Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #15

Rexhall Owners Group
We use the PFJ "RV Travel Guide" . Download is available on line, and some stations have hard copy pamphlets. This guide has a column "RV Lanes". These RV Lane pumps are set back from the normal gas islands, and allow more turning room. We have always managed to fit in one of these. We actually plan ahead to make a daily gas stop at one of these. Not every PFJ has them. In fact a brand new one built here in the city with my sticks and bricks does not. I was quite disappointed
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #16

Out West, if your not on a major interstate there aren't any Flying J's, Pilot's, or large travel centers. It's to bad because we avoid Interstates. We look for CFN stations, and there networks, usually Chevron. Most of these stations have a high canopy for trucks and large Rv's, and you can count on the fact that they sale large volumes of fuel usually means the fuel hasn't been sitting around very long sucking up water. I really hate to be in a position that forces me to use a little mom and pop fuel station to fill my tank with diesel. I wouldn't worry about that if I had a gas rig.

I will say its a welcome relief once we do get on the interstate when there are no other logical way to go, and I see the billboards for Pilot and large truck stops. Its so easy at that point. Again though, if your out west don't count on easy fuel stops on secondary roads. Take the less traveled roads, and you will really see America as it really is. There is so much we have seen and liked since we started doing this. Interstates are boring as hell.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Now I have a diesel TV and only stop at truck stops. Oh sure...my personal credit card will not work and I have to walk into the commercial part of the store and walk back, pump the diesel, then walk back into the store to pay.
For the ~12 years and 197,000 miles I towed with my F-250 diesel, I used the diesel pumps in the diesel lanes at truck stops all over the USA, and never had a problem using my ordinary personal Visa credit card or Master Card debit card at the pump. I almost always fueled up at Flying J because before Pilot bought them out, they almost always had the lowest diesel price in their area. We carried a Flying J locator card in the glovebox, and Darling Wife set the GPS to make one of them our interim destination every 300 miles or so.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #18

I have had the same problem at Pilot where my CC didn't work at the pump in NV, CA and Oregon
Sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #19

I've found that my Credit card will work about half of the time at Pilot/Flying J stations. I have found the rv island, if they have one will also except my good sam member card also. I saved .65 last fill up. Yee Haw!
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas