Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatboyM View Post
What do you mean by this? (speak with 3 owners? or look @ reviews?)
The various forums are a good start. Here is a link to one 6.7 Problems Forum - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #30

If you are going used l would not get a 6.0 Get a Cummins or a Duramax. The exhaust brake on a 6.0 suck and The motors rep is less then stellar. JMO
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #31

Cummins gets good fuel mileage. They run the same smog garbage that are on thier 15 liter engines. The newer motors using DEF get better mileage then just EGR but it is one more system
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Personally I would be looking at a F450. When you compare a F350 dually and F450 they are really the same basic truck with only a few differences to improve towing ability on the 450.
Not mine. I have a 2005 and when they went to install the 5 wheel the mounting kit they ordered for a 350 would not fit. Frame was way heavier.

My truck started life as a cab and chassis. I ordered it with options that give me a 33,000 GVWR. I pull a 18,000 5er. I am 842 under on the front axle, 4505 under on the rear axle, 3347 under the GVWR, 5136 under the GCVW, 6144 under the GTW, while the trailer is only 144 under the GVW.

I had to get the 4.88 rear ends so top speed is reduced. Driving at 60 is about the best mileage. Running empty I have got 16 mpg using actual numbers from the odometer and the fuel pump.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Best is to use a reliable source such as Consumer Reports. But CR doesn't usually report on the reliability of diesel-powered pickups. Maybe a fleet owner's forum or publication that is not tied to any brand of truck?

I suspect the only way to get the info right now is to spend a lot of time in the brand-specific diesel owner's websites, such TheDieselStop for Ford diesels, TDR Register for Dodge/Ram, and I'm sure there is a comparable website for GM diesels. On TheDieselStop, for example, you'll learn to be leery of the Navistar 6.0L engines used in 2003 thru 2007 model years unless you want to spend a lot of money to "bulletproof" the engine. The Navistar 6.4 from 2008 thru 2010 has better reliability, but MPG is not good because of the smog controls added to all diesels beginning in 2008. The 6.7 Ford diesel engines since 2011 has been surprisingly solid for a new engine from an American manufacturer.

The Cummins engines in Ram trucks had an excellent reputation until the same smog rules that blighted the Navistar engines also whooped on the Cummins
Got it, I have been on the diesel stop site & have years of owning gm products (gas), not to interested in the ram (heard similar issues to ford). I am leaning toward gmc 3500 srw ,then plan on lighter 5th wheel I future. Or jump into the outlaw RV! Great education & experience from all here, thanks.
FatboyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO it does not matter what brand you buy. It is like picking a sports team. There are fans and detractors for all of them.

What matters is buying the correct truck for the application you will be using if for. Many will tell you the engineers have built in a safety factor so you are alright if you go over a "little bit". I suspect very few of them are engineers. IMO it is far better to have a TV that is 10 - 20% too big than 5 - 10% overloaded.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #35

Quote:
Quote:
Best is to use a reliable source such as Consumer Reports. But CR doesn't usually report on the reliability of diesel-powered pickups. Maybe a fleet owner's forum or publication that is not tied to any brand of truck?

I suspect the only way to get the info right now is to spend a lot of time in the brand-specific diesel owner's websites, such TheDieselStop for Ford diesels, TDR Register for Dodge/Ram, and I'm sure there is a comparable website for GM diesels. On TheDieselStop, for example, you'll learn to be leery of the Navistar 6.0L engines used in 2003 thru 2007 model years unless you want to spend a lot of money to "bulletproof" the engine. The Navistar 6.4 from 2008 thru 2010 has better reliability, but MPG is not good because of the smog controls added to all diesels beginning in 2008. The 6.7 Ford diesel engines since 2011 has been surprisingly solid for a new engine from an American manufacturer.

The Cummins engines in Ram trucks had an excellent reputation until the same smog rules that blighted the Navistar engines also whooped on the Cummins
Got it, I have been on the diesel stop site & have years of owning gm products (gas), not to interested in the ram (heard similar issues to ford). I am leaning toward gmc 3500 srw ,then plan on lighter 5th wheel I future. Or jump into the outlaw RV! Great education & experience from all here, thanks.
The issues Cummins had in the early 6.7's was software related. They took care of those problems and since the 6.7 has been very trouble free.

Fact is RAM is J2807 compliant across all their pickup lines. They backup what they claim.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Quote:

duramaxforum.com
for Chevrolet/GMC
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice