Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #29

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
Note the discrepancies between the Cummins article and the Chevron position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see any. The Chevron article was written in August 2005 when information was very sketchy. It was same month that Cummins issued their bulletin that now based upon experieince they say was unneeded.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
Hi, ok I have to ask the 60 million dollar question, Us older trucks will"
a}start leaking fuel all over the highway
b}start leaking oil or burning oil-on units over 100,000 + thousand miles
c}Run away and blow-up whth the usially loud Bang!
Did I miss anything? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
possibly d) none of the above or e) all of the above.

ULSD has been around since at least 2003 being used primarily by PC dominated organizations like Municipal bus companies withut any major problems being reported. BP and others were selling it but no signage so no one knew what they were burning. Combine that with truck fleets and now all most 4 months of 100% of usage months in California and 100% since October in Canada with minimal if any reports of troubles, its looking like another non-event blown out of proportion by media (same stories repeated over and over with exactly same wording meaning writers weren't doing origianl investigatve work but relying on the one story and worse not even attributing it- btter known as plargarism) and e-group comments not based upon facts but hersay e.g a leak may have been experienced by someone which without careful investigation one can't automatically conclude it was a result of ULSD.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:29 PM   #31

For sure, less miles per gallon and slightly longer to start the engine.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a leak may have been experienced by someone which without careful investigation one can't automatically conclude it was a result of ULSD. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sure our leak was purely coincidental, but not 100% sure . It is fixed and now I won't have the EPA following me around
Old 01-08-2007, 06:55 AM   #33

My 6.0 PS diesel seems to like the new stuff. I have only used about 15 tanks and I have not towed with it yet but the fuel usage has not changed as far as I can tell.....it seems to be slightly quieter and I am thinking that is due to the higher cetane rating that most of the ULSD,s have. Staring also seems improved but that is just a subjective observation.
Ian
Old 01-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just put in my first tank of ULSD and it seems that my 7.3L has a bit more cackle at an idle. Other wise runs fine unloaded. The test will be with the first tow.

Ken
Old 01-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I will be replacing the o-rings at the drain valve next weekend. It started about two month ago. Drip, drip, drip. I could not figure out where it was coming from.
On the ford diesel site there is a "fix" posted and where to get the two "viton" o-rings needed. All for $5.00. Ford sells a kit for $39.00
http://www.thedieselstop.com
Go figure.
I am leaking more fuel, causing more pollution because of the effects of the fuel on my engine's o-rings. Here's hoping that this will not affect the injector o-rings.
Chet