Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #1

Looking for your opinion

Bought a trail lite 30' bh. TT max weight is 6050#. Chevy Tahoe is rated to pull 7400#. I towed the TT home with Tahoe (weight bars used) last week and towed fine but only went about 20 mi and really didn't test it to the limits.

My ques is what do you think of this set up. Should I be aware of anything, I've pulled work trailers and hauled truck campers but always with 1 ton srw or duallys. I'm not worried about enough power, ( I know a big gas or diesel engine would do better than the 5.3 for pulling) but looking for input on any dangers. Plans are to buy a 2500 to pull with but also wondered if that's over kill for a TT of 6050#. Thx in advance for the input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ktimmons, as long as you are within the towing and weight ratings for your TV, then you should be good to go. With the 5.3 you won't win any mpg awards or win any speed events, but it is adequate. A 2500 dmax would be a super TV and give decent mpg and more than enough power, but they are expensive to buy. It is all in what you want, myself I won't tow anything with anything but a dually, but that is just me. With the 5'er that I have, need the dually for the weight rating. As long as you have weight bars and sway control, along with a good brake controller and good tires of the proper weight rating, sounds like your Tahoe will do just fine.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #3

Frank, thx for the input. A dmax 2500 is our goal! Couldn't pass up the deal on the TT and hoping to make due with Tahoe. The entire family is so excited to get the new TT out and use it and im glad to see them happy. Figured I'd borrow a dmax 3500, i know where to get one easily for a few days!!, when needed for long trips. Thx again
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Ktimmons, that is what we all are here for, to help others and share our experiences, good and bad. Hope that you enjoy your rig and have many enjoyable times with it. By the way, if you tow any distance with the dually, you will be hard pressed to go back to a SRW truck.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #5

I'd say enjoy it until you can get the 2500 but wait until the weight police get here.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd be worried about emergency maneuvers with that small of a tow vehicle.

You didn't mention the tongue weight. Any problem with keeping it all level?

The sooner you get to a bigger tow vehicle the better.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #7

It looks like your TV/RV weights are OK.

Concerning power a long time friend of mine told me- Small engine, go slow and get P*** P*** mileage, big engine, go fast and get P*** P*** mileage. It is your choice.
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #8

Thx to all for the above info. Arch can't remember tongue weight off the top of my head but, believe I had about 200# to spare, with the WD bars it set level and looked good w/o the bars you can tell there is a load and don't plan on towing without them. Thx again
Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #9

They only real issues would be if you live in an area with alot of hills or mountains. Then you are going to have some pulling issues. You are well within limits and don't worry about the weight police. They like to B****.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Your probably ok but not much room for towing hills, mnts or hot weather. Watch youe engine and tranny temps. The first to go will be the tranny.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #11

I've been towing a 5,200 lb trailer w/ Chevy 5.3L engine for the last eight years. My tow rating is lower than yours (older model conversion van), but we are working with proportionally similar set-ups. Sure, I'd like more of a powerhouse, but the van is our only vehicle, and I'm saving up for a dually/5'er rig for season long full-timing w. the family.

My thoughts:
1. I am at the upper limit of tow capability, but happy with the set up.
2. I stay at/below 60 mph. Safe, efficient speed that gives me power to spare when necessary.
3. I get about 9.5mpg towing.
4. Pay attention to engine temps during summer traffic and mountains. I only go worried once when engine temp. spiked in 98 degree, DC beltway rush-hour traffic (never had to cut the a/c though).
5. When in doubt slow down 10 mph for a few miles or take a break. Did this two other times, in the mountains at hwy speed.
5. Plan ahead for the steep/long uphills. Expect the tranny to downshift or you to apply a lot of gas to maintain hwy speed.

I think you'll be okay, enjoy!
Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #12

Do your required tranny maintenance per the owners manual.

100k miles and no problems.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #13

Good info. I never gave the tranny much thought. Got wrapped up in weights and power. We definitely plan on taking it easy, better to get there slowly and safely rather than set any speed records.
Saltydog sounds like you're in a similar situation to ours, making due with what we have until we can get our dream rig, but I figure if we are having fun and making memories it's worth it and will get to that big rig setup someday. Thx
Old 01-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #14

I'll drink to that, responsibly though, so we can cherish the memories!