Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Looking for Bigger Trailer

We are 1-year-olds in the RV world having bought our first TT last year. We absolutely love it. The only "mistake" we've made was to go to an RV show last month.

We are considering getting a slightly larger trailer next year and are starting our research process now.

Current setup:
- Ram 1500 Standard Cab w/tow package and 6' bed
- Heartland Mallart M185 (21') Appx 4500 lbs loaded
- Hitch installed by CW at purchase with sway control

For our next TT, I'm looking at 25' - 26' max with dry weight of around 5,500. Loaded I'd be somewhere near 6,100. My max trailer weight for Ram is 9,120 so I think I'd be ok on weight but am concerned about length. If I make sure I have good sway control, should I be ok around these specs?

Thanks,
Brenwol1
Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #2

You failed to mention year of your truck, so I have to assume it is a newer coil spring suspension. Again please remember to ignore the proposed trailers around 5500 pound dry weight. That number will only get you in trouble. Instead, look at the trailers GVWR. Also what is the scaled ready to travel weight of your truck? While I agree that the trailer might be OK if your truck has the 5.7L Hemi and not the under powered V6 you need to redo your numbers before jumping in with both feet and getting burned.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
You failed to mention year of your truck, so I have to assume it is a newer coil spring suspension. Again please remember to ignore the proposed trailers around 5500 pound dry weight. That number will only get you in trouble. Instead, look at the trailers GVWR. Also what is the scaled ready to travel weight of your truck? While I agree that the trailer might be OK if your truck has the 5.7L Hemi and not the under powered V6 you need to redo your numbers before jumping in with both feet and getting burned.
Sorry. 2016 Ram 1500
Old 04-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenwol1 View Post
Sorry. 2016 Ram 1500
Also, the ready to travel weight of my truck is around 5k
Old 04-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Wheel base on the truck 120.5"
Old 04-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #6

Quote:
By "around" are you saying you have not weighed it ready to travel? Please get real accurate weights and make your assessments based on that.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
For our next TT, I'm looking at 25' - 26' max with dry weight of around 5,500. Loaded I'd be somewhere near 6,100.
"Normal" RVers add about 1,000 pounds to the dry weight of a travel trailer. So count on a minimum of 6,500 pounds wet and loaded trailer weight.

"Normal" tongue weight (TW) averages 13% of wet and loaded travel trailer weight. So count on 845 pounds TW, plus another 100 pounds for a good weight-distributing/sway-control hitch = 945 pounds hitch weight.

Quote:
My max trailer weight for Ram is 9,120 so I think I'd be ok on weight …
Ignore that 9,120 "tow rating. That's not your limiter as to max trailer weight. The tow rating tells you the max weight your truck can PULL without overheating anything in the drivetrain, but not the max weight you an tow without being overloaded.

The limiter is probably the payload capacity available for hitch weight = GVWR of the tow vehicle minus the wet and loaded weight of the tow vehicle ready to hook up and depart on an RV trip. Subtract 100 pounds from the payload capacity available for hitch weight to determine payload capacity available for tongue weight. Divide the payload capacity available for tongue weight by 13% to determine the max trailer weight you can tow without bein overloaded.

Quote:
but am concerned about length. If I make sure I have good sway control, should I be ok around these specs?
If that 26' max is overall length, tip to tail of the trailer, then you should be fine. However, if that 26" length is the box length or floor length inside the trailer, then you're flirting with disaster.

And that assumes you not only have a good WD hitch with good sway control, but that the WD hitch is properly set up and adjusted to handle your actual hitch weight.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ignore SmokeyWren's knowledge and wisdom at your own peril.

Ignore dry weights. No one goes camping in a state like how it was delivered from the manufacturer, everyone puts stuff in it, puts batteries on it, fills the propane tanks, puts food in the fridge, clothes, etc., etc.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
By "around" are you saying you have not weighed it ready to travel? Please get real accurate weights and make your assessments based on that.
Correct. I will be going to actual scales on my next trip out in two weeks. Then I will have real numbers to work with. At the same time I posted this, I posted a question about weighing. Please have a look a that. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:00 AM   #10

120.5" wheelbase does not sound right to me. Is that truck a standard cab with a short bed?

The reason I ask is most crew cab trucks will have a wheelbase of 145" to 150". That makes a big difference in being able to control the trailer as it goes down the highway.

There was a handy chart floating around this forum that had wheelbase then length of trailer trailer safe to tow we with said wheelbase. Maybe someone will post it again.

But my knee jerk answer would be 'yes', you will still be ok with a 25' to 26' overall length trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
120.5" wheelbase does not sound right to me. Is that truck a standard cab with a short bed?

The reason I ask is most crew cab trucks will have a wheelbase of 145" to 150". That makes a big difference in being able to control the trailer as it goes down the highway.

There was a handy chart floating around this forum that had wheelbase then length of trailer trailer safe to tow we with said wheelbase. Maybe someone will post it again.

But my knee jerk answer would be 'yes', you will still be ok with a 25' to 26' overall length trailer.
Ram 1500 Standard Cab w/6'4" bed. The info I found was that that equals 120.5" wheel base. I'll recheck.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 AM   #12

If it is a standard cab then 120.5" is probably correct. I googled truck wheelbase vs trailer length and 120.5" should tow only short trailers. 26' is pushing it
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If it is a standard cab then 120.5" is probably correct. I googled truck wheelbase vs trailer length and 120.5" should tow only short trailers. 26' is pushing it
Yep. Measures 120.5".
Old 04-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #14

I was looking at a trailer with a dry weight of 8800lbs. Seemed pretty good but I needed to know for sure. I asked the dealership to take it to an actual scale and have it weighed. It came back at 9630lbs! The camper was empty with nothing else in it. Goes to show that "dry weight" actually means nothing
Permadirt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer