Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #57

Municipalities are tired of their Ford Ambulances dying along side of the road so many are going RAM. Also this has been so for MANY years RAM's are #1 with private RV haulers and HotShotters.

HA, I guess it takes a RAM to deliver a Ford to make sure it gets there.

New Ambulances being delivered.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Municipalities are tired of their Ford Ambulances dying along side of the road so many are going RAM.
True statement. One of the Guardsmen I flew with is the fleet manager of a municiple ambulance service and he was changing out his Fords for Dodges.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Most municipalities take the lowest bid. Manufacturers seem to rotate through the process and take turns getting the contract. Nothing to do with quality. Purchasing sets the criteria.

We had a fleet of misfits and the mechanics had fits trying to work on them all. Stocking parts was a nightmare.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #60

I guess I'm a minority here, which is fine. After a whole life of Mopars, (which I loved and still do), I love my new 15 Silverado 2500 4x4 Duramax/Alison SRW. A short bed crew cab yes. I think it will serve us well for many years.... And pull whatever we choose to fit "us" after we sell the class A ....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Most municipalities take the lowest bid. Manufacturers seem to rotate through the process and take turns getting the contract. Nothing to do with quality. Purchasing sets the criteria.

We had a fleet of misfits and the mechanics had fits trying to work on them all. Stocking parts was a nightmare.
Ansolutely wrong in my buddy's case. His issue was dependability in his ambulance fleet. His Fords could not hold up to his demands.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:24 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post

Absolutely wrong brother. This topic is my specific expertise. Local, State, and Federal Govt submit lengthy RFPs that outline their minimum requirements that vehicles need to meet before purchasing. Many LEOs are switching out their Tahoe Fleets to Ford Interceptor SUVs because Tahoes have a high cost of ownership and require more maintenance. It all comes down to cost of ownership. Though I do admit Ford had more problems with their 05-10 Diesel fleet vehicle, they are still the dominant Diesel fleet vehicle for most municipality's.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I guess I'm a minority here, which is fine. After a whole life of Mopars, (which I loved and still do), I love my new 15 Silverado 2500 4x4 Duramax/Alison SRW. A short bed crew cab yes. I think it will serve us well for many years.... And pull whatever we choose to fit "us" after we sell the class A ....
You are NOT alone, we also love our 15 Chevy HD 2500 we just put it through its paces & break in period pulling down from N Mi. to so. Fla. very pleased with how it pulls even with the 6.0 gasser & 4:10 rear, mileage wasn't bad 9.6 -10.7 at 65mph (figured with pen & paper) pulling our heavy 31' TT, I think people that don't even look at GM trucks are missing out on a great overall value, my .02 worth.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #64

Maybe I should clarify. Public Sector (Govt) agencies purchase SOME vehicles based strickly on general use. Other PS agencies spec out their vehicles very specifically to ensure they get the vehicle they are looking for. Price is always a factor, but less of one that many people think. It's not like GM, FORD, or RAM can simply go in and low ball the price to win the bid. 99% of the time, the bidding processes is bypassed because these vendors (auto manufacturers) have already "Fully Competed" their pricing on a state or national contract (HGAC, BuyBoard, DIR, Ext). The pricing is a pre-negotiated price that the PS agencies MUST pay for a product or service. This allows cities and agencies to avoid the lengthy, drawn out process of requiring 3 competitive bids for something as simple as a fleet vehicle purchase. The bidding process is generally used when a company is offer a product or service that is NOT available as a Fully Competed item on a State or National contract engine. Also, most municipalities purchase the vehicle they WANT vs the vehicle that meets the basic need.

To give you and idea: If the City of Atlanta wanted to change from Dodge Chargers to Ford Interceptors for their police force (I have no idea what they currently use), all they would have to do is word the RFP so that the Ford would be the best fit to their needs. They would put requirements in the description sections outlining features that only the Ford has. This happens everyday.

Most basic city fleet vehicles are always going to remain light duty cars and 1/2ton pickups. This is for fuel consumption purposes. When Cities purchase Diesel trucks, it's generally reserved for First Responders, Fire Rescue, and a public works/utility, and Parks and Recreation Depts. Though RAM and GM have definitely made HUGE sales in these areas, Ford is still, and by far, the most dominant. The 6.7L Powerstroke has proven to be a very reliable engine and many agencies that were on the fence because of the old 6.0 and 6.4 PS are happily upgrading to 2011-2016 Ford Vehicles.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:06 AM   #65

Now here is what a tow vehicle looks like. The reason you see all the RV delivery drivers running dodges is because they are paid peanuts to move these things. They buy the cheapest truck they can find. no problems dragging my 17000lb trailer up and down the mountains here out west

Seriously all 3 are great towing rigs nowadays. The competion between all 3 leaves us as the winners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150721_144604.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	116002  
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #66
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I agree. The gap has closed in recent years in the Big 3 Department and some newcomers are taking a stab at the podium.

When I picked out my truck, after making myself crazy trying to decide, I had to base it on what I needed, what I wanted and what truck could meet that criteria. I used everyone's opinions to help me pay attention on what to look for and what to watch out for. I had to read between the lines of "Chest Puffing" and what really mattered.
This helped me form an opinion of my own that would lead to the final purchase.

I wasn't buying it for anyone but me. I had to feel confident about my decision and I had to feel good driving it!

One of the best things I did was go to the dealers and take each of the Big 3 trucks for a weekend test drive. It gave me a chance to feel the truck in many of the ways I would be using it (except towing a 5th wheel). To kick the tires and put it through its paces, as it were.

For me, (when compared) the new Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 just simply checked the most boxes!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the consensus regarding all trucks having improved is sound reasoning.

When I was working construction the majority of trucks used in the oilfield and construction were Ford and Dodge. Chevy was considered a good highway truck but would not stand up in off road conditions. One exception was the contractor who owned the Chevy dealership.

I expect contractors may be having a difficult time now days finding stock trucks that stand up as well as the old ones no matter which manufacturer.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:02 AM   #68

As the original poster of this thread, it has been quite valuable for me to get some really informative feedback on the topic. It has also been interesting to see the topic meander to individual brand preference and staunchly stated brand loyalty. Thanks to all for the insight.

As origially mentioned, we purchased a 2016 Keystone Sprinter Campfire Edition 31 BH. The dry weight is 8195 lb and the GVWR is 10,000 lb. After many hours of research, dealer visits and test drives, I purchased a truck this past weekend. I went with a CPO 2014 Ram 3500 4x4 Bighorn Crew Cab SRW with the 6.4L Hemi and 4.10 gears. There were a number of driving factors to my decision; however, first and foremost were the towing specs of the truck in conjunction with my planned usage and the amenities for the price. I went with "more truck" then needed in order to have that extra peace of mind.
I have always been a "GM" guy; nevertheless, on this purchase, this particular vehicle made the most sense for me.

Looking forward to the commentary and thanks again for the good info.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #69
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingmike View Post
As the original poster of this thread, it has been quite valuable for me to get some really informative feedback on the topic. It has also been interesting to see the topic meander to individual brand preference and staunchly stated brand loyalty. Thanks to all for the insight.

As origially mentioned, we purchased a 2016 Keystone Sprinter Campfire Edition 31 BH. The dry weight is 8195 lb and the GVWR is 10,000 lb. After many hours of research, dealer visits and test drives, I purchased a truck this past weekend. I went with a CPO 2014 Ram 3500 4x4 Bighorn Crew Cab SRW with the 6.4L Hemi and 4.10 gears. There were a number of driving factors to my decision; however, first and foremost were the towing specs of the truck in conjunction with my planned usage and the amenities for the price. I went with "more truck" then needed in order to have that extra peace of mind.
I have always been a "GM" guy; nevertheless, on this purchase, this particular vehicle made the most sense for me.

Looking forward to the commentary and thanks again for the good info.
Seems to me you should be good with that choice.
What's your pin weight on the 5er and what's the GAWR on the truck?

BTW, I used to be a confirmed Ford guy.......till I bought the new Ram. You're likely going to switch teams to!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #70

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingmike View Post
I went with "more truck" then needed in order to have that extra peace of mind.
That, and the extra flexibility of having more truck, should serve you well. I've only had my Ram for a year, but it's been a great year.

Tags
tow