the rear of the bed, I don't recall seeing short bed (6'6", generally) trucks with the rear axle centerline 2/3 back in the bed, which it would have to be in order to be 4' behind the rear of the cab. That's the minimum that would be required for the side of the trailer to even clear the cab at a 90 degree angle, and depending on front corner protrusion of the RV as measured from the kingpin centerline, one might not be able to get to 90 degrees without cab-to-RV contact.

So, if you have a short bed truck, how can the side of the 5th wheel be "a couple feet" behind the rear of the cab at a 90 degree angle?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #34

I'll try and set up pictures next time I hook up. Might be the best way to demo what I'm saying. Won't be for awhile as I'm off today on an unhooked trip a 1000kms north of here for a week or two . . (babysitting Grandchildren . . . )

This is an interesting subject and don't get me wrong, I'd prefer a long box as well if I was traveling full time but for 11 months of the year of urban driving and parking, maneuvering my 1 ton short box is bad enough let alone adding extra length to the mix.

Jeff
Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #35

What next???

and now I read this . . . . . . . .

Dodge Ram steering under investigation - British Columbia - CBC News
Old 05-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #36

Quote:

lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #37

Send a message via AIM to coburncliff Send a message via Yahoo to coburncliff
Unhappy I need a slider

Just wanted to throw in my 2 worth. I have a F250 Crew cab SB, SRW, pulling a 33' Four Winds 5ver and can attest to the necessity of a slider hitch. The driver side rear roof line has a nice divot in it and the window is now plexiglass (until I can afford to fix them).
Old 05-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #38

I was running a 2005 GMC crew cab shortbox diesel 4X4, the 5th wheel was 15000 loaded. The first time I hooked the 5th wheel up to that truck I knew I did not have enough truck. The truck could pull it no problem but I had to put airbags under it until I could afford the GM Dually I have now. 18k is way too much for the truck you are looking at, no problem with the truck pulling it but not enough rubber and suspension under that much weight.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #39

My posting was about short box vs long box as it relates to turning radius and the nose of the 5th contacting the rear of the cab on the truck. I wasn't concerned re pulling ability as I specced my unit out well in advance of purchase. My trailer comes in at 10,100 fully loaded and my truck is a 3500 one ton Dodge rated to pull and support 16,000 lbs.

I'm curious though in your case what series of truck you purchased first then last? Were they 2500 or 3500's and with which ratio rear ends?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #40

Long VS Short

Quote:
My posting was about short box vs long box as it relates to turning radius and the nose of the 5th contacting the rear of the cab on the truck. I wasn't concerned re pulling ability as I specced my unit out well in advance of purchase. My trailer comes in at 10,100 fully loaded and my truck is a 3500 one ton Dodge rated to pull and support 16,000 lbs.

I'm curious though in your case what series of truck you purchased first then last? Were they 2500 or 3500's and with which ratio rear ends?
Go back to Page 1, I am replying to Thorfinn's posted message he is the one who started this post, he is the one wanting to pull an 18k 5ver with a single rear wheel setup.