Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #43

I think you may be expecting too much from your diesel. I also have a 2003 GMC with duramax. 176,000 miles. No Problems. I've read all the posts. Without knowing what grades your going up. Very hard to tell if your having power problems. Depending on the grade and my towing experience with my rig, I would say your rig may be doing just fine. Not uncommon to loose 10-15 mph on my rig when I tow. If you are still in doubt, I would either get it dynoed or maybe have it chipped. Sounds like it runs fine though. 13,000 is a lot of weight. That's going to slow you down more than what you think. Good luck.
bginpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #44

If you had a real problem, I would think the dealer would have found it. Is your truck chipped or are you running stock? I would recommend shifting into manual and downshifting when the RPMs drop below 1500. Like many have said, you are towing a pretty heavy load.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #45

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Adding a lift pump can help the CP3, look into Airdog lift pumps, I had one on my 2005 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax. A cheaper thing to try first would be shim the FPRV, fuel pressure relief valve. dieselplace.com and duramax forum are two good forums to learn from about your LB7.
Having owned a Chevy, GMC, Dodge, and now a Ford I can safely say that they all have there shares of good and bad.
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #46
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmatt View Post
The truck has stock tires as far as I know, though I don't know what size originally came on it -- it's not jacked up or anything. I do not have a pyrometer. The engine is an LB7, but it was replaced (entirely) a few years ago.

I have not weighed the trailer yet, but it didn't have a whole lot in it as I was not towing it to use it for anything at the time. So I just took the dry weight and added ~1200 or so lbs. to adjust for the stuff I know the previous owner added, some cargo, and some water weight in the tanks. I do plan on weighing it soon as I'm going to start actually using it.

I did not use cruise control as I didn't know if I should while towing. But it sounds like that is fine. It might help even out my speeds, I suppose.

I do not know the "normal" RPMs. I will pay attention to that next time I'm on the highway. I did try using it without tow/haul mode briefly and that hill performance seemed worse.

Tow capacity is 14700 for the fifth wheel. I think the rear axle ratio is 3.73. I do not know the toque and horsepower ratings.

Sounds like replacing the fuel filter should be on the list. The air intake is an aFe aftermarket setup, and I know it is dirty and needs cleaning. I'll try those two things and weigh the trailer once it's loaded and go from there, I guess.

Thanks for the input so far.
If you have a 373 rear end you don't have as good pulling power.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I pulled 15,500 with a 2002 Chevy truck and stock it would downshift on every hill or grade but in 4th it would accelerate back up to cruise speed setting. Got irritating so I put an edge products box on it, solved that problem.

Your weight should not be causing the problems you are claiming so something may be wrong. I didn't notice if you have weighed the rig and all that, if your real weight is what you say then you have a problem, if you are pulling more weight then it may be what it is.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
"If you have a 3:73 rear end you don't have as good pulling power."

CD... all Chevy trucks with diesel have 3:73 rears!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #49

My brother has a 2009 gmc 2500 with duramax. When he pulled a 24' enclosed trailer with atv's in it almost every hill we climbed the truck came out if 6 th gear and back to 5th to climb it. I have always driven dodge cummins trucks and needless to say i was not impressed. Once the truxk did change to 5th gear it would hold speed fine. I am thinking your older duramax with less torque than his 09 that maybe fine you just have alot of weight and thats as fast as it could go.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #50

We pulled out 14k trailer all through Tennesse to Missouri and could easily maintain 65 mph through the mountains. Of course my tuner provided me 1200 ft lbs of tq and 14 mpg.

I will say that Dodge was such a nice TV and the exhaust brake helped tremendously.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #51

Well, I fixed the problem. Traded the old truck on a newer one. Replaced the 2003 Sierra with 256k miles and a 300 HP engine with a 2006 Silverado with 105k miles and a 360 HP engine.
gtmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #52

I towed with a 03 Dmax and was underwelmed to say the least, My current TV is a 98 6.5 TD Dually with a few adjustments if you get my drift, It will out tow and outrun a older Dmax or Powerstroke
Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmatt View Post
Well, I fixed the problem. Traded the old truck on a newer one. Replaced the 2003 Sierra with 256k miles and a 300 HP engine with a 2006 Silverado with 105k miles and a 360 HP engine.

I like your style.

If you need more power buy a more powerful engine.

Problem solved.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

I like your style.

If you need more power buy a more powerful engine.

Problem solved.
I bought a $325 programer 6 years ago. Gained up to 125hp.

Tags
diesel